1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Why Surface Pro vs ASUS TF810 or Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T1C ?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by michaelws, Jan 11, 2013.

1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member

I want one of these. Right now I cannot make up m mind. I met a guy here from Microsoft and he said the Surface Pro will give me between 5 and 7 hours working in Corel Painter or other graphics program. Not bad at all.

I read good things about the Samsung tablet, the Smart PC Pro and it has similar battery life and some claim to get very good pressure sensitivity with Painter and Photoshop.

Asus TF810 right now seems to have a problem with pressure sensitivity with Painter and Photoshop...but they say that when Wacom releases the driver then that problem will be mute. But the Asus will have a much longer battery life with and without the keyboard dock.

Being that Corel Painter is the sole reason I want one of these tablets...can anyone point me to a site that compares them...or is there someone here that can make the case for an artist for the Surface Pro. Right now the only drawback to the Surface Pro is that it has the 1080 resolution and I wonder, because the tablet is slightly smaller than the 11.6 Samsung and Asus..and even on those tablets some artist are saying that the UI is a bit tricky because some of the tool settings are hard to click on because they are so small.

Anyway....I would be grateful for any feedback anyone might be able to offer on this subject. Thank you.
  2. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well I decided to wait for the pro for a few reasons. First is the build quality. The ativ is powerful but the plastic creaks and it is cheaply made IMO. The surface rt has great build quality and you can tell that every aspect of the design was well thought out. I am also curious how well the 1080p screen will look on such a small display but we should be able to adjust the dpi to make the text more readable. Another thing about the ativ that pisses me off is the lack of battery inside the dock. Since the dock is so light, it can easily tip over when the tablet is docked. I chose the surface since it should fit easier in the hand (due to smaller dimensions) so it's more comfortable for me when studying around the house. I have not used the acer so I really can't comment on that one.
  3. michaelws

Thanks for you input on this thetruth1983...appreciate all the opinions I can get.
  4. Virodeath

Virodeath Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got the Samsung Ativ PC Pro 700t. Build is very solid for plastic, pretty impressed actually.

The battery life is awesome so far, 9 hours of life yesterday during the internet and using Pandora.

I am using an Lenovo stylus and the sensitivity is a huge improvement over the stock stylus. I am planning on using this for inking my notes from school in One Note.

I was going to wait for the Surface Pro but after the horrible battery life reviews and feeling how the RT version at the store felt, i just didn't like how it held in my hands with the beveled edges.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Viro
  5. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...I would be grateful for any feedback anyone might be able to offer on this subject...>>

Michael: It sounds like you might be happier waiting a little longer for the Lenovo Helix (~1st Quarter 2013)
  6. michaelws

Thanks Viro and Steve. I had never heard of the Helix. I like that it has more options, i3, i5, i7, and up to 8gb ram and 256 gb drive. I wonder if it is going to be in the price range of the Fujitsu T902 once you customize to the max. I will add that to the list to look at. Have you heard anything on the battery life?

Thank you both...doesn't look like this decision will be an easy one...but the Helix seems to raise the bar and opens the options to produce higher res sketches and use larger brushes with less lag. I will be interested to see all the price options on it.
  7. kevlee

kevlee Pen Pal - Newbie

i thought ATIV Smart PC Pro and Surface Pro has almost identical specification, therefore their battery life should be the same.
  8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

But no one else has reported 9 hrs before. Most report 4-5 hours of real world usage on the 700t. Just s heads up. It's most definitely not rated at 9 hrs by a long shot. Just sayin. The load must have been very light.
  9. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the surface has a 42 watt battery while the Ativ has the 49 watt battery.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...Have you heard anything on the battery life?..>>

(RE: Helix) Lenovo is claiming something like 4-5 hours when the in slate mode and 9-10 hours when plugged into the base unit (which has its own battery). Pretty impressive, but thick (almost 1") and heavy (~4 lbs) when in laptop mode...
  11. thegiffman

thegiffman Pen Pal - Newbie

In my case, I'm interested in the Surface Pro because of how compact it is. The keyboard doubles as a cover, and thus you don't need to add or take anything off to switch from sitting at the table or lying on the couch. Seems trivial, but this to me is a key to the form factor. I'm just imagining myself with the tablet all of a sudden remembering I need to type an important email. The difference between kicking out the stand and flipping over the keyboard cover to trying to track down wherever the heck I left the keyboard unit is actually significant.

Basically I like the different scenarios a lot better. With the Samsung you get either a tablet or a notebook (with an additional piece). With the Surface, you get a tablet that turns into a notebook on a table with no extra piece. Also, with the Surface you get an uncluttered desktop with an external monitor, a bluetooth keyboard, a mouse, AND a little Cintiq lying down or an extra small monitor standing up. With the Samsung, you have a notebook on your desk alongside the rest, which is less flexible. If you want it standing up, you need to use the laptop keyboard. If you want it lying down like a Cintiq, you need to stash the keyboard somewhere. The end result is less elegant.
  12. xterrapro

xterrapro Pen Pal - Newbie

I just returned my atif700 and got nowhere close to nine hours. My atif500 was at nine easy. For basic browsing. Movies and web I clocked in at five and some change. I loved the screen and resolution but the keyboard docking issues resulted in the primary reason for the return. I'm lined up to get two pros St this point.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  13. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I doubt the Pro is going to to get 7 hrs battery life while running Corel. I'd be pretty amazed by that. Probably 5, depending on the scale/size/complexity of what you're doing. Maybe more if they're going to use the new 10-13w iCore. Who knows?
  14. SyruM

SyruM Pen Pal - Newbie

Very interesting thread, I have been reading and thank you for the info on my part also, I asked the same question about tablets (with a removable dock) a short time ago for digital art and only got the Samsung ATIV Pro, I have an older lifebook but want to be rid of the keyboard when sketching... not a weight thing, just didn't like the bulk.

I waited a little as I was surprised Samsung was the only tablet convertible offering 1024 pressure levels and glad I did!. Lenovo Helix looks like 'the one' for Photoshop and so on, Ill wait and see how the surface pro works out.
    ASUS TF810 Specs are not good enough for adobe suite :/

Anything else we should be looking out for??
  15. Mikachu

Mikachu Pen Pal - Newbie

I too am debating Surface Pro or Samsung Ativ Pro. I have been dying for the Surface to come out. BUT I am thinking I might get the Ativ instead. The specs are similar, but what is really pushing me towards the Ativ is dock and the pen silo. I like that it has a proper place to stick the pen rather than the magnetic holder. But I also love using my laptop on my lap. I think it's possible to use the surface on your lap, but I bet the Ativ is more comfortable and less of a balancing act.
  16. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

These are my thoughts exactly. I tried the ATIV 500T, and despite the great battery life, I just didn't like the constantly disconnecting keyboard and Atom slowdown under load. I'm not an average user, so Atom and battery life may be others cup of tea (not unusual to have a dozen documents and dozen browser tabs open at any one time). But above all, I really want the tablet experience with a usable keyboard solution when away from my desk, but BIG HONKING MONITORS, keyboard, and mouse when at home or in my office. In fact, I'm thinking about trying out one of those Shimian 2560x1440 dual link DVI monitors from the mini display port - at $350 a pop, I could be in heaven pretty quickly!
  17. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

I would HIGHLY discourage anyone from purchasing the Samsung 700T. I went through three of them trying to get a functional keyboard, and all were constantly disconnecting even while sitting still on a desk. I even sent one to Samsung to be "repaired", and after three weeks at their repair depot, they told me there was no solution for this problem and that I should "return the computer to the merchant".

If Samsung cannot fix their own tablets now, just imagine what will happen when the few working keyboards inevitably begin breaking due to the poor contacts after a few months of use. I could easily see the keyboards for the 500T and 700T all becoming paperweights once the one year warranty expires.
  18. TechlLuv

TechlLuv Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, I joined this site after discovering the forums and your post about the dock disconnect was the last I needed to read about the subject. I was getting annoyed that Microsoft has not released a firm release date yet, but just teasing with statements like available in the coming weeks. I refuse to pay 1200.00 and not have full use of the product, so I guess I'll be waiting for the Surface Pro. I really hope Microsoft gives us some news this week. Windows 8 has been on my computer for 2 weeks and I'm ready for my Windows 8 tablet.
  19. Bananeen

Bananeen Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, this is an exciting topic for me, because I have been waiting for tablets on windows 8 for more than a year already.

I believe that now there are 5 models announced (some of them are on the market):
    1. Microsoft Surface Pro
    2. Lenovo ThinkPad Helix
    3. Asus Transformer Book
    4. Samsung Ativ Smart PC Pro
    5. Acer Iconia W700

However, there already are lots of negative reviews of Samsung (see the comment of "rpo" above).
    Also Acer Iconia doesn't have active digitizer, that is a big drawback for me.

So i guess I would have to choose between the first 3 models, here are my thoughts about them

1) Surface Pro. I wonder if the 10.6 is too small in notebook mode. Also I'm not sure whether the absence of real keyboard station is a plus or a minus - on one hand it is very versatile and lightweight, on the other you won't have memory and battery life boosts.

2) Lenove ThinkPad Helix. I think I like this one the most, but it comes only at the end of February with the price tag of 1500$.

3) Asus Transformer Book. It does support the active digitizer, but doesn't have a spot for it. I don't know whether it is big drawback or not =/

Anyway I'd like to take a look on these three, so I guess I have to wait for more than a month, damn.
  20. borna761

borna761 Pen Pal - Newbie