Why isn't my slice battery charging?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jdbewl01, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jdbewl01

jdbewl01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Battery #1 is fully charged, plugged in, and it shows battery #2 as empty and not charging... What gives, and how do I fix it? TIA,

Jeremy

2. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

have you tried taking out the primary battery from the laptop, putting on the slice only and charging?

I'm assuming your PC is a 2710/30p model.

Edit:

Saw your post of an i7 CPU on the 2740p, disregard my last sentence, but see if taking off the primary and only putting in the slice on the PC works.

3. jdbewl01

jdbewl01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply; I went into the BIOS and disabled the fast charging of the secondary battery. On restart it is now charging; unfortunately I think this means somebody else will have to try your suggestion when they encounter this problem, as I fixed it before I saw your post. Thanks again!

Jeremy

4. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

no problem. I actually do this when i have to only recharge my slice battery and not my primary.

and it works of course lol.

5. gustador

gustador Pen Pal - Newbie

Just bought a 2730p and was tripping why Battery #2 (slice) was not charging when Battery #1 was at 50%. I took another look and nwt Battery #1 is at 89% and Battery #2 is charging. Is there a way to charge just the battery #2 (slice) ? I was hoping if I left the slice in the dock it would charge.

(first post, more to come while I'm learning my new 2730p :) )

6. Intricate

Intricate Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought a battery slice of ebay.
    officially for the 2710p and 2730p, but am using it for my 2740p, as I read these are interchangable.

According to batterybar it has 0% wear, but it only charges up to 24.8% and then stops charging, even when the laptop is powered off it won't charge.
    Also the indicator leds on the slice only show 2 leds out of 4 burning.

I also tried stuff from this site, but no luck.
    Plugged in, not charging Windows 7 solution : Jeffrey Palermo (.com)
    Anybody got an idea?

Another thing, is it normal that the laptop cannot be powered with only the slice battery with the primary battery removed?

7. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Intricate
    Have you tried what jdbewl01 said about the bios option?

Sadly it sounds like a dud battery to me, I got both of my slice batteries from ebay as well but they charge up to 100%, and are still both 1% worn (and I can operate my computer with just the slice battery, which further leads me to suspect the slice battery you got is bad)

I think the battery's circuitry is malfunctioning (or was deliberately set) and as a result it is reporting 0% wear when it is actually close to or over 80% wear

8. Intricate

Intricate Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried the BIOS setting, but has no effect.

Good to know that the laptop works with just the slice, another malfunction of the battery alas.

I've contacted the ebay seller for a refund, hope he will respond within 2 days.