Wich tablet should I buy? Looked at Asus EP121 and HP Touchsmart TM2

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Jimmarn, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

$3,500 for a used 2730? Something really wrong with that pricing. No question you can get it cheapest on eBay in the U.S. but I don't know much about the mechanics or costs of importing a used computer in Norway. Most of the 2730s on the US eBay site range from $400 to $800.

2. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah that's my problem, importing to norway is insane expensive, norwegian import laws are out dated and sucky sucky... Anyway maby it can be imported easier to sweden where my father has an adress :)

3. madmarcus

madmarcus Pen Pal - Newbie

For your stated purposes and requirements it's hard to find a better value or all-around useful art slate/notebook computer than the HP 2730 with the Hydis AFFS display, which is breathtaking, better in the 2730 than in the newer 2740. You have to accept a 1.5 lb weight "penalty" for the 2730 vs. the EP 121, but you get so much more for as little as 1/2 the price if you buy used/refurbished.

Your statement implies that a Core 2 Duo might be both less energy intensive and more powerful than an i5. In the past I've felt comfortable comparing CPU from but you have raised some doubts; how do the various options over the last time or so generations of tablets compare?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

the i5 is a a bit on the power hungry side of things, but the performance it gives for demanding tasks is absolutely excellent
    the C2D line (the LV, not ULV) is a decent balance between good performance and battery efficiency.

If you are doing "normal things" like browsing the web with multiple tabs, several excel/ word files, music, and so on... you won't really notice a difference (you will only notice the difference when you are doing something intensive, like playing a recent game, running Autocad with large 2D/ 3D drawings , or doing a TON of really intensive stuff all at the same time)

for most things these days, most processors will behave very much alike (powerful processors only increase your total system capability, it doesn't really improve non-intensive things) there is no getting around that fact

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  5. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

Okey, Now I got the money, it stands between the 2740p or the EP121. A 2740p without the hydus screen I think. I'm not sure, only specs that is under screen is antiglare and lightsensor.. ProdNr=WK298EA it's being sold as a demo so therefore I get it for $1700. EP121 new but not in norway yet, for about the same price from ebay after import fees etc.
    Anyone that can give me some pros and cons so it helps me make up my mind? As I have understood I can upgrade RAM and the HDD myself for the HP? I know the 2740p has better performance, but the EP121 has better screen? And is a slate, thinner.
    Appreciate any help here guys

6. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

Okey, I just couldnt wait, and have been constantly thinking about this all day now... SO i finally did it, as I thought I save $1000 buying the demo with 2gb ram. I can just upgrade that myself as with changing the HDD if I really need a SDD instead of sata2.
    I still does not know if its a hydis screen, as stated above, all screen info is that it's antiglare and has a auto brightnessensor thingy.
    An imported ASUS EP121 with 32gb from ebay would cost the same here in norway. Electronics are very expensive in norway compared to the us, and NOK is also expensive.

7. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, even if it isn't a Hydis screen, there isn't really THAT much of a difference (there is a difference, but it isn't close to the difference between a crappy laptop screen, and whichever screen you get)

The 2730p/ 2740p line of Tablet PC's from HP is top notch; especially with the extra accessories (Slim dock, Slice battery, a bit more ram, a large HDD/ SSD, the Axiotron Studio Pen, ect...) You should be very happy with it all around

8. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so mutch. Really looking forward to try it out. Should I calibrate it when it arrives or should it be calibrated right out of the box?
    Since it's a Demo "-b-grade" it may be calibrated allready aswell.

9. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

Now I finally got the 2740p and so far I really love it, installing photoshop as this is typed inn. Now I just wondered, how do I check what screen it has?
    Tried Device management but it only says PnP-Screen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.