WiFi/Blutooth Upgrade -> N @ 300Mbps or Dual Band

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Akytarus, Feb 14, 2011.

?

Are you going to upgrade your WiFi/Bluetooth Card ?

1. Yes, I want full speed dual band support!

46 vote(s)
    58.2%
  2. Not sure / I'm considering it

22 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. No, I don't want to have a chance of invalidating my warrenty.

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

If Intel can make and sell the card ..Should there be antennas around for sale as well ??

2. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

Meh, I wouldn't mess with the antenna built into the EP121. upon further reflection, I wonder if the user's router config has been tested with any other devices for comparison at 300Mbs? might bean issue with the specific channel in use, i.e. interference etc.

3. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

Which router are you using?

The card looks like it only has 2 connectors, and there are only 2 connections for the EP121. Try swapping the wires and see if it makes a difference.

4. blemert

blemert Pen Pal - Newbie

Using DLink 2553 5.0GHz AP connected to multiple 5.0GHz devices throughout the house without any problems. Just took it back apart and switched antennas (what a pain as those antenna leads are cut exactly to length!!) No difference - Really doesn't make sense to me...

5. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

One more thing to try.

Switch your power plan to High Performance or at least Balanced, make sure that Wifi is at full power, in the options. See if that makes a difference.

Do you get a strong signal, and then it just drops out suddenly? Or no signal at all? Erratic signal?

6. blemert

blemert Pen Pal - Newbie

Currently set to Balanced (that's where it's at by default - is anyone running 'Power Saver'?) tried High Performance. Wifi shows full strength... and it will connect and some pages will load eventually... most won't. As soon as I disconnect and then reconnect on my 802.11g access point I'm good to go. Signal strength is steady no fluctuations.

Again, my other two laptops (Alienware m17xR2 w/ Intel 6300 * Alienware m11x w/ last gen Intel card) connect w/ no issues. The m11 does just have two antenna leads like the EP121. The DAP-2553 is a great device.

7. YetAnotherDave

YetAnotherDave Pen Pal - Newbie

8. Grimspoon

Grimspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

9. Loren

Loren Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had my 6230 installed and working fine for over a month now.
    I use a dual band router and have it set for 5 MHz - my performance is very good. Likelt twice what it was with the Anthros single band card.

10. YetAnotherDave

YetAnotherDave Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the update, Loren.

The current Anthros card appears to max out at about 8.50 MB/second when copying files from a relatively fast network server's SSD drive through a D-Link DIR-655 802.11n (not 5GHz) router within about 10 feet of the EP121, which apparently isn't quite enough bandwidth to stream 1080p HD video.

Can you give me an idea of the transfer rate you are achieving when, for example, copying a file from a fast machine across the LAN->wifi link?

Hmm, So I guess I would have to replace the card and the router too? If so this may have to wait a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.