Wich tablet should I buy? Looked at Asus EP121 and HP Touchsmart TM2

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Jimmarn, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

Update: Okey, then it's the big question. Slate or convertible... I do have an Intuos 3 so maby a slate, the EP121 and a laptop on side later?
    Or is 2730p or the 2740p really what I should go for?
    I do want a good screen.

Hi, I recently sold my laptop and need a new one for school that starts in a week. Dont need it straight away but getting there.
    I used my old laptop, an Acer Aspire 5738G with an wacom intuos 3 to draw paintings and such in photoshop cs5 this year, I do have a stationary but it's set up home and I currently live a few hours away near school and don't bother draging it with me.
    Recently my niese had a DS that we got the R4 ship for, and I found a neat small homebrew that I could draw with on it called Colors! It then came to my mind that it would fit me perfect to have a tablet using a stylus and I found out about the wacom enabled screens. I then thought that I could just buy myself a new tablet instead of a laptop to replace that "need". I also have a Samsung Galaxy S with Sketchbook Mobile on it, but it just is not working without the stylus for me. So that being said I'll answer the sheet. I really hope you guys will help alot. Thanks.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    - $1000 - $2000

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    - Yes

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    - I'm really not sure... Slate seems practical, and seems like theres docks for most of them and usb ports so I could use a mouse and keyboard if needed.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

* Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    * Large ~ 13.3"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    - World wide web or Norway.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    - hmm nope, just needs to be "Wacom enabled"

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    - 3-4 hours, more or less, obviously the more the better but atleast a solid 2 hours of good use.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    - Mainly it's for Drawing, but will also be used for Web surfing, notetaking and entertainment. Not a must but if possible to run a game or two would be ok. Games like upcoming Dungeon Defenders.

9. Do you have an OS preference?
    Windows 7 (Maby Android - if it is penable)

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    - Office, Photoshop, maby 3D Studio Max too but mainly photoshop, and I want it to run quite smooth.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    - Maby, Dungeon Defenders and map editor for Call of Duty games, map testing on the device. But Gamepart is not a must. Too choose between being able to run games or having a perfect "art device", art device wins.

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?

* WXGA - 1280x768 ~ has a wider usable area than XGA, ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. The mainly used resolution for new tablet PCs since 2008.

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Don't require but it would be a big plus

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?
    Anything that looks best. So not sure, know I liked matte best before but now I'm not sure anymore....

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)
    Yes/No If yes, capacitive

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)
    Yes, Wacom.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    The bigger the better

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
    No

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    No, but guess it's a plus?

I appreciate all guidance.
    Oh and I just wonder, will the Intuos 3 pen I allready have work with the tablet?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. GandhiM

GandhiM Pen Pal - Newbie

New:

The TM2t is one of the better, cheaper convertibles on the market, and definitely a good choice.

The EP121 looks good, but keep in mind it's a slate, not a convertible. So no keyboard, and it doesn't have a docking station.

Here's a couple used/refurbished options to look into:

If you can do with n-trig instead of Wacom, a Latitude XT2 can be had for $800-$1600 at Dell Outlet (business), depending on options. So it's penabled and has capacitive multi-touch 12" screen, and is available with a daylight viewable screen. It should do everything you need, although it might struggle with 3DS Max, but I'm not 100% on what 3DS Max needs now-a-days. Something to look at, at least.

If you want a larger screen a used Gateway C140X could do you good. Wacom penabled, but no touch. It has a 14" screen, but weighs about 6-7 lbs. I've been able to get ~5-6 hours out of mine, if I conserve the battery with lower settings. In fact, I'm considering selling mine fairly cheap, so if you're interested PM me and I'll get you the exact specs.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Take a look at the HP 2730p/ 2740p (If you get one with the Hydis screen, it will have one of the best screens you can get) otherwise a Lenovo IBM X200t/ X201t (look at the ones with the "Outdoor viewable screen" option, again that will get you one of the best screens available)

4. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice thanks, the 2740p looked very interesting. Know about the price range on it with the hydis screen?
    edit:
    How is it versus the TM2? What's better on the TM and whats better on the Elitebook?

@GandihM
    I do think I've seen a Dock for the EP121
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub16pN_2tmk

5. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're willing to spend up to US$2,000?

The upcoming Fujitsu LifeBook T901 could have an NVIDIA Optimus graphics option. Coupled with the standard BOE Hydis AFFS+ screen, you'd have a great machine for both 2D and 3D art if that's the case...but they don't come cheap (they START at about US$1,900, which likely isn't getting you anything more than an Intel GMA HD), and I don't know how available they are over in Norway.

If you can do without scintillating 3ds max performance, however, then the Asus Eee Slate EP121 is shaping up to be a great product. IPS LCD gives it quite a leg up over the tm2's TN.

As for the tm2 vs. 2740p: The former has a much lower price, 2.5" HDD, and dedicated graphics. The latter is much better balanced (won't tip back in your lap), ruggedly built, and has a nice IPS or AFFS+ LCD (can't tell which, but it's great either way), but over twice the price, no dedicated graphics, and uses a 1.8" HDD or SSD for some reason.

6. GandhiM

GandhiM Pen Pal - Newbie

I think Asus has changed the design of the EP121 since it was released last year. At least that's what I've seen on here, and I haven't seen any new reports talking about a docking station, just the tablet itself.

Here's the official site for it: ASUS Eee Slate - Entertaining meets enterprising with the most powerful tablet

Not trying to burst your bubble. I just don't want you to buy it thinking you'll have that, and be disappointed. If you're really interested in it, and not having the dock would kill it for you, I'd call and ask them.

7. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, so the EP121, there shouldnt be any lag running photoshop? (Sketching, inking, painting and editing.) And is it possible to upgrade to a bigger HDD u think? 64gb seems a tad to little. And I know it has USB, and dock. So thats okey, could buy a external hdd to use with it aswell. For home use etc.
    I will use it for some notetaking at school and write some papers on it, allthough its mainly for photoshop. And maby some video editing. But, what do you mean by scintillating it? :S :p

Edit: GandihM, the EP121 has not been entirely released yet. The link you sent me is the one on the video :) And hasn't been released yet, Shogmaster is actually the one that recomended it for me, he tried it on CES 2011 :) Think it's sold ceperatly
    But I really appreciate your concern :) Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0M5WC8IaTg

8. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

The Fujitsu T901 looked promising, is it worth the wait? And is it Wacom?
    Right now, if I dont get any better advices, I think it's between the T901 (If wacom) and the EP121, or maby 2740p if i get some more user "reviews" on it.

This is very hard! :p

9. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry I took so long getting back to you (selling my Tm2 took a lot of time), well anyways:

The Elitebooks are much much better than the Tm2; most notably in the screen quality (the Elitebooks are great, especially with the Hydis screen. the Hydis was common in the 2730p, but it is not as common in the 2740p) the 2730p does not have touch at all, but I found that I didn't really use/ like touch all that much as a input method, but that is an opinion thing.
    To be honest I think you would be better off getting a Tablet PC that has the older (hardly at all) Core 2 Duo processors, as you will get WAAAYY more battery life (4-5 hrs on the 2730p, compared to 2-2.5 hrs on the 2740p; at least those are the results I've heard from users, that is only with the standard battery) while still being able to do very intensive work. I really think a decent 2730p would suite your needs better than any "current" Tablet PC.

You should be able to find a slightly used 2730p for $500 alone, or up to $750 for a maxed out one with all the extras*
    A used or new 2740p will run you between $1,000 to $1,500 easily. it is still "new" so the prices are much higher.

*the extras are really cool: the Slim battery is a battery that covers exactly the bottom of the 2730p (and doubles battery life); as well as the slim dock (super thin DVD drive, a bunch of powered USB ports, and several types of connectors). there is also 3g network cards in some of them.

10. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

No problem, Guess I could live without touch ofc...
    Hmm, then it actually stands between those and the slate...
    I am thinking about getting a slate and rather a laptop on the side that has more power to it and that I could just use my intuos 3 on if needed aside the slate.... Meantime I would use the slate for studentwork alongwith sketching/painting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.