Why Surface Pro vs ASUS TF810 or Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T1C ?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by michaelws, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MobileHG

MobileHG Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the 700T and battery life has not been anything over 5.5 hours max. And this was with only browsing, some email, few videos but most of the time I only get 5 hours of battery life. Pretty much I expect the same on the Surface Pro.

2. brokenlax

brokenlax Pen Pal - Newbie

I have owned both the W700 and the 700t, here are my experiences on both:

W700:
    -Terrible wifi drivers (broken out of the box), clean install sometimes doesn't fix it
    -Severe light bleed near the home button
    -Throttling at 65C, making the processor VERY slow
    -Shoddy build quality (touch screen lifts, not at even level)
    -Heavy

+Screen is extremely crisp
    +Decent battery life (although questionable by throttling)

700T:
    -Fan is LOUD (kicks up to max speed on a very low temp).
    -Screen is terrible, the wacom digitizer makes the screen look grainy
    -The dock simply is defective by design. It would constantly make disconnect sounds if you adjust the angle, or just by touching the screen, moving it around, or any movement that might disturb the tiny dock connectors.
    -Annoying dock disconnect sounds at interval of 2 or 3 times per SECOND (Samsung even has an option to turn off ALL usb connect sounds because they realize this is an issue)
    -Plastic construction
    -Plastic back is prone to scratching by the metal docking clamp

+Wacom (Although it makes the screen look grainy)
    +Very light (for a x86 slate)

With that being said I've since returned the 700t and sold my W700 to a friend. I am patiently waiting for the Surface Pro hoping that won't be a huge flop and that it will havebetter quality check. I have also looked at the Helix and the Book, and they are both extremely attractive assuming if none of them have issues. Although I would most likely pick the Book if the Wacom digitizer on the Helix causes a similar grainy effect on the screen as with the 700t.

3. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been happy with my Vaio Duo 11. None of these new ultrabook hybrid form factors have enough memory or drive space for me to be a laptop replacement. The Surface really fails there for me.

I have restrictions on weight for laptops (need under 4lbs) but also need it to be powerful. I run a lot of stuff in VMs. The Panasonic J10 (full Core i7 - no ULV, 16GB of memory, and I have a 1TB SSD in there, under 3lbs) is great but I also wanted the ability to have an electronic whiteboard for presentations. That's where the Duo came in. My problem with the Duo isn't processor; the ULV i7 when throttled is just as seemingly fast as the J10, and I believe the Sony has a faster bus, etc., so the two are roughly the same. It's the lack of memory which prevents it from truly being a full laptop replacement for me.

I love the fact with the Sony not only do I have a real VGA port (important if you present a lot - and no, I don't want to carry dongles with me to convert), but I can annotate during presentations. Sony nearly got it right.

None of the new hybrids with real processors - Duo, Asus, Helix, Surface Pro - are quite right. It's about what your needs are.

4. fella1

fella1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't used the W700 but I have had the 700T for a little over a month now and experienced the following relative to your experience:

I also thought that the fan was loud when I first used it but I guess I adjusted to it really qucikly because I no longer notice it. I have used several android tablets prior to having this one so I guess I was accustomed to a tablet making no noise at all.

I think the screen looks pretty good although I do notice the slightly grainy look that you describe as well.

The dock problem is a manufacturing defect on some tablets, it is not a definite issue with all of them. I have never experienced a single disconnect on my keyboard since I've had the tablet and I've used it on my lap and on my bed. anyone who gets the tablet and has this problem should return it for a replacement right away.

The disconnect sound problem is related to the keyboard defect on some tablets.

I don't have an issue with the plastic construction, still feels like a quality tablet too me.

I am really happy with my 700t and the only thing I would like to see an improvement on is battery life and graphic performance. I suspect that I will have to wait until haswell to see any worthwhile improvement in those areas

5. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

I also went with the Vaio Duo 11. The Samsung seemed to have a ton of build issues, and reliability issues. I should mention that I have practically 0 tolerance for poor build materials and that extends to everything from furniture, to cars, to phones and computers. So really the Surface Pro appealed to me the most, with the Sony earning second place. Further I don't really like the dock designs, b/c they require that you either carry a bulky laptop or forgo the keyboard... also docked tablets are too wobbly to write on when docked. Only the Pro and the Vaio present you with keyboards that are always available and offer a sturdy fixed position screen that allows you to write/annotate when the keyboard is being used. Ultimately the Pro's lack of SSD and RAM, combined with the better typing experience on the Sony forced my hand. At the end of the day I'm glad I chose the Sony, its the best configured machine on the market... only an i7/256GB SSD/8GB RAM Surface Pro would make me reconsider... but its probably at least 6 months before that presents itself, while the Vaio post CES is being offered with a 512GB SSD.

6. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've also been using the Duo 11 and I am enjoying it. It is a good ultrabook but is a bit too unwieldy to use as a tablet. I am awaiting reviews for the Surface and I'm hoping that it has Haswell so we can get another hour of battery life. I'm afraid that 4 hours of battery life is too short for me and I've been spoiled by the 8 to 10 hours of using the Duo 11 with sheet battery. If the Surface Pro can achieve 5 to 6 hours of onenote inking without having to put the brightness on 10%, then I will be picking up one on Feb 9th.

Also, with all the bad press about the disk space, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 256gb pro within the next couple of months. I wouldn't mind paying $1199 for something like that even without a touch/type cover.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I sure hope you're wrong about this, as my wife will kill me when I come in and say "But dear, I know it's only been a couple of months since I bought this BUT IT HAS DOUBLE THE STORAGE!"

Because surely, less than six months later it will be "I know love, but this one has a HASWELL processor to go with that double storage I bought in April..." I can feel the frying pan hitting me now...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  8. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Poor you ...you've already been shot here once..lol....seems like you're a survivor.
    However ,I think a frying pan would hurt more!

9. species5618w

species5618w Scribbler - Standard Member

Haswell is coming and all these will become seriously obsolete in 6 months in terms of battery life. I saw a Samsung series 7 slate in store for $499. Might as well get that one to fill in the gap for now.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What store - was it a return/refurb?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.