Why the iPad is Successful?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by DaveP, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

2. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

The masses have been so brainwashed by apple,that no matter what they put out it becomes the next "must have", don't get me wrong I own several ipods and a touch, but when I decided that I wanted a tablet, I never considered the ipad because I wanted and needed a computer running windows 7, plus in my opinion the ipad is just a bigger touch anyway.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

It is even worse than that I think. I don't really believe it is as much love for Apple as it is hate for Microsoft. Apple lovers are counter-culture, at least with the computer usage.

Case in point; read the HTC Flyer review at engadget. It is an Android tablet with an N-trig DuoSense active digitizer. The reviewer thinks a 'pen' is pretty unique and likes it even though there is only one program that appears to be able to make use of it. But that is okay, it will get better over the years.

All pretty yawn inspiring for us tabletpc users until you consider the wider view of the situation; if this were a Win 7 tablet with a pen, like the similar recent engadget review of the Fujitsu Q550 where it was called every name in the book and you, the reader, were left the feeling that it is the laughing stock of all tabletdome because it uses a pen. The Apple/Android tablet fan base is pointedly anti-Windows. The Q550 and the Flyer use the same active digitizer and a similar pen. Many programs for Windows already make use of pen input; too many to mention here in fact.

My point? It is a counter-culture thing...

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Ipad is a success because it was designed to be used by idiots. It opened to flood gates for the fools to enter and thus effectively dumbed down the entire Tablet market.

5. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, yes, but tell us how do you really feel?
    I agree by the way, the iPad is a cute toy, but that's all it is. I am the owner of several Windows tablets and each one offers way more than the iPad does. I have an iPod touch, I see no need to, own a Pad.
    Considering the vitriolic hate you see at places like endgadget for any tablet without the apple logo, the fact that they have a near religious experience is not surprising. They seem to think that finger manipulation is the greatest thing on Earth.

6. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't disagree with that view of finger manipulation, just with the inclusion of a tablet in the overall experience.

7. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

I am a firm believer in the right tool for the right job. I have both Winbased stuff and Unix based stuff for that very reason.

At work, the iPad has made large in roads for actual business use. With the inclusion of the Citrix Receiver and some work setting up Citrix based access to now most of the business apps used in the company. This has allowed a device which can't run those apps, to have almost full access to them while in the office or via 4G Hotspot usage.

This is easily leaving the slate behind because it no longer matters that the device can't run the apps, as they can easily be run via the Citrix Receiver and they actually run quite well. Citrix for Win7 does poorly on the slate because it pretty much assumes a physical keyboard and "finger control" just isn't there. Even the Android version of the Citrix Receiver on say a Xoom works great.

Also the lack of good finger friendly apps (programs) for Win7 hurts the Slate a lot. Try finding a good photo album that works well with finger gestures etc.. Even Android has a number of very easy to use apps for that. This is not an HP issue, it is a TabletPC issue. there is no development taking place with finger control being the focus. Certainly not on the scale that is taking place in iPad and Android areas where finger control is not an option.

And while the slate for me is a business tool, the inability to do some basic easy to use game software that work with finger control is a bit annoying. I am left surfing the web while others are playing with stuff like Garageband. The digitizer is not much of an advantage anymore as the other tablets don't need it for most of the business access tools now.

Why I haven't moved over... Major hold ups, at least for me are iTunes. I absolutely hate the app and refuse to load it on any machine, and the inability to easily load and move data around. But there are tools around that are making that more possible on the iPad and it is not a big issue on Droid based tablets like the Xoom.

The staff meeting the other day was interesting... 14 people in the meeting. 6 with iPads instead of notepads (including the Director), 1 Slate and 2 Xoom users. The rest using yellow pads still. So more than half are now using a tablet device of some sort now, and the iPads are no longer just recreational, they are actually being use in the business with better business access than a TabletPC has to the online tools used by the business. The Xoom works very well with the Citrix Receiver.

The only tablet unable to view the new Citrix server stuff presented in the meeting was me. As again, the Citrix client for win7 is not really tablet friendly.

A couple months ago, there was 1 iPad and it was pretty much a toy that they didn't really use during the meeting.

Biggest reason why people are not getting a slate instead of an iPad.... "no fun stuff on it". Seriously, that is what I keep getting told.

The iPad makes a great recreational toy along with being usable for business now as long as you have network access.

BTW.. Before the meeting started, all of the iPad users were playing with their latest toy... Garageband. Pretty amazing "tool" for something like $4. My son a musician would love it.

8. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

I think you are grossly undervaluing finger access for a tablet device.

With the exception of taking notes, something that I basically only do on my slate while I am in a meeting, 95% of my usage of my Slate is via finger. The rare time I pull out the stylus is when for some reason, I can't get my finger to do what I want it to do.

Having no stylus for my Smartphone doesn't degrade the usage of it. I use it a ton more than I do my slate.

While the stylus does open up access to tools that can't be used on other tablets without one, unless you use them on a regular basis, you are most likley using your finger more often. Having an N-trig digitizer is actually a negative to some who would actually use the stylus (drawing etc...).

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Hence, the marketing push by N-trig with the DuoSense technology as 'pen optional.'

10. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

Very interesting post. Could you explain more on how the Citrix works? My company uses Citrix to access our network for connection to files. We can also use accounting and word processing programs, but they are very limited in their capability, and the user interface is really difficult. Speed is very slow and Citrix is only accessible via a wired network connection, not wireless. We have programs but not "Apps." Finally, our IT department isn't the most savvy. What are you doing to make a penless tablet productive in a business environment? Taking notes in a meeting must be by typing, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.