Wich tablet should I buy? Looked at Asus EP121 and HP Touchsmart TM2

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Jimmarn, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

...Wait a minute:

What settings? I only get about 2:30 out of mine with a single 8-cell with at least 16% wear at this point.

I don't run at minimum brightness, that's for sure, though I do lower it a few notches when it makes sense. Fiddling with the CPU options doesn't help much. Putting the HD 2300 on Maximum Battery Life makes the Intel GMA line seem fast.

2. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

hmm, does anyone know about when and how I can get the EP121 to Norway? Or if it's possible to order it to the UK somewhere.

3. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can preorder on most expansys in Europe. But no date yet. The only good news is that we can already find European language (some) user guides. That mean it will come.
    But I have ordered in the US, delivering to a US address, my brother in law.

4. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

Expansys? Do you think it's out by the end of february?

5. thierryb

I do not know.
    First they need to deliver in the US. If the US launch goes well, why not. They want to make money.

6. GandhiM

GandhiM Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, to be honest, I haven't timed it lately. This was about 2 years ago when I was in school, and it's the figure that's stuck in my head. I'd go the whole afternoon, taking notes in class, with very minimal "sleep" time. (maybe 10 min between 3 classes, lasting 2 hours each). I'd use low brightness, and wi-fi off most, but not all, of the time, and still have some battery left at the end of the day.

7. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

Okey, thanks, no release date in US either? I'm kindof concerned of not getting it in the time of need here now :S
    I could buy one off of ebay when it's out in norway I guess.

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I concur completely with Agent 9. For your stated purposes and requirements it's hard to find a better value or all-around useful art slate/notebook computer than the HP 2730 with the Hydis AFFS display, which is breathtaking, better in the 2730 than in the newer 2740. You have to accept a 1.5 lb weight "penalty" for the 2730 vs. the EP 121, but you get so much more for as little as 1/2 the price if you buy used/refurbished. Though not a true slate, the it has the smallest, thinnest form factor of any convertible and at 3.6 lbs is still quite manageable in size and weight. Compared to the EP 121 the 2730 has one of the nicest, keyboards I have used (and it's lighted, from above, different, but effective). The 2730 also gets 2-4 hrs more battery life than the EP, a better cpu, easily expandable memory and storage (though the latter is a bit less flexible than on the other tablet convertibles from Lenovo and Fujitsu, but unless you have storage-intensive applications and need more than 320GB on an HDD or 256GB on an SSD, you are fine with that.

I have the dubious distinction/advantage of having owned and used the following tablets over the past year:

HP Pavillion TM2 (2)
    HP Elitebook 2740 (4)
    HP Elitebook 2730 (2)
    Lenovo Thinkpad X201t
    Fujitsu T-730 (2)

All of these are good convertible tablets, but if you are inclined towards the size and weight of a slate you need to rule out all but the the HP Elitebooks and the Lenovo, including its predecessor model, the X200t. Among those, the Elitebooks are lighter with their base battery (6 cell) installed than the Lenovos with their base battery (8 cell), which adds 1.25" to the depth. Still, the Lenovo is slim and light and is almost identical to the 2730. You are likely to find the used/refurbished 2730s are a good 25%-33% cheaper than the equivalent Lenovo. The example you had was, in my opinion, overpriced. Also, unlike all other models, the 2730s were considered better with the std vs. outdoor screen, BOEHydis model ending in the letter "B"

Good luck and keep us posted

9. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, thank you so mutch! I'll definatly try to look out for a 2730. Oh my oh my! I just checked kelkoo for the cheapest new one and here in norway it costs around $3500!
    Think I'll have to import one instead and change the keyboard layout as it's slightly different here in norway.
    Though I just found a 2740p demo being sold at a store for $1900

10. thierryb

Take the EP121, no problem of norway keyboard, lighter than a a convertible, thinner, what is missing? battery? buy an external one, and you will be happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.