WiFi toggle systray utility

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by johnmcd, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone interested in a utility that sits in your system tray that allows you to easily toggle WiFi on and off? I've modified one I wrote a while ago to work with the HP slate (based on the feedback form folks in this forum) - if you're interested here's the utility. Just copy it into your Windows startup folder so it starts when you booth (or you can just run it to try it out). It creates an icon on your system tray - double-click it to toggle WiFi. The icon changes to indicate which action it will take.

John

Attached Files:

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice job and thanks!

3. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

You're welcome.

BTW - that's another reason I prefer the whole HP Slate/MS Windows ecosystem over Apple's walled garden - anyone can download the free version of MS VisualStudio Express, write any app they want, share it with anyone they want to (or not) and sell it for any amount and using any distribution channel they want (and keep all the revenue). Now Apple's moving to an app store for the Mac in addition to the iPad/iPhone store, so pretty soon they'll have complete control over every aspect of their fanboy's technology experience.

John

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Does the HP Slate not have a menu pop-up that allows for toggling wifi, dimming the screen, etc.? My Fujitsu, HP TC1100, Motion LS800, and HP 2730P all have menus that are accessible with the push of a button.

Maybe the Slate 500 is a little too light on additional programs...

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Windows mobility center. It's on my taskbar.

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you install N-act, for the multitouch gestures, a two finger hold on the screen (or a two finger double tap) will pull up a menu that lets you turn off wifi as well... at least that's how it works on my Ntrig Dell XT.

7. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes this is actually a handy and overlooked utility.

8. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

It also handles display brightness and mute. My QuickLaunch is WMC, Windows Explorer, and Firefox.

9. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

I think that's a fundamental problem with windows 7 on tablets. Microsoft has all the functions right but messes up on the final presentation. You'd think the hardware manufacturer, would step up to the plate and polish the final product, but they don't.

Take HP and the slate for example. The Mobility center should be pinned to the taskbar by default. The Wintab and N-act drivers should have been installed on the factory image. A custom utility to adjust UI component sizes with defaults suitable for the slate would have been a good idea. And the piece-de-resistance would have been to include One Note. Another thing to improve to out-of-box experience for first-time tablet-pc users would be a guided tour through touch and pen feature, initially pinned to the taskbar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.