Will it hurt me to use integrated graphics?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mahlon, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mahlon

Mahlon Pen Pal - Newbie

Will using integrated graphics (like in the R25) give much less performance than having dedicated graphics (like in the M7 with NVS QUADRO addon) if I'm going to use the tablet with Painter and Photoshop? Don't Painter and Photoshop rely more on processing power and RAM to do their thing?

And I mean in the above situation that both machines processors would be equivalent.

Thanks,
    Mahlon

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

RAM will make a huge difference in performance for Photoshop and Painting apps. I would not sweat the integrated graphics unless you are worried about CAD or gaming.

3. Mahlon

Mahlon Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, thanks Barry, that's what I thought.

I've another question about tablet pcs, well laptops in general. What is the standard modem speed? Is the max 56k from most?

Mahlon

4. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

I think 56k is the most you can expect from any standard notebook, tablet or desktop modem - and on top of that, most dial-up connections are incapable of even reaching the 56k speed. (Someone may be able to better elaborate or refute that).

With regard to your earlier question; does anyone know what the Intel 950 Graphics chip is or isn't capable of? A friend wants to buy a Laptop with that graphics card and he isn't a "hardcore" gamer, but he does like games like NHL 2006. I have the card in my Portege M400, but I've never actually made an attempt to install a game on it. Does anyone think that I could confidently tell him that he should be able to play that game on an Intel 950 card? (I'd test it out myself, but I don't have the game)

He was also looking at an Acer with an Intel Graphics Accelerator 900 card, which I gather is one step below the 950. I told him that I'm pretty sure that NHL 2006 won't play on that one, but I wasn't 100% sure. Does anyone know if that one is a fairly decent card?

Primarily, he wants the notebook for doing PowerPoints and school notes, etc., but the NHL 2006 question kept coming up, so if anyone would be able to shine some light on that question, it'd be much appreciated.

5. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

Why don't you just borrow the game from him and test it? Or install the demo.

As for 56k (remember that traslates to 7KB/s), it's called that because that is the capacity of it. Some companies make products that claim to increase dialup speed but they don't actually do that. They do things like increase the cache and other stuff that you can probably do yourself anyways.

Who uses dialup anymore anyways? If you are strapped for cash there are plenty of free wifi spots like cafes, and such, and maybe there's an unsecured wireless connection near your home, but I'm not suggesting that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

Lol some people live in the wilderness and don't have access to boardband....it happens man. Like in the midwest....(of the US)

7. thddragon85

thddragon85 Pen Pal - Newbie

hopefully that will change with the advent of using powerlines to transmit internet signal

8. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

You could always get a satelite or mobile phone connection, but those are kinda expensive.

9. thddragon85

thddragon85 Pen Pal - Newbie

yep, the powerlines are supposed to be *cheap*, veeeery cheap...

10. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

First, 56k is simply as fast as dial-up can go. It's a physical limitation of the telephone system. And in fact, you can't ACTUALLY get above 54k.

As for the performance of the Intell card, it sucks to high heaven.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.