Will iPadOS 15 be a significant upgrade?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by COGBABY, Jun 4, 2021.

?

Will iPadOS be a significant upgrade?

1. Yes, it will unlock the full potential of the M1

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, it will bring only minor enhancements

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@dellaster
    I think you hade mentioned that you are using an iPad Mini?

Our own folks that have been trying out the beta have come to the consensus that it seems to be far more optimized and focused on the full size iPads and that on the mini it feels "a bit cramped or crowded".

I haven't tried it on the mini yet as my daughter absconded with mine for an extended trip she's on.

2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

@desertlap - iPad mini 5, yes. Cramped? Doing what? I have not noticed any space difference yet. Then again, I’m not filling the screen with widgets. I’ll likely end up with only two or three.

3. dellaster

Okay, as it’s currently implemented I can’t live with it hiding my IP address from websites. Having to go through a two-factor authentication nearly every time I visit Amazon.com is too annoying, for example. So I switched to just hiding it from trackers.

47634B74-B187-46EF-8A75-FBA2A9422E01.jpeg

4. dellaster

Hm, maybe turn it off completely? Though some of the problem is that I’ve found myself in private browsing mode without realizing it, how I activated it unknown. They certainly have moved stuff around. I wager that the type of person who gets upset about the Windows Start button being moved would have a nuclear meltdown if they were used to iPadOS 14 Safari and then tried this beta version. :D:p

dstrauss and desertlap like this.
  5. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know. I was completely in that world. I had an M1 Macbook Pro, so many hackintoshes, iPhone 11 Pro Max, and an iPad 7th gen with Apple Pencil...

I found it to be both stifling and exhausting to keep up with all the damn different nuances to the OSes. Apple is countering by "iOSifing" the Mac OS until it is a power user version of the iPad (without touch or stylus of course)--a shell of what it once was in the BSD halcyon days of the big cat days.

Anyway, I had my gaming PC (and former Hackintosh) take a dump on me, so I had to look around. After an aborted attempt at a Lenovo (the touchscreen was awful) I decided to try my wife's SP5 for a week. It was actually kind of nice having a device that was the same as my new gaming PC. I could ditch both the iPad and Macbook.

I was still on the fence until the CSAM debacle. Let me be clear. I don't really like image searching by Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, etc., but at least that is something I can choose not to use. Installing a purposeful back door onto all my Apple devices? It was time to move on. I have a SP7 and will get a Pixel (I haven't used Android since the Galaxy Note 2 days, but I am exited to hand down my Apple Watch Series 2 and my iPhone and get to it. Apple tried to say that privacy is all that matters and then did this.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Right? As much as I believe that fighting child abuse is important, and as much as it sounds like at least initially that is all they look for, it still feels really invasive and as a dangerous precedent. It definitely changed my mindset from 'all in' on Apple back to 'wait and see'.

dellaster and Eltos like this.
  7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I remember reading in the "pros and cons" of having a SMART speaker in the home which would give people like Amazon live access your daily life - workers at Amazon hearing all sorts of stuff when they were randonly testing the audio and voice responses of their Alexa - from domestic assault to abuse but the question of privacy meant they couldn't report things to police. That's a discussion in itself however there already seem to have been suggestions that Alexa called police during one domestic abuse incident.

Without offering an opoinion, as far as I've read - all the companies have been able to surf and view your files as they go up onto the cloud for quite a while already, it's just that Apple stated they were going to actually do something with the images. So setting the precedent doesn't really matter - what is more of a precednt is that there would be an active interest by an AI to identify questionable material.

As it is, grandma's pics of grandkids in the bath would have to be 2nd checked by a human as I think normally though that there's so much data going back and forth that no human could ever sit and sift through what is being uploaded.

8. Eltos

Eltos Scribbler - Standard Member

The problem is that this is they built a backdoor onto their idevices and currently are only using it for this. In the future? Either way, the ends don't justify the means for me anyway. Your mileage may vary.

9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Had our new M1 Mac Mini for 2 months now alongside our iPad and the iPadOS file system is even more grating than when I could compare it to the old MacBook.

To be clear - I don't sync everything through the two Apple devices. I manage the work Instagram on the iPad and so I email pics from my work PC email to the iPad and it is the most painful thing to go through finding the files on the iPad so Instagram can upload them. Yeah, I could easily allow my employer emails on my M1 Mini and probably use my personal iCloud to transfer work files across but I don't want to do employer work on my personal device.
    The iPad - my employer contributed half the cost so I have no problem using it for work.