WiFi/Blutooth Upgrade -> N @ 300Mbps or Dual Band

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Akytarus, Feb 14, 2011.

?

Are you going to upgrade your WiFi/Bluetooth Card ?

1. Yes, I want full speed dual band support!

46 vote(s)
    58.2%
  2. Not sure / I'm considering it

22 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. No, I don't want to have a chance of invalidating my warrenty.

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loren

Loren Pen Pal - Newbie

A ~1 GB file copy from my (8 TB) Homeserver - averaged about 16 MB/sec -- peaked at 17.3 MS/sec.

A copy to my Homeserver was almost identical.

2. YetAnotherDave

YetAnotherDave Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, that's really fast. Just ordered mine. Thanks for the info, Loren. +1

3. YetAnotherDave

Hey Loren, I've been thinking about your post, have run some tests, and am wondering-

(sorry to side-track the thread, but it's pretty dead anyway ATM)

Are you running WHS v1 or WHS 2011? Streaming 1080P is barely doable over a 1GB Lan on my Acer H340 w/ 4x 2TB WD caviar-green drives, so it sounds like I've got several bottlenecks to deal with.

Apparently the server erratic performance issue is due to the combination of the slow Atom processor and HDD drive leveling and search indexing. When that stuff kicks in my transfer rates drop to below 10MB/s even to a fast machine on the Lan. Are you seeing similar behavior? Would you know of any tricks? I ask because you seem to know what you're doing...

Thanks...

4. Loren

Loren Pen Pal - Newbie

WHS ver 1 - with upgraded CPU (Dual Core) and more memory (4GB).

5. YetAnotherDave

I'm sorry to report my experience with this upgrade has not been as good as reported by others here.

I finally got around to installing the card purchased here (Amazon.com: Intel 62230an.hmwwb Centrino Advanced-n 6230 Wifi Half Mini: Electronics) this weekend.

The hardware install went fine. Installing the drivers didn't go so well though. Bluetooth refused to work until I finally restored the system from a backup, then uninstalled the Atheros software before installing the Intel drivers-only package obtained here (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/con...OSFullname=Windows+7,+64-bit*&ProductID=3315).

This got wifi and bluetooth working, but I'm getting absolutely terrible wifi transfer rates. The Atheros card was getting about 8-10MB/s file transfer rates to my server, but the Intel 6230 is only getting an intermittent 800KB-1MB/s that often stalls out. This is connected via wifi(wpa) about 10 feet away to a D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router that should be capable of connecting at 300N. Signal strength is 'Excellent', so I don't think it's an antenna problem. I do see the router is assigning two IP addresses to the eSlate, is this an indication of the two 150 channels being bonded into a 300 channel?

It looks like I don't have the absolutely latest firmware on the DIR-655, but the release notes on later revs don't mention any wifi improvements, just feature removals.

I don't know, maybe I have defective hardware. I have had a spate of receiving other semi- or non-functional hardware through Amazon sellers recently. I'm not too excited about swapping the Atheros card back in, the ep121's back cover doesn't look like it's designed to be removed too many times. So I guess I'll try connecting to a few friend's wifi routers first, see if that's the problem first, but I'm doubting it.

If anyone has suggestions for how to rectify this problem, I'd sure like to hear them.

UPDATE: upgraded DIR-655 router to the latest firmware rev, reset & tweaked wireless settings. Same poor throughput result, about 300KB/sec. Router is reporting lots of wireless errors (RX & TX packets dropped & errors). I'm betting I received a bad 6230 unit.

UPDATE2: Yeah, this has to be a defective unit. Speed is displaying as 270 Mbps but actual throughput is only 230 KB/second copying a file from a fast server. Router shows lots of dropped wireless packets & errors.

6. Lazer

Lazer Pen Pal - Newbie

I just did the swap! Install was a cinch. Haven't run it through extensive testing yet, but it works! I get dual band now which was my main goal.

However, I noticed that my original card is not the one listed in this thread! Mine was AzureWave Model #AR5B195 (AW-NB037H) and I also noticed that the model number was printed on the bottom edge of my tablet.

I am loving this tablet like crazy BTW :)

7. sbl

sbl Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your information. Just finish the upgrade. It took me much time to make the bluetooth work properly. In my case, the bluetooth works correctly after uninstall Atheros software.

8. YetAnotherDave

I'm glad you found the info useful.

For what it's worth, to follow up on my intel wifi adapter woes, it turns out the adapter was incompatible with D-Link DIR-655 Wifi router. It apparently had to do with the 'pre-N' compatibility of the router and the fact that the standard wasn't ratified until after the router was released. Supposedly there were two incompatible standards camps (intel and cisco if I recall?) so the pre-ratification wireless-N stuff can be hit-or miss.

I ended up upgrading to a newer version router (ASUS RT-N56U) and it works great.

9. DallasVette

DallasVette Pen Pal - Newbie

I have one of those pre-N Dir-655's. I would have pulled out all my hair getting that one figured out

10. JoeRomeo

JoeRomeo Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks guys! I've been a lurker for a while but had to come out and sincerely thank you. The upgrade was fairly painless and wireless performance is much improved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.