Why the surface line doesn't have Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by desertlap, Apr 26, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm calling a little bs here:

"It is for the same reason, according to a Microsoft presenter, that all Surface products have soldered RAM, as attackers could use liquid nitrogen to preserve the state of a RAM chip without power, move the chip to an external RAM reader, and then get full unprotected access to your RAM, including encryption keys."

If someone was that desperate to access your data, that person could just dunk the whole board, or even the whole bloody device, into liquid nitrogen and slowly dissect it later.

'Soldering it' down does practically nothing to deter a cold boot attack.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Now for the less educated amount us, pray do tell what be the effects of liquid nitrogen?

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's used to preserve the charge state of DRAM packages, so the memory contents can be dumped later in what's known as a 'cold boot' attack:

(Wikipedia)
    "DIMM memory modules gradually lose data over time as they lose power, but do not immediately lose all data when power is lost. Depending on temperature and environmental conditions, memory modules can potentially retain, at least, some data for up to 90 minutes after power loss. With certain memory modules, the time window for an attack can be extended to hours or even weeks by cooling them with freeze spray. Furthermore, as the bits disappear in memory over time, they can be reconstructed, as they fade away in a predictable manner. Consequently, an attacker can perform a memory dump of its contents by executing a cold boot attack..."

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I don't buy this either. A "cold boot attack" - OMG - how ridiculous of a concern. And how does this article even begin to "explain" why they are the ONLY OEM without Thunderbolt 3. To me it is only protecting their investment in the Surface Connector.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

and on matter of Microsoft's pathetic excuses for not having Thunderbolt 3.....that's BS.....literally every other OEM has has no problem implementing it. I'm also reminded of that redit post that leaked a few months back over how unwilling to make changes the Surface team was. Like post Pro 6.......they needed to be schooled on why people would want USB-C at all........I think Microsoft just made some really poor behind the scenes choices and is now stretching to find any way to justify those choices....no matter how laughable it may come across. Lets just say I really hope the Book 3 has thunderbolt3....given its status as Microsofts more "perfromance" option in the Surface line....not having that on the Book 3 will be even more laughable then the Pro 7 not having it.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The Book 2 should have had TB3...no excuses...be prepared to laugh...

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Considering that almost all of Intels mainstream chipsets support Thunderbolt natively except for the very low end pentiums and celerons, combined with MS public expressed goal to pursue the MacBook Pro market with the surface book line, it seems ridiculous that they don't support TB at least with that line.

Especially when it looks like the Book 3 may have Quadro graphics

I guess we'll see when they finally announce.

BTW: A PR firm affiliated friend of mine read the article I linked to and her response was "that looks like something written by an entry level employees without review by senior staff" :p

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think it was a clever decision... implemented to not upset the oems. MS making machine would have annoyed them, sure, but those same oems released their own versions with improved options. WIth MS not moving too far ahead, which we know that they could have, it allowed room for the other models such as the Dell/HP range.

nnthemperor likes this.