Will iPadOS 15 be a significant upgrade?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by COGBABY, Jun 4, 2021.

?

Will iPadOS be a significant upgrade?

1. Yes, it will unlock the full potential of the M1

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, it will bring only minor enhancements

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

With WWDC only days away, people are speculating about the next version of iPadOS.

Will it answer our prayers, or fail to satisfy, leaving us with a crippled device?

The new iPad Pro maxes out at 16GB RAM and 2TB storage. Many of us would like to see external display extension and even support for macOS apps.

What features would you like to see in iPadOS 15, and what chances do you think they have of being implemented?

dstrauss likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I think the first option should be changed to "Yes, it will bring significant improvements" (in line with the poll question), as "full potential" suggests desktop OS level control.

My top feature would be multitasking improvements, specifically:
    • multi-source audio/video playback
    • resizeable Slide Over windows
    • windowed mode for fullscreen/orientation-locked apps
    I think the rollout will be gradual for these features over the course of iPadOS 15 -16, dependant on Apple's assessment of 'average user' aptitude.

COGBABY likes this.
  3. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

How do you feel about what was announced at WWDC?

4. Marty

A little letdown...

The iPadOS section starts @11:02, where they announced Widgets and App Library (last year's iPhone features :p).

In terms of multitasking, there was basically no change to core functionality, except a new centered Slide Over view @12:36:

[​IMG]

But I'm guessing this is app-specific, so no user control for things like running one app over another in the background (even that small change, would have been super useful).

Other than that, just tweaks to the multitasking UI with swipe down to close, multitasking controls at the top, and shelf at the bottom. Not really worthy of a next numbered version imo. I guess we'll need to wait iPadOS16... :(

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    JoeS likes this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Our folks are still learning and taking in WWDC, but the short takeaway they have is that both IOS 15 and Mac OS major changes will be in the plumbing undergirding them in preparation for bring the two closer together, but that the amount of work is enormous and thus will be incremental. Not to mention that the developers have their work cut for them as well to hook in to these new OS frameworks etc.

Two other short takes from our lead developer. One Mac OS is moving toward IOS and not IOS moving toward Mac OS. The other take is that anyone hoping for an ARM based hackintosh , pretty much needs to give up on that dream...

sonichedgehog360 and dellaster like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Meanwhile I was riveted throughout, I watched the whole dang thing! They're knocking it out of the park. Personally I foresee a move out of the Windows ecosystem. Apple is taking all those next steps that I want, improving usability, adding cool but discoverable features, keeping all if it visually cohesive. Windows tries similar things, but compared to Apple's polish at this point it's kind of embarrassing. I guess my hard core computing will have to be done using Remote Desktop at some point in the not too distant future.

dellaster likes this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

I kept an eye on Anandtech’s live blog but didn’t expect much of anything to apply to me. My 2016 iPhone SE won’t be getting iOS 15 and my iPad mini 5 is fine as-is for my use. I don’t have a Mac or M1-anything and don’t plan on having them any time soon, if ever. So I wasn’t disappointed, just a bit curious.

Siri dictation off-line was the only thing that grabbed my attention, minor as it is. I wonder if that’s only on newer devices with A14 or M1? Then again, my SE won’t get iOS 15 and dictation is far more useful on it than my iPad mini 5, so the answer isn’t that important.

8. Marty

Maybe to piggyback on this poll thread, how many of us have laid in plans for "the big switch" within the next year?

I know personally looking at the current Windows PC landscape, if the OEMs don't come out with a power-performance competitor within 70% of the M1 this year, I've resigned myself that I'll need to buy an M-series device simply to keep up with the latest development trends.

With all the major software vendors (eg. Adobe) rapidly porting to M1, mounting independent developer enthusiasm, and an already vast library of quality ARM apps, I just see Apple's lead in the ARM PC space as basically insurmountable beyond 2021.

I still don't understand why PC makers are not feeling the heat. No solid platform announcements at Computex, no commitments to bold new product visions from any OEM, essentially more of the same like any other year...it's all now hinging on MS to make some grand stride forward with the Windows "11" announcement.

And if that just end up being a slight UI reskin, what's left to hope for? :vbconfused:

dellaster likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@Marty
    You ask why the PC makers aren't "feeling the heat"

So my question to you is even if they are, where can they go that's a viable alternative? Apple is certainly not going to sell them M1 chips. So that leaves basically AMD as alternative or WOA

So AMD is for all intents and purposes a turbo charged V6 to intel's straight 6. The performance is only valuable or a decision point to a quite small fraction of the market. And for that matter in the last 5 years or so AMD hasn't been a low cost player either as they have pursued the performance segment of X86 (and their low power chip offerings are for all intents purposes MIA)

Which leaves WOA, which is the is the Nissan Leaf of the PC market but without the generous tax credit that the Leaf enjoyed.

Not to mention that the PC OEMS know just how locked in their users are to Windows and PCs generally. They may not have loyalty to their specific vendor of the moment regardless if it is Dell or HP or Lenovo but they do to what they know as a "PC".

Even the consumer buyers who at least on paper would be the most likely "switchers" , the reality of actually doing so is much harder in practice. People are used to and comfortable with what they have been using and while they certainly have gripes with Windows, the unknowns of any alternative can be especially daunting.

To give a practical anecdotal example , our Best Buy contacts tell us they all dread the customer that comes in and is looking at say a MacBook Air and the first thing they tell the blue shirt is "I've been using a PC for years and..." Those buyers are by far the most likely to return the Mac they just bought and even if they stick it out, they lean heavily on the blue shirts for support.

So much so, that corporately they ding their reps if they sell Mac to such a customer and dont sell all the add on support/consulting packages they can.

Finally, relevant to all here, where are you going to go for touch or pen with a MacBook? Obviously you can't , so the option is either/or an iPad which of course introduces learning yet another OS in to the mix.

TLDR: Many talk a big game about "switching" but only a tiny number actually follow through. That's the built in advantage that WinTel enjoys and I simply dont see that changing in even the medium future.

OTOH there is one relatively recent example where a company had overwhelming dominance in their market and fairly quickly lost it which is Blackberry. In that case the iPhone and more broadly the "slab" touchscreen model that is todays smartphone was a foundational shift that happens at most once a generation. Arguably the last time that occurred with PCs was the arrival of the GUI.

And lets face reality, there is simply nothing about Macs that represents that type of major shift versus the PC.

So off my soapbox now :)

BTW: Arguably the smartest thing that Apple has done since the run away success of the iPhone is to focus far more on new users than switchers. They are doing that by making their own devices work better what with what is for many their primary device than is available on any other platform.

What will be interesting is when Apple reaches the point where for all intents and purposes the choice(s) is driven purely by physical form factor. I personally think that is still a long way away. Based on what we've seen at WWDC I'd say 5 years at the earliest.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    dellaster likes this.
  10. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Indeed. Most who would value MacOS vs. Win10 have already switched. M1 Macs have and will continue to have a performance/efficiency advantage and that’ll cause some bleed from Wintel, but how many people actually need the improvements? Form factor, compatibility with currently owned/used software, and price are more important. (Except for us geeks seeking the new shiny, of course.)

I think Apple could be killing it in the laptop gaming sphere and getting lots of switchers with the upcoming chips with 32 GPU cores, speculated as fast as an RTX 3070 at less than half the power requirements… had Jobs not dissed gaming. That ship sailed long ago and Tim Cook doesn’t seem interested in chartering a new one.

Regardless, interesting times.