WiFi/Blutooth Upgrade -> N @ 300Mbps or Dual Band

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Akytarus, Feb 14, 2011.

?

Are you going to upgrade your WiFi/Bluetooth Card ?

1. Yes, I want full speed dual band support!

46 vote(s)
    58.2%
  2. Not sure / I'm considering it

22 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. No, I don't want to have a chance of invalidating my warrenty.

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akytarus

Akytarus Certified Tech Junkie

Don't worry about the drivers use the most recent intel wifi driver for wifi part and the bluetooth part is generic and is installed buy windows update :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't answered the poll, as the device isn't available in the uk yet. Also my answer isn't in the list.

I don't see the benefit from 150 MHz to 300MHz. My Wii is connected to my mimo router, so my network won't go above g anyway.
    I can stream 720p across wireless g OK. The screen on the ep121 basically offers little extra resolution from this, so why the problem. If I wanted to watch a movie whilst on holiday/vacation, I wouldn't be at home, and thus the movie would be on a storage device plugged into the ep121.

My only yes would be the impossible. Unlikely to get a single card. That is wireless, b/g or N, with bluetooth, AND 3g/gprs

3. Akytarus

I hope you mean Mbps not MHz. 150Mbps relays to rough real rate of 8-10MB/Sec where as 300Mbps relays to rough real rate of 18-20MB/Sec so a doubling of transfer rate is greatly appreciated. Also this new Intel card supports WiDi see here -> Intel WiDi + Netgear Push2TV Reciver

I guess that make sense in you circumstances not to upgrade.

Don't forget the EP121 has a mini HDMI port capable of 1080p or higher with with Digital Audio. Some people such as my self might be connecting up a TV (or 1080p projector in my case) to the EP121!

Same here...! :cool:

Would be interesting to see that, but I don't think it would be possible due to size constraints as well as power requirements or all three devices on one card.

4. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

So what is the main use you will be putting the ep121 to in these circumstances? This is what I am struggling to understand (from those that need the system to stream 1080p across a wireless network, and display it at the same time)
    For me, I have a fixed computer connected to the TV to watch and record my hi-def programs (satelite broadcasts).
    I would be using the ep121 as a laptop replacement otherwise.

I am not considering that someone would want to display a game on the telly whilst using the tablet to control it. That just wouldn't be a sensible use of the device (in my opinion)

[not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the use-case]

5. Akytarus

You make a good point. High speed and better suport for 2.4GHz/5GHz is my main reason.

Here's a few senario i've been in...

1. Using a projector with the EP121 to make annotations and gestures during a presentation at work. (It would be nice to use WiDi and avoid cables)

2. Visiting friends and family and using the EP121 on a HDTV for a quick impromptu movie (netflix).

3. Moving large files from desktop to EP121 - As EP121 does not have a ethernet port. (using SD Card/USB Stick is just inconvenient and slower)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  6. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

7. Akytarus

8. blemert

blemert Pen Pal - Newbie

I received the card today and got it installed with very little problem (also upgraded the RAM from 2 to 4) I can now connect to my 5.0GHz 802.11n router. However, connecting on the 5.0GHz band yields very erratic connections. 802.11g seems to work flawlessly. Bluetooth works great as well. I have even re-installed W7 Ultimate... using latest drivers.

9. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

maybe the antenna isn't right for MIMO?

10. blemert

blemert Pen Pal - Newbie

Could be... I'm not out a lot of $$... just would be nice for 1080p clips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.