Will iPadOS 15 be a significant upgrade?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by COGBABY, Jun 4, 2021.

?

Will iPadOS be a significant upgrade?

1. Yes, it will unlock the full potential of the M1

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, it will bring only minor enhancements

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Thanks @Marty

What do you know, I learned from that video that my 2016 iPhone SE will get iOS 15. That will make the seventh iOS version on it. As the guy says, this kind of support is one of the things that keep people happy with their iStuff.

2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok, so the short answer is no I don't.

The longer answer is that I do think there is going to be a gradual paradigm shift away (it's already started) from the dominance of the traditional laptop and desktop for general computing. But the current "weaknesses" perceived or real of the current chip options available for Windows devices has zero to do with it.

And our recommendations for the vast majority of users is still windows based systems for many reasons, including for the diversity of features , vendors and price points.

The Mac represents a very good albeit premium (price wise) choice especially for new users and or people already locked in to the iPhone. For anybody else that's been using for Windows for awhile in anything but a non casual way, their best bet is to stick with Windows.

For perhaps the most casual user that needs something a bit more than their smartphone, a better option might actually be a Chromebook.

Simply put there is way to much inertia, dominance,momentum, whatever you choose to call it for pretty much the major majority of people to go to the trouble of switching. And I dont see anything on a least the medium horizon that will change that. Apple will continue to sell well to their base, pick up some new users along the way and likely continue to be by far the most profitable PC company.

But realistically , they are extremely stragetigic about the segments they choose to compete in and leave vast swaths to others. Anecdotally and I don't know if it's still true today, but a couple of years ago HP made the assertion that they sell more Pavlions the Apple sells Macs.

TLDR It's fun to read and argue about especially technically seeking but the Mac to date is still not a significant threat Windows or Intel or AMD.

And with that I'm out as one again we have gone pretty far in to the weeds again :)

PS: And this is speaking as a relatively recently Mac convert for my personal systems with the 27 inch iMac and iPad Pro 11 that I bought in mid 2019. I still use Windows systems for work however.

PPS: Based on what we hear from MS employees, MS is more concerned about chromebooks than they are Apple

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A lot of those "new things" were things that already existed in higher end Android tablets. I'm not being so simplistic as to say Apple didn't introduce anything new but certainly, the Android community felt there is a real danger to Android's development in the new iPadOS 15.

https://www.androidauthority.com/apple-ipados-15-android-tablet-vs-ipad-1233003/

There's been a lot of fevered speculation that Apple was going to create a MacOS iPad Pro, however I think Apple's real target isn't Windows users but its continued war on Google and Android. The very small niche tech and advanced Mac user market definitely wanted a touchscreen iPad Pro running full power Apps but in retrospect, we are a really tiny element of the overall Apple market and iPadOS isn't going to change for the few. Not while the vast majority of buyers absolutely love their iPads and what the iPad does best and so simply.

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As the business buffs like to say, the (amortized) TCO is actually quite low and surprisingly competitive with budget offerings. ;)

You know, I am basically just one step agreement with you actually :)...except on the point of software ecosystem.

If the PC makers are ok with an IE-like slow decline over the next 5 years, that's fine—except they are sacrificing the new developer base for the next 10 years.

Developers pick platforms and don't like to switch. If the modern productive workflow moves to mobile/desktop hybrid (already happening, as you alluded), as a new developer I am 100% going base my new codebase on Apple silicon right now. The OS/hardware synergy is there, the platform integration is there, the mobile user base is there, there are too many factors in alignment to ignore.

Sure, I might also support Windows because it still has market inertia, but it will always be grudging, second-rate support. Just look at how Adobe was able to port their apps in record time to M1—it's their strategic priority.

So my question as a consumer is which do I choose: the platform which mostly gets maintenance updates to legacy code, or the platform where most software innovation and design is occurring?

And going back to @dellaster's comment about longevity of Apple devices. If I'm a parent looking to buy a kid his/her first real computer, sure I could go with a budget 2-3 year option, but why not pay double for device that will last for 5+ years through the kids' whole education, is capable of running professional software when/if my kid needs it, and is itself beautiful hardware?

I guess what I'm saying is right now is the battle for the next dominant productivity device, not so much in terms of sales, but in terms of developer and consumer mindshare. And here I think PC makers are really dropping the ball.

5. dellaster

@Marty - and let’s not forget that after long ownership the resale value is a significantly higher percentage of the original price than Windows or Android devices, further reducing the TCO.

Marty likes this.
  6. desertlap

I actually started as an Apple user going all the way back to the Apple IIGS and a Mac SE was the first system I purchased with my own money.

I stuck with Apple until the Power PC era and essentially abandoned them for windows when they reached their nadir prior to Jobs return.

And then in 2019 I wandered back in with the iPad Pro 11 and then later in the year when I got a great deal on an iMac 27 which replaced an aging desktop system (and also does double duty at times as the family computer). I'm at this point separating my iPhone from this discussion as I tried just about everything else offered including windows phone before settling on the iPhone as a practical matter.

On the positive side, I once again appreciated how well the various parts of apple stuff works with the other parts, such as continuity and photos and iMovie.

OTOH the numerous albeit minor differences between Office Mac and Office for Windows continue to drive me to distraction as does the various Adobe apps.

And I still chafe at how rigid both Mac OS and IOS are in some ways, including IMHO the ridiculous refusal of apple to allow any type of multi-user options for IOS. I sort of get it with the iPhone, but for the iPad it's just arbitrary . If anything the iPad is by far potentially the closest to an ideal shared device.

My broader point back to what @Marty and I were going back and forth, is that the barriers to switching are significant, to the point that 18 months later I still stumble. I think that the people that populate this forum are at least somewhat like me in being more than average versed and invested in tech, but the broader computer population isn't and to date, regardless of the remarkable things Apple has done with their tech, I still haven't see a true " game changing " moment from them yet.

Maybe the forthcoming rumored 14 and 16 inch MB pro's will start the ball rolling down the hill, but given how incremental Apple has been especially under Tim Cook, I'm still not seeing any sea change in the broader market regardless of how stumbling and inept parts of the Wintel world is right now.

I hope that changes soon as a resurgent Windows would spur Apple to evolve their own offerings faster and vice versa.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    COGBABY likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I guess it all basically comes down to this. We all want healthy competition...in all segments of the PC space, not the carving out of domains where one company reigns.

As much it may seem we have bandied words to no effect and little interest on this thread, I actually want to say I greatly appreciated this discussion, @desertlap. You've helped me clarify the industry sticking points that have been jostling about in my head, and I always appreciate someone taking the opposite, and in this case more difficult, side of the argument.

Cheers! ;)

COGBABY likes this.
  8. desertlap

@Marty I took it in that spirit :) Due to the nature of my job I'm often witness to customers going through similar possible changes i.e they hire a new CIO for whatever reason and he or she comes in and sometimes want to drastically overhaul a significant part of the way they have operated for years.

We just had one that went from 4 large on premise data centers to Azure/cloud and one tiny onsite one soley to support a couple of legacy apps they intend to replace sometime next year when they find to contract out suitable replacements

This included moving all employees totally to active directory and one drive as well, and they also killed off one small department that was using Macs. It was an ugly 9 months for the CIO, but she ultimately got what she wanted and they have already reduced costs by almost 20%

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    COGBABY likes this.
  9. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

I started with my dad’s Mac Plus and stuck with Apple until Wacom released their Cintiq Companions. I used two generations of their clunkiness before getting a 2nd gen iPad Pro.

I’ve now got an MSI Creator Laptop and Cintiq 16 Pro, but it’s still the iPad that gets almost all the use.

Phone-wise I’ve been loyal to Galaxy Note for several years now.

Now I’m in a quandary because my Apple Pencil is dead (flat battery?) and my iPad has a cracked screen (still useable).

I was really hoping that iPadOS 15 would be a serious upgrade, so that would justify the purchase of an M1 iPad Pro, and I could sell my laptop and Cintiq.

The hope of Windows 10 for me was that an app like Photoshop would elegantly switch between desktop and tablet mode on a tablet PC.

Photoshop for iPad has the UI happening but many features are still absent.

I’m now wondering if Windows 11 will introduce better ways of interacting when using it hand-held…

10. dellaster

For the first time ever I have joined the Apple beta program. Just iPadOS 15 beta this time.

Main attraction is iCloud Private Relay (I already pay $1/mo for 50GB iCloud storage, so it’s “free”) along with the private iCloud mail thingie. 97%* of my web browsing is via Safari on my iPad mini 5, 2.95%* via Safari on my iPhone SE (2016), so it’s a really good fit for me.

So far so good. Hmm, widgets on the home screen are something different. :newpalm:

*percentages are WAGs.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021