why is the tx2000 so cheap?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Ganman, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhwung

dhwung Pen Pal - Newbie

so looking at tablets from dell, toshiba, fujitsu... why are the hp tablets so cheap? Actually the HP business line tablets are just as expensive as the other brands. What makes the tx2000 so cheap?? Is it just becuase its bulky compared to the other brands?

2. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bulky, heavier, less battery life, previous generation CPU architecture (which is actually the latest from AMD at least) with mediocre power management compared to the opposition, use of lesser materials (ie. plastic), previous generation graphics and north bridge architecture all contribute to the price differential. In all honesty, the price of the TX line is more accurate in reflecting the hardware that goes into the tablet. Despite other manufacturers having plenty of premium grade elements in their tablets, there is no denying that the level of tech in tablets trails behind regular notebooks, yet they cost more than the sum of their parts. The justification of this price differential for most users comes from the added functionality and usability of tablets, while in truth regular notebooks are an ergonomic nightmare. Mobile computing has always been difficult, but I believe that tablets are a step in the right direction. Many people on this forum will agree with me when I say that once a person is accustomed to the benefits of a tablet, using a regular notebook becomes ever so slightly more tedious, which is only a minor drawback at first but turns into a serious annoyance quite quickly. I appreciate the processing and graphics power of other truly portable (13" and below) devices, but that power is not accessible 'anywhere' and at 'any time', whereas a tablet can even be used while walking down the street.

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, from what I've seen and tried on the tx2k, I think they saved mainly on the processor, build quality and QC - it simply doesn't feel as sturdy as tablets from other manufacturers, or even their previous business tablets (tc4400).

HP may be good at making nice, bright, shiny stuff, but I'd be careful of their lower-priced products. It's nice for a casual-use tablet (e.g. touch-screen entertainment laptop with inking capability) but it wouldn't be my everyday-carry tablet.

4. jason12

jason12 Pen Pal - Newbie

It is not that cheap. It costs to build just about the same as other laptops. However it is 2x the price. The only difference is 12in screen and a touchscreen.

5. dhwung

dhwung Pen Pal - Newbie

im not comparing tablets to normal notebooks im comparing the tx2000 vs fujitsu tablet. so what i got out of this is because it is using an old processor and itis alot more bulky and heavy. does that justifythe 800 dollar difference though? and its not like the tx2000 is weak compared to other tablets..

6. lavenderpup

lavenderpup T4220 Owner

It's cheaper because its more flimsy but also more mass produced.

7. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The CPU and internals used in the TX are perfectly capable of daily tablet use. Their drawbacks are high power consumption and heat. The case/chassis of the tx is all plastic, and you will find reports of creaking on various posts. There is an obvious lack of dedicated tablet buttons such as an 'enter' or 'ok' button, or a scroll wheel. Then again, this tablet is marketed as an entertainment notebook, not a true 'tablet'.

In general though, the 600 dollar price difference between similarly specced tx2000 and, say, a Fujitsu T4220 is justified by the hardware, materials used, screen quality, weight and battery life.

8. GJBenn85

GJBenn85 Pen Pal - Newbie

The entire case of the TX2000 is not plastic, it is mostly plastic with the bottom being metal. Can't say the same for other HP notebooks, I actually think it is one of the higher quality HP portable PCs I have come across.

Excluding any discounts HP might be offering, the TX2000 and the Toshiba M700 are the same price once optioned out.

9. Speed

Speed Programmer + Tablet Lover

The TX2000 (from what I've heard) is built pretty much the same as the TX1000 but with the extra components.

The TX1000, although being mostly plastic, is extremely sturdy. Mine has been battered about a bit and is still fine - no creaking to be heard!

10. Ganman

Ganman Pen Pal - Newbie

Well when you really think about it.. there is no need for an ok or scroll wheel because the screen is a touchscreen so most stuff can be done from there. I could probably do simple things such as reading news on it and use my finger to scroll down the page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.