WiFi management

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by darkphantom, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

This would only happen if the different buildings present a different SSID or broadcast channel. If they do, no other software can be of help. In this case, you would be wise to save every and each network with a different SSID/broadcast channel and when you do this for all of them (how many buildings to you visit regularly?) then the process would become automatic. This is not a Windows problem. It is a problem with your university. Sadly, I know that this is true because in the nearby university, every department runs its own wireless network. There is no "university-wide" network. I wish there were.

2. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Yup, like I said before, 3rd party utilities for ordinary user is just plain redundant, so in other word, yes, they're virtually useless IMHO. :)

I was just suggesting a temporary fix, choice of not saving the network will also become unhandy over time. So, if the problem is really rooted on darkphantom's device itself, fixing it once for all is better than have to rely on the aforementioned 'fix'.

Ok, from what I can understand from your post is your Uni using same SSID for different building,:confused: I'm quite sure different building will assign you different IP, that's might be why Vista keep asking network type (public, home, etc) all the time. :p No idea yet what's the workaround if that's true. :confused:

3. darkphantom

darkphantom Scribbler - Standard Member

yeah, the problem is, when it does save it, and I go back to that particular building the next day or whenever, it takes forever and gets stuck at "identifying"

4. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

When Vista is asking you for information on this network, do you specify that this is a "public" network?

The only time I have seen Vista or Win7 get stuck at "identifying" is if (a) the radios needed to be reset (very infrequently if at all) and (b) when the strength of the signal is very low (quite frequent). There is absolutely nothing you can do for (b) unless you move to an area with better reception. For (a), just turn the front switch off and on and it does the trick. But my guess is that you are trying to connect in a place with very low signal. In this case, no software would help you.

I have the same problem at UCB. There are lots of wireless networks but most of them have very low signal unless you get really close to them. There is no robust campus wireless, every department or every professor tries to do their own thing. In addition, universities do not want to implement wireless extensively because of security considerations. They are not wifi friendly places.

I would suggest that you may want to give a buzz to your IT administrators. They may have a clue. Your solution does not lay in getting another bloatware installed.

5. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

Nope, that does not happen. I do not think that recognition depends on the IP assigned at all. It is all SSID based. For example, when I had T-mobile wifi, it would connect independent of location. Same with my AT&T Wifi, it connects independent of location.

6. RazzNuts

Your inference is making sense, :) but it would be great if you could hit some research before making such bold statement, that unfortunately, wasn't accurate. ;)

Perhaps beforehand you could read this:
    Network Location Awareness
    Longhorn Network Location Awareness
    Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
    Exploring Windows Firewall See Network section.
    Enterprise Networking for Vista

Or perhaps simply let Wikipedia summarises it for us
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_networking_technologies#Network_classification

The thing is Vista does recognise assigned networks based on IP address. In fact the system stores the IP address, DNS server, Subnet, Proxy server and other network features specific to a network in the network's profile. So a single change of one of network properties will simply make Vista re-asking the network type. In darkphantom's case I would strongly doubt AP in different building/faculty will share all-identical network properties, Say for a simple example, the domain name, in a Campus Area Network each interconnected structures will have its own unique domain name.

And for your case, since you are using the same ISP, the network properties shouldn't greatly differs from place to place.

@DaRK if you find waiting Vista to completed identifying network take longer time than connecting to unsaved network, I'd prefer not to save it anyway ;) Sorry I couldn't find how to fix it. Judging from the situation, I think there's nothing wrong with your system. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. aretzios

aretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

Again, we seem not to understand each other. We were talking about a single network covering a campus versus a variety of networks in a campus. A single network covering a campus would be recognized by Vista as a single network independent of how many repeaters it has throughout the campus and independent of the fact that your assigned IP may change every time you log in. I change the assigned IP all the time in my own network and I do not have to "re-save" it. Now, if you have a variety of networks -which is likely the case here - sure, you would encounter a different one (and possibly more than one) in each building.

I was recently in a academic building with 10 different wireless networks (at least) some stronger in various parts of the building. I can see why this user is totally confused. But no, the IP is not the issue assuming that the rest of the information remains the same. In fact, I am quite certain that AT&T Wireless provides me with a different IP every time I log in. In fact, my cable modem does very much the same in an irregular fashion as I do not have a static IP

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. RazzNuts

From what I perceived the OP was talking about Networks since the first place --and since you also said 'likely', I'd just assume you had the same thought. (he/she's using AP in different building).

Unfortunately, the network properties liable to be different in every building, that's the different with your cable modem.

@dark, so basically that's thhe problem, like aretzios said, it would it be a good idea to ask your IT depart, however --umm in case the IT guys can't help you--if other 3rd party utilities could help you, it won't hurt to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.