why they have changed the handwriting tabtip?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by thierryb, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Too big, and just 2 lines, and with very big characters. LOL
    Unbelivable

2. smaug

smaug Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree totally. I can't believe no one else is mentioning it. Does anyone have an idea about how to get the old one back? Win8 is awesome in every other respect...

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

People have mentioned it, believe me. But most people nowadays are handwriting with their fingers (or not handwriting at all), which is the reason why you don't see the complaints very often. If I ever buy one of these new Win8 tablets, I'll downgrade the hell out of it back to Win7 or Vista. Anything but 8!

4. freewilly

freewilly Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got a (legal) DL of Win8 sitting on a USB key and have just been.. waiting. So far, what I've been hearing, especially re. handwriting, has been either discouraging or contradictory. I fear that it might become another Vista and don't really want to spend my time chasing down problems and griping about stuff that can't/won't be fixed. I've done enough of the former with Win7, and have learned to live with the latter.

Maybe I'll.. keep waiting.

5. thierryb

in fact, the main issue is the size of the box, if it was smaller it should be good, and in fact it is even better than the one on seven.
    Microsoft just need us to allow to redimension it like it is with seven. It is as if they forget the usage of the pen. Perhaps they will improve it when they will deliver their surface pro.

I have not found how to configure the tabtip like it was with seven.

The only thing you can do is decide if it is movable or not.

See picture, moving it I have only one line, and the screen is less obstructed.

tabtip.jpg

6. thierryb

I will dig in the registry tomorrow and compare the 7 and 8
    I hope we will find something

7. iwant12

iwant12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I found this key in W8 might be of interest.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TabletTip

And it might be worth asking on the

Internals - Sysinternals Forums

if any tweeks could be done to this or any reg enties you might find or even how to restore the tab tip.

Regards

8. redgeek

redgeek Pen Pal - Newbie

And requires a step to bring it up. What the hell UI person thought this was a good idea?

I like my samsung ATIV, but windows 8 I'm not so sure about.

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I definitely agree that the TIP is a step back in many ways from Windows 7. It's not context sensitive anymore (so it doesn't distinguish fingers from pen), it doesn't automatically pop up on the desktop unless an app specifically uses the right APIs, and it's not really good for handwriting recognition anymore. I'd love to see more improvements on that front. However, the only time I really use the pen anymore is in OneNote anyway. For entering text into an app, I prefer the onscreen keyboard. It's just when I want to keep things handwritten that I even bother with the pen. So sure, that small part of Windows was better in 7. The rest is such a step forward for tablets that it's the tiniest of inconveniences.

10. thierryb

I tried to import the parameters (registry) of my ep121 to the 500t, it did not work.
    I have no idea to solve our issue except asking microsoft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.