WiFi/Blutooth Upgrade -> N @ 300Mbps or Dual Band

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Akytarus, Feb 14, 2011.

?

Are you going to upgrade your WiFi/Bluetooth Card ?

1. Yes, I want full speed dual band support!

46 vote(s)
    58.2%
  2. Not sure / I'm considering it

22 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. No, I don't want to have a chance of invalidating my warrenty.

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goat

goat Scribbler - Standard Member

I just ordered this. It's not expected til 18 Sep but the Bluetooth problem is really out of hand for a computer that cost over $1000. I hope this resolves that issue as I don't like opening this computer to replace parts. At any rate this is the last replacable part as the SSD is now more than big enough.

I guess I'll find out if they swapped out the internal part of my computer when I shipped it to ASUS Warranty Service too.

2. crazyt

crazyt Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just installed the 6235. Works instantly with windows 8. Bluetooth keyboard too. But i don't know if it's loosing its connection after time. I will report. In win8 preferences the bluetooth on/off switch is gray...strange

3. goat

Hey,

I'm installing mine tomorrow as I loose connection several times per hour alot of the time I will consider one day with now lost connections a success. Funny thing is when I first got this PC the connection problem wasn't near so bad. I'd go an entire week without one lost connection. That points to a driver problem I think.

At any rate if you're running Windows 8 what is the Intel HD Graphics driver you are using?

Believe it or not my PC had the Windows 8 WDDM 1.1 Intel HD Graphics driver installed and the openGL version for it was openGL 1.1!!! That's a version from the 90s! And the directX went from version 11 all the way down to version 9!!!

Any insight into this?

4. goat

For those of you considering upgrading to Windows 8 don't unless there is some other reason you need to like using the EP121 as a iPad style tablet.

I checked about the state of Intel's support for the Intel HD Graphics contained in the ASUS EP121 and they are already dropping support. This for a graphics card in a slate pc that hasn't even been for sales for close to 2 years yet from one of their top hardware customers (ASUS) and their top software customer (Microsoft)!!! The Intel HD Graphics card itself probably is barely 2 years old now.

At anyrate for those that need a digitally signed driver that supports a version of openGL newer than 1.1 from the 1990s update your MS WDDM 1.1 Intel HD Graphics driver by update hardware driver, uncheck compatible with this hardware, browser for driver, manually choose driver, choose Intel as the manufacturer, and chose Intel HD Graphics as the device. This will get you a version of the driver by Intel certified by Microsoft from 2011 that supports openGL 2.1.

5. goat

OK, so I've got the Intel Centrino Wifi/Bluetooth 6235 card installed and windows recognises the Wifi immediately but the bluetooth keyboard and mouse aren't connected and under 'Wireless' under 'PC Settings' the Bluetooth is 'grayed out' and 'off' meaning that even though Windows has Generic / Microsoft Bluetooth drivers installed something is wrong.

I've download the latest Intel Pro Wireless drivers but no surprise here really given the poor Intel HD Graphics support in Windows 8: the installer tells me that there are incompatibilities with Windows 8 and exits.

If I search on Intel's Support website it is embarrassing for them: their answer is always 'The 6235 is meant only to be installed by certified OEM Technicians' even when the user asking the question has hardware that the 6235 is installed by manufacturing (i.e. not a certified OEM Technician: I guess that's there excuse).

So I'll try and figure out how to get this working.

In the meantime, I accidently pulled loose that wire that connects back of the ASUS EP121 with the systemboard. I though it was just a ground but the wire says 'conn1' and now the fans are loud in the EP121 (like others complained about long ago). Does anyone know how and where to reconnect 'conn1' to the systemboard?

6. crazyt

crazyt Pen Pal - Newbie

hi goat,
    you have pulled out your thermal sensor. ground would be pretty useless on a plastic back ;-) its a white connector. hope you did't loose the small cap of it. It is not easy to reconnect it.

for me Bluetooth works fine, beside of the grayed out switch. so i can't switch it off this way. perhaps it's just a windows bug. as usual i am able to scan for new devices. on the other side i just use the hardware keyboard just for coding. maybe next week i will try.

graphic driver: it is really a shame for intel not yet supporting windows 8. the ep121 is the perfect device for windows 8 and the other way around. even with this bad driver support it is worth for me to use windows 8....okay i got it for free as student....it is a much faster smoother experiences then windows 7.

i think we need to bother asus with better win8 support.....all of us

7. goat

Hey CrazyT,

I thought the metal plate might be 'ground'. Can you post a link that shows this white connector and cap? I think it was pulled through and under the cap as the 'conn1' is just a flat tape with metal strips at the the end. It's the flat tape that says conn1 that's loose from systemboard.

As far as the bluetooth goes I've found out the some Atheros junk is installed and cant be removed in Windows 8. I am going to install clean Windows 8 and see if that resolves the issue with bluetooth as Windows 8 is faster. I should have done that to begin with.

I want to use Blender in this but if the mouse disappears several times per hour it's frustrating.

8. goat

Well I got the Bluetooth working finally by clean installing Windows 7, cleaning installing the latest Intel Wireless/Bluetooth Pro Software, clean installing the latest Intel HD Graphics drivers, upgrading to Windows 8 Pro (x64 - which made me uninstall the Intel Wireless/Bluetooth Pro software but the HW descriptive language was available for Windows 8 importantly), and when the upgrade finished I could pair up me mouse and keyboard and they haven't lost connections for hours!!! Wifi is very fast too (strangely WiFi didn't work in Windows 7 only Bluetooth but as the intent was to upgrade to Windows 8 I didn't investigate)...

So then I run Windows 8 update and it finds HW drivers that a clean install of Windows 8 does automatically without the update (e.g. the ASUS G-Sensor)...

So now I only have to get a version of the Intel HD Graphics that supports openGL 2.1 (I have instructions to install unsigned drivers but I rather not if I can avoid it)...

Oh, and I have to try and reattach conn1 for the thermal sensor that I didconnected today...

9. Rob_Oppie

Rob_Oppie Pen Pal - Newbie

10. worred

worred Pen Pal - Newbie

I just installed my Intel 6235 (and a 240GB-SSD) the WIFI seems to be working, but the BT is not. I have installed the latest INTEL WIFI and BT SW with drivers but still not working.

How is everyone else getting the BT to work after installing the 6235?
    thanks,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.