Why WIndows 8/RT still not a compeling Tablet OS? and what changes microsoft should make for making it a compeling Tablet OS?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Aman, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh my god.I am almost like surprised.

But does it really a correct place to put a PC File manger there????

What the heck Microsoft???

Its been more than 9-10 months I am with WIndows 8 and I came to know about this now!!!
    That's really crazy that you have FIle manager access inside Skydrive APPP?
    Its really funny.
    Why there's no direct shortcut to File manager on the start screen???

I think both the free FIle manger apps talked about here as well as the "Link FIle" app I was using these days also don't have move functionality which should be included in next updates.

You were right.But is SkyDrive app a correct place to have a File manager???

This is why Microsoft does some CRUDE Engineering.It shows less sense in knowing where and what to put.

However,the nice thing about "File Manager HD Free" is that the Files can be sorted in either Name,Date,Type,Size,Ascending and Descending category,a feature desirable in the Default Touch based file explorer.In "Link File" app too,we can sort files.

Finally I decided to put it here:

Why WIndows 8/RT still not a compeling Tablet OS? and what - Microsoft Community

I don't know whether Microsoft really always listens to consumers?Still,I have some hope that they might listen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you ask me, whoever at MS came up with the idea of integrating the file manager into the skydrive app was both a genius and an incredibly stupid guy. It makes perfect sense to have the file manager manage both your cloud storage and your local files, hence the genius part. However, could it have been more hidden, they should have used another name or made it obvious otherwise that the skydrive app was also the file manager, hence the stupid part.

I discovered that roughly a month ago thanks to some forum (TCPR, NBR or Arstechnica, not sure which) by the way.

nnthemperor and Aman like this.
  3. Aman

Since how many months you have been using w8? I have to admit that Genius people are sometimes stupid.Remember the story of newton who made two holes in wall-one for small cat and other for a big cat.

Actually speaking,atleast a separate shortcut link should be pinned on start screen for a PC file manger even if both are integrated into one.

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  4. Aman

Its a matter of fact that I am loving Windows 8.I do think that Windows 8 can REALLY become A Fine Mobile Tablet OS,better than Android.All it needs is a few changes in MS Word,Excel and Powerpoint.
    I can tell that apart from the MS Office issue,Windows seems to be a better OS than Android.
    WINDOWS:::I m lovin it.

Persionally speaking,I don't prefer iPads.For me its android or windows if its a Tablet.
    Theres no file system in iPad.iPad is just a reading and entertainment device.

5. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Android also has the advantage in apps too. I love my Windows tablet, but it's largely because I mostly use OneNote and Matlab. If I wanted it for a more general usage, I'd probably still go for an Android tablet at this point. I got a $25 dollar credit for Windows store purchases back in November, and it recently expired with $10 left on it because no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find any apps I thought were worth buying even with free money. Now if I had a $25 credit to the Play Store, it wouldn't make it through the day.

6. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

Windows should allow more features:

- custom keyboards
    - external stores
    - File Manager Access on modern UI

Plus:
    - better search comparable to Win 7 including folders
    - resizing windows after Desktop was in snap view

[Sent from my HTC One]

7. Aman

Yes,File manager should be accessable directly on Start screen without having to go though OneDrive app.

external stores:

Already existant in a way,even on Windows 7.I used the Intel App store to download "Krita" metro style sketching app.While the app isn't good enough,it was the metro style app which I downloaded through Intel App Store.

Custom Keyboards:

I don't think that they are really gonna to be so useful.

Apps:

They are less but sufficient.
    Great youtube app is "Hyper for YouTube".
    BIng maps is decent maps app if not as great as Google maps.
    Windows Store offers all apps anyone will basically need.

Google Maps is still accessable through google search app but I believe without custom Pinning functionality.

Practically speaking apps was not a big problem for me on WIndows store accept that it took quiet a bit of effort to find that Hyper for YouTube was best W8 YouTube app available at that time.

Web Browser:

Total support for seeing,uploading and downloading files.

The flash support is a joy to have.

The Centre Joe game on IE 11 is a joy to use.

Book Store and iTunes U:

No Inbuilt book store unlike Google play book store or iOS iTunes U? NO Problem.

PC version of iTunes is available for free download.

Kobo Book Store app, Kindle Book Store and Kno TextBook App for Windows 8 is available.

Nook Book store app available in select countries.

What more do you really accept other than improving coding updates and better touch optimised Office suite on WIndows 8 to let it become the best OS???

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  8. Rebeljuice

Rebeljuice Pen Pal - Newbie

I think RT is brilliant. It just works out of the box. All consumer needs are accommodated and it includes Office. Most people on these forums are tech savvy and are happy dealing with the constant windows updates, driver and BIOS updates, fixes for things that went wrong and installing antivirus/malware protection that full blown Windows brings. They also want their tablet to do more than just consume. Most people who buy a tablet dont though. RT does not require maintenance and is not at any risk of unwanted toolbars/adware being installed by freeware you thought you wanted. It wont start slowing down the older it gets and there wont ever be the need for a reset or restore.

The argument that RT isnt needed and that they could just lock down the desktop on a full blown Windows install for those that just want to consume content in Metro doesnt work. Full blown windows requires looking after and tweaking/updating/fixing/tuning whether the desktop is locked down or not.

If the surface 2 had pen support I would be all over it. I think MS missed a trick not adding it. WinRT, pen support and Office is all I would really ever need from a tablet. Instead I am having to go with full blown Windows to get the pen support and I am having to deal with the problems so many of these tablets have - read the Asus Vivotab Note 8 threads, the Venue Pro threads, the Thinkpad 8 threads... They all have issues be they driver issues, hardware issues, supply issues or pricing issues. None of them just work out of the box.

jnjroach likes this.
  9. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm still not understanding this counter argument. If the Desktop side is completely locked down so that only the Metro side is functional, I don't see where the desktop needs any of that maintenance. Sure, it doesn't work like that now because they don't have it implemented in that fashion, but an option like that could be implemented, and I really don't think it would even be all that hard to do.

WinRT isn't bad. I just don't think it's all that competitive against Android and iOS. It's not as open as Android so you don't have all the app, customization, and personalization options that make that OS so beloved. It doesn't have Apple's ecosystem and I doubt Microsoft will ever look to support it to that degree, so it doesn't have what makes that OS beloved. So I really don't see the point in it. The tech savvy will want the will take more over less so 8.1 would be the best choice. The more casual users will want Android or iOS because right now they can provide better overall experiences.

10. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The argument that x86 need constant maintenance from users is flawed. The surface pro gets all its updates from windows update same as RT and doesn't require user intervention, all those firmware updates just happen. Just because other OEMS don't utilize this feature isn't down to the OS rather their inability/unwillingness to use this functionality.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.