WiFi management

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by darkphantom, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkphantom

darkphantom Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone use anything other than the stupid windows wifi built in to manage wifi networks? I often find windows can't connect to the simplest of networks...or if it does, takes an hour to identify.

Anyone using any other wifi management software? I would really like some :( Vista is stupid IMHO...

2. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

Have used both the Atheros Client Utility and Intel Utility on XP. I much prefer them over the built-in support. I don't know if either is compatible with vista though.

3. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

I have no problem managing Wifi networks either with Vista or Win7. I find the Windows Vista/7 utility for doing so intuitive and very easy to use. It presents you with a list of networks that your wireless is detecting, it allows you to select the one that you want to connect to, enter keys or passwords, designate it as private or public and instruct your computer to connect it to it automatically or not. In addition, it allows you to prioritize connection to wireless networks. What specifically do you want to do that this utility does not do?

I have specific wifi handling software in my Thinkpad (it shows networks in a radar like configuration) but, at the end, all this fancy presentation is just crapware because it achieves as much as Vista/7's own utility.

4. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I also hadn't any problem with the Windows XP/7 Wifi management.
    If I had a problem, then something was wrong with my card or the router.
    I started netstumbler to see the exact signal strength and further informations and to find the failure.

I tried the Intel once, but only once, because I really hated it. It did not more offer than the windows does and the Intel tool is a RAM hog, several not needed processes, takes longer, cumbersome to use, ...

5. darkphantom

Well the problem is the vista is assigning various random numbers to a certain wifi connection at school and as a result, takes about 5-10minutes to connect. I have to disconnect/reconnect and eventually remove the network and reassign it in order to connect. I might give the atheros utility a shot though...

6. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

Both the Intel and Atheros utilities allow me to export profiles from a computer and import to another.

As an IT manager for a company with multiple locations/networks, and over 50 laptops, this is essential.

The Intel utility can even auto-import so I can distribute new profiles on the fly.

7. adretzios

What random numbers are being assigned to this "certain wifi connection"? This should not be happening. After logging on, Vista is asking if you want to "save" this connection. If you say "yes", then it will save all the log in information (SSID, encryption method, passwords, keys, etc). Furthermore, you can then go on and prioritize the networks. You can give this network priority one, which means that this is the first network that Vista would try to log on when switched on.

I would strongly recommend that you read a manual or go to a Microsoft site for a primer of how to use this rather uncomplicated feature of the OS. You do not need any other crapware or bloatware on your machine, trust me. But if you do, go ahead. Then, you would be wandering why your computer is crapping out here and there.

8. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Windows in-built Wi-Fi management is usually adequate for most user, while for some others it's just too standard, offering too few configurable options.

For casual user, I believe installing 3rd party utilities is a bit redundant, (especially if you're only interested on their nice the GUI, LOL). You'll just wasting your PC resource for a feature that is integrated in Windows and anyway you'll achieve the same result.

However, I'm quite sure advanced & corporate user will appreciate the flexibility of those 3rd party utilities. I've tried Intel utility, it offers many tweaking option, and I like it. The profile management definitely will put a good use to enterprise level when one meets the case similar to mmccord's.

I'm not sure if I can understand what 'random number' assigned by Vista.
    Were you referring to the network name?

Have you tried to untick the 'save network'? just don't let Vista save the connection, if you think that's the root of the problem.

9. adretzios

Well, I respect your position but I found that 3rd party connection management software to be really close to useless. On the other hand, corporate solutions that connect to "preferred" vendors and report costs etc, etc, are unavoidable in that context.

I disagree with the choice of not saving the network under Vista. In fact, I believe that this is his problem. The network is not saved and Vista is trying to evaluate it every time it encounters it. Most likely. I do not believe that this network presents a different SSID every time. This would be crazy!! I do not know what his problem is but my feeling is that he tinkered with the utility and some of the defaults have been messed up. What one needs is to fix it, not load another bloadware.

10. darkphantom

Well ok, it does ask for public/home/work, but after saving it, it will ask me this again, every time i reconnect to the university's wifi since they are in various buildings....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.