Will iPadOS 15 be a significant upgrade?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by COGBABY, Jun 4, 2021.

?

Will iPadOS be a significant upgrade?

1. Yes, it will unlock the full potential of the M1

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, it will bring only minor enhancements

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The on-going integration is interesting, but the bottom line is I want a Mac tablet, and Sidecar would be much more useful to me than the Synergy-like control of multiple devices. Either way though, the expense is a high bar to get past, esp. when I need to replace all of my apps (and Serif's Affinity Designer is nowhere near a replacement for Macromedia Freehand MX).

That said, I find my new MacBook Pro a lot less comfortable to use than the PowerBook G3 or G4 which my sister gave me (and which mostly my wife used) --- the Touch Bar is under-utilized (is there AppleScript support for it?) and it's been a struggle getting some opensource apps running, and I miss the touchscreen on my GB12, and I miss having the option of a stylus (I would occasionally use a Wacom ArtZ connected through an RS-232 USB adapter on the PowerBooks and the new Wacom EMR on the GB12 and similar devices has been the best yet for me) --- the trackpad isn't quite right either, I don't find the gestures as workable, and this clicking in to a preview thing interferes w/ dragging and dropping.

Guess I should have bought an Axiotron ModBook Pro.

dellaster likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@WillAdams
    Serious question and no agenda other than wanting to understand better. But why a Mac Tablet versus an iPad that is equally powerful and at least as importantly with apps that are the equal in power to the Mac versions (apples pro apps such as final cut or Adobe Photoshop).

Reason I ask, is that there is growing consensus among my peers tha if anything the Mac is moving towards IOS and not the other way around.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Appreciate the counter-case argument, but the OEMs are by no means helpless bunnies here.

For one, they could not kill Windows X or more specifically, efforts like containerization to minimize the continual drag of code rot.

Qualcomm could reduce the prices of 8cx so manufacturers can release Atom-level Windows ARM devices at reasonable prices: $300-500 for a netbook-like general purpose PC.

Chip vendors could announce new ultra-low-power SOCs, such as Intel iterating on the very successful m3-8100Y or AMD announcing their sub-5W Pollock APU.

What I find baffling is not that OEMs are behind in the power-performance curve, but that they are not even announcing plans to reach parity.

Is this true though? I'm an example of a PC 'power user' for whom power efficiency is important, and who values constant advancement in UX and code refactoring.

I've been waiting for a sign from the PC industry that these things are coming, but all I see is the same stagnant software environment.

As more and more major developers transition to Apple's efficient platform, how can you be sure the effect won't snowball to users?

dellaster likes this.
  4. desertlap

@Marty To your first point, maybe not bunnies, but they are certainly tied to either intel or AMD or Qualcomm , none of which addresses any of the issues raised.

In fact only Samsung right now is a chip maker in the PC OEM crowd, and to date they have only announced vague intentions such as partnering with AMD to produce an Exynos with AMD graphics, but it's not even clear that it will be a WOA chip. In fact its more likely to end up in a Galaxy Tab or Fold 5, then a WOA device.

Not to mention that the OEMS already face substantive resistance with AMD especially in corporate , so how is an Exnos based system going to go over?

To your second point. The Samsung Galaxy Book Go is so far the only 7Cx system announced (though we hear more are coming). It certainly hits the price point possibly, at $349, but they are facing a couple of enormous headwinds there. One, that config is also with 4GB RAM. and based on our tests with a reference system, the X86 emulation there makes a Celeron look speedy. I can picture a consumer buying one of these, installing their copy of Office Home or their daughters Pepa Pig Game and quickly coming to the conclusion "this sucks..."

Not to mention again the damaged perception of WOA generally in the market, deserved or not.

To the third point, that's possible and MS could be the key here. If they were to come out with their own custom ARM chip, it could open the door to an OEM like Dell to try their hands at it as well.

But that last is one ginormous if....

TLDR. Despite the gnashing of teeth here, I don't think any of the OEMS are feeling any heat from Apple at all (yet). And in fact because of the Pandemic, many have had some pf the best sales quarters ever as people purchased/upgraded for WFH. Of course you could possibly call that shortsighted, but when. was the last time you saw genuine market leadership in the PC space versus scuffles on the margins between individual vendors.

in other words, they can't create something out of whole cloth as they lack the resources to do so.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    dellaster likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Just musing here, when was the last time when MS introduced something in Windows 10 that made you go "Oh that's cool"? Windows Phone doesn't count.. I guess Cortana was cool for a bit? Live tiles were kind of cool on the phone, but not on the start menu (because it only shows for like two seconds when you launch something). The new settings pages just keep looking unfinished and drab, and really were introduced for small screens, except MS is making no moves to do more with small screens (why the hell not???), etc. I guess the "Your phone" initiative is good, but I'm on iOS so it doesn't do anything for me. Side note: Windows search is still a pain, there's no good built-in backup solution that I'm aware of.

Meanwhile half the things Apple showed make me go "oh cool, that makes so much sense". MS, not so much. Or am I forgetting important things?

desertlap and dellaster like this.
  6. Marty

I'm sorry, I couldn't help but notice the number of if's, could's, and maybe's in your last post... :p

But I mean, isn't that precisely the problem? There is nothing concrete. No hallmark, no vision, no dates, no bold claims (like Qualcomm made 2 years ago). Nothing to ignite the imagination of the tech press or general user base.

You can't drive a platform forward on a train of hypotheticals; you can't get consumers excited without a vision of the future.

When I look at the new iMacs from Apple, I can see it. But what exactly is that for the PC?

7. desertlap

@Marty
    I guess I'm losing your point here. My response was more about why I thought the way things are the way they are. In other words. The PC OEMS don't have any real options at the moment and perhaps more importantly don't feel any real urgent need to pursue other options either.

As impressive as what Apple has done/is doing, the reality is that at least so far it's not making a meaningful dent in the overall market. Apple is making their users happy and gaining brand new ones which serves them well with continued record sales and the high margins that accompany them

And I would point out that if you are going to point out my post was full of "ifs" , your last few have been equally full about "what about" and "why not" without any answers from you.

Like I said, my view is the OEMs are in the "if it ain't broke why fix it mode"

I fully support you going all in on Apple, Mac IOS etc. Let us know how it goes, but I'm certain you will find the transition much more challenging than you anticipate. I have no doubt you can do it specifically, but I think the barrier for the windows user base at large is a showstopper.

PS: The story around The M1 is that Apple started work on it after the release of the iPhone 6. If that's true (ok I'll give you one if :)) then the PC market has a long wait ahead of it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Because I don't want to be limited to apps from the app store, and I prefer the freedom of a "real" file system, having a Miller-column file browser, Services, &c. I also like having emacs shortcuts for text-editing, and access to a CLI (anyone using a Mac should at least look into the command pbcopy, pbpaste, and pbopen).

I want to be able to install and run things such as BRL-CAD, FreeCAD, CADquery, &c., and not have my 3D modeling limited to OnShape or BlockSCAD.

I'd also need to be able to run Macromedia Freehand in an emulation box, and I want a "real" cursor.

I also need to control a CNC machine using Carbide Motion and it's not likely to get an iPad version, since getting approval for it would probably require sending Apple one of every machine it can connect to, and continuing to do so as machines get updated. (which unfortunately, hasn't run on 10.6.8 for a long while)

I wish it were easier to run Linux apps on Android tablets.

9. desertlap

Thanks a lot, very helpful :)

Have you looked at any of the new tablet oriented Chromebooks like the Lenovo Duet? In addition to being able to run Android apps, you can also install Linux on them. We have installed the linux partition on a couple of our lab Chromebooks including the new Galaxy Chromebook 2.

EDIT: We also received this one couple of days ago. Still testing and it's not super speedy, but both screen and battery life are above average for the price.

asus-chromebook-detachable-cm3-review-tablet-chromebook-chrome-os-price

10. Marty

Fundamentally, I think they do have options, not terribly good ones, but any attempt is better than nothing imo. However, rather than debating the minutia of each option's viability, how bout let's focus "the need" part.

Would you say that the PC market isn't in danger of losing the mainstream consumer base?

Even now, I struggle to find good reasons to recommend a PC for general purpose computing: students, parents, even home office professionals, are these vast majority of users not arguably better served by the M1 and at risk of being lost to Apple?

Just to things bring back to the topic briefly... :p

There was one feature that I am super happy about—progress bars in Files finally!

[​IMG]

Snazzy Labs showed this off @11:30:

He gives a good overview of the software features that were only announced during Apple's 'State of the Union' on the days following the main WWDC keynote.

Lot of interesting stuff (helpfully divided into topic videos ;)) far more informative than the opening presentation and worth a look imo.

desertlap, JoeS and dellaster like this.