Why the iPad is Successful?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by DaveP, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

really the wrong topic for this.

Can't talk to much about how Citrix is setup, what it costs, resources etc.. as I don't do any of that.

We have been using Citrix for a number of things for a long time. My access to the DNS Tool used for DNS on the Winside for example is delivered via Citrix. I just click on the icon, and after a few moments it shows up as a running app on my workstation. The tool sucks, but the Citrix delivery of it works just fine.

Recently, we have been trying to deal with upgrading all desktop users to IE8, yep... still using IE6 on a lot of desktops. The problem is that IE6 is required for connectors etc.. to run the web apps for example. The solution, was to setup Citrix for those apps so that they still ran under IE6, without the users needing IE6 any more on their desk tops.... While I have not directly used this, I have seen it working and it is fast enough for me.

So when a few market managers with Xoom's (not iPads) asked if they could access their legacy stuff they currently accessed with notebooks/netbooks, we found that Android has a very finger friendly Citrix Receiver. There was one for iPads as well.

Since they were already setting up the IE6 stuff, they spend a day or two doing the same for some of the apps the Market managers use. Now both Xoom and iPads can access them.

Most of the people are not using their devices for copious notes... It's not like they are doing depositions or anything. They are normally working from prepared agendas where they are adding simple one or two word coments, occassional a sentence or two or just a check mark as they go down the list. So the virtual keyboard are more than adequate (actually work a bit better than the Slate Virtual keyboard).

Those that actually write notes, well, they kind of look like mine as I have horendous hand writting and take few note during meetings as well.

The problem with the Slate is that the Citrix client is not designed for a tabletPC, but for regular Win7. So unlike the versions for the iPad and Android which are designed for finger access, it doesn't do that and assumes you have a physical keyboard. Even pressing the keyboard hardware button on the side doesn't pop it up.

If they released a Citrix client designed for a TablePC, it would most likely be a different matter.

So in a strange way, they have better access than I do using iPads and Xooms.

Citrix has a demo site which I can't find right off hand, that allows you to setup a live demo using it. It gives you a desktop and some basic tools to play with.

2. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks I understand Citrix better. So would it be correct to Say that an Android tablet with Evernote and a pen with multi-touch, might work quite well for business apps and notetaking? HTC Flyer is the only one out that I know of.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I will confess since I purchaes the Hot Virtual Keyboard I use my finer more and only use the pen for inking notes in meetings or con calls...

4. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

Well I'm not in a situation that requires me to use computer systems in that way. I just get tired of hearing the endgadget people constantly complaining about bad pinch-zooming as if that was the most important thing. I purchased an iPod touch and as such I have no need of the Pad version.
    I have the Slate 500 and am satisfied with it. I wrote This on my slate in fact.
    I tend to get annoyed with the Pad worship and all of the clones that Keep coming out.
    It's almost as if Tablet PC's never existed until mighty Steve showed them the way, and all of them just come off as toys to me.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This quote is exactly the reason iPad is sweepiong the field. You are totally underestimating the capabilities of the iPad. I returned mine because I KNOW what a true tablet can do (HP 2740p). Still, it is the lightest, easiest to use, and most customizable of tablets, even more so than my 2740p. So keep wearing your distain on your sleave while Apple keeps rolling over the market.

Don't get me wrong, I KNOW the Tablet PC is better in the business context, but if Apple ever relents and lets the iPad use a real active digitizer, it will be game, set, match for this segment.

6. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

You guys are ignoring that the iPad has arguably the best build quality, best screen, and best battery life of anything available. Added to that, it's scope of use in the business world may be smaller than that of a windows machine, but what it does, it often does in a more intuitive and sensible, thus easier way.

I would argue that most iPad buyers are not fools for doing so.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

We also have to realize we are a very small minority of the computing public. Apple sold more iPad's in one year than ALL of the tablets ever sold before it - combined. I'm sure the buying public would ask who are the real fools under those cirumstances. :rolleyes:

8. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can the iPad be locked down via Group policy? If not then it's NEVER coming near this network.

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Plus, it is soooo fashionable to display the bitten apple for all the MS haters to worship the user.

I bet Apple could sell just the shells for $300 like those fake smartphones you can buy and clip on your belt to look ultra cool. They don't need to actually work for some, just look good sitting there.

Just like the PDA situation of a few years ago I now know 2 people with an iPad and 1 with an iPad 2 that received them as gifts and have not even opened the box yet. They pipe up in meetings all the time...'oh, I have one of those too...' as they see me using my TabletPC. Pathetic.

Best screen? Easiest to use? Maybe, but it is ruining the TabletPC. Why did the TabletPC not 'catch on' or become more 'popular?' Here is the reason --> In 2004 dollars, my TC1100 cost $3,500 before accessories. Businesses were the only ones to adopt because they could make money with them. The public would never even notice. You can buy a car to get to work for that, they certainly are not going to buy an electronic toy to look at Youtube videos or update their Twitter account.

What is that in 2011 dollars? About $5k? And the 'public', or at least the self proclaimed 'experts' think the Fujitsu Q550 is 'overpriced' at $850....

10. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

I think that both the iPad supporters and detractors here make valid points. It is (or should be) all about use cases. An iPad is a great device for couch surfing and watching movies. It isn't good for editing and commenting on Word documents. For that you need a Windows tablet. But current Windows tablets either weigh more or have a 5" screen which makes them less than perfect for couch surfing. It's all in what you want and how many devices you can afford.

Having said that, Apple does have a coolness factor which drives some sales. I suspect that the initial surge was fueled, in part, by parents purchasing Christmas presents for their kids, knowing that their kids would see the iPad as cool whether or not they had a real use for it.

I also disagree that the iPad has ruined the tablet market. I have been a tablet user for years and there was no tablet market beyond the full powered convertible tablets from Lenovo, Dell, and others. Motion and TabletKiosk were insignificant niche products; Fujitsu's offerings varied; Sony came and left; Viliv and UMID never got traction; OQO tried and failed; and many others never got past vaporware. At least now there are major companies offering competing products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.