Why is the TF810 being ignored by everyone?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by goodintentions, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Alduin The World-Eater

Alduin The World-Eater Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm probably something in between plain business and engineering since I do software development in engineering. I'm extremely interested in this thing because
    • everlasting battery life - In case you go abroad to a customer you won't have to worry about battery for a day or two. And that's even more important when they got weird power plugs in other countries
    • The screen is pretty bright so it's going to be a lot of use outdoors and in on factory floors
    • Taking quick notes with the pen (No, not drawing grass :D) - How quick does OneNote start up? How easy is quickly taking out the thing and writing away?
    • The camera - In case I don't want to take photos of grass or myself wearing glasses and a scarf and apply some fancy Instagram filters, I'd take photos for achine installation and commissioning. How quickly can you take photos?

Regarding applications:
    Microsoft Visual Studio is most probably an overkill, but I think there are trial versions or even free Versions out there. They probably take an hour to install :rolleyes: but in case you have someone who knows how to start it up and compile some random program, I guess a lot of people would really like to know how those Clover Trails can handle this.

AutoCAD got mentioned. Again, I don't know about trial versions, but this should be as important as Photoshop for reviews.

Finally, the horror: Itunes!

2. goodintentions

goodintentions Pen Pal - Newbie

How about using something like .net to compile something basic, like hello world or an infinite loop.

3. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

OneNote tests we already cover, along with Windows Journal (for writing and handwriting recog, not drawing). Camera we cover. If it's particularly good we spend more time with the camera (sadly rare). With average cameras we don't cover much in our video review. If the manufacturer provides something significantly useful than the sadly basic Windows 8 camera app we cover that.

You're right, Visual Studio takes an eternity to install. All Win 7 program installs take unexpected long on Win 8 Atom tablets, but something like VS is absurdly long. I've done it with the Envy x2 and Acer W510 (same OS and internals), and I find it slow when compiling fairly small VB apps like a 6 note guitar tuner. For my applications (mine are under 10,000 lines of code with moderate resources) it's usable. For serious apps with 50k to millions of lines of code? I wouldn't choose Atom.

There is a 30 day trial of AutoCAD, but given the CPU and GPU requirements for 3D modeling vs. Atom... it really doesn't look promising at all. I've heard from readers who aren't pleased with performance on Core i5 Ultrabooks, can't imagine Atom. But to be completely honest, I'd probably skip that one for reviews because I have zero facility in AutoCAD.

iTunes? It's usable on most everything for media playback, including Windows 8 Atom. Ripping media? Not a good choice since it takes about 5 to 9x longer on Atom vs. a Core i5. Apple makes it hard to actually show libraries with real account content because of the limited number of authorizations and deauths allowed each year.

4. Alduin The World-Eater

Alduin The World-Eater Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for your experience with Visual Studio.

Regarding iTunes: It surely is a bad choice if you just want to fire up an mp3 or two. And ripping CDs and DVDs certainly makes even less sense since those things don't have an optical drive :D
    If you want to have music running in the background for an hour, manage an iDevice or getting Podcasts - That's pretty much what I had in mind. Even iTunes 11 still doesn't run smooth on a desktop PC, but I honestly wouldn't want to abandon it. I wouldn't underestimate how many people use it...

5. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

The Windows port of iTunes is horrible, horrible software. Always has been. I remember back in the early versions when it installed MusicMatch Jukebox alongside it so it could burn CD's.

I've never understood why a glorified spreadsheet requires 1GB of RAM to play songs.

6. goodintentions

Regarding music, isn't that what your smartphone is for?

Regarding something like autocad, again I can't see myself working for hours on a 11-12 inch screen with that. I know of no person who wants to work for an extended period of time on a 11-12" screen.

So, I don't even think it's fair to test something like autocad.

A more realistic test of an atom tablet for engineers is something like excel or hy-8 where we just use to run quick calculations on site. I'm not entirely sure why we're even discussing about these things.

Regarding visual studio, again, isn't it a little unrealistic to think anyone would work for an extended amount of time coding with a 11-12" screen?

When I brought up autocad and microstation before, I simply wanted to convey that this tablet is just enough to run those programs. 3-D modeling is out of the question, because it would be too slow. That's a given. That's why when we input data from the survey, we always use the desktop in the office. Who wants to those large computations using a 11-12" screen?

The point is for practical purposes this tablet works fine. I don't know why people insist on using an 11-12" screen for extended period of intensive tasks. That's what my i7 8gb ram 24" ultra-HD monitor desktop is for.

Both my brother and I are engineers. Anyone field engineer will tell you we have to carry around very large manuals. And I'm talking about 2000page long manuals. We also have to carry around regulations from the local department of transportation and the USEPA for quick references.

This is why ever since I introduced my brother to the tablet a couple years ago, his tablet and him have been inseparable. Instead of carrying around these manuals like we used to do, he'd have pdf versions of them and could bring them up immediately for quick references.

And I'm noticing more and more guys carry around their tablets rather than those large manuals.

Another thing that field engineers do is sometimes we have to make a quick drive to various sites to inspect and quickly draft out a short report and send them back to clients, headquarters, or whoever else that wants to know. Years ago we used to jot down notes and drive back to the nearest office and send out the reports. Nowadays, I just type it up in the car and send it and go on to the next thing.

Those are more realistic applications of something like the atom tablet laptop hybrid, not compiling millions of lines of codes or do fancy 3-D modeling.

You guys know the difference between engineer and architect? Architects like to come up with fancy ways to do things. Engineers just want to be practical and get it done.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, it's a matter of opinion, but I run my entire landscape design business off my 12.1" x200t. I'm not using AutoCad, but I use Sketchup Pro and Sketchup Layout and various graphic art programs. I find the screen size more than adequate.

I mean, hey, it's all a matter of opinion, so your opinion is valid too of course, but it's not like a person can't run AutoCad off their tablet pc. I love being able to take down info in the field and immediately input it into a model right then and there. Go home to my office, and I've already got an accurate digital base map laid out. So, actually, yes-- I think a person can run these programs perfectly fine on a small screen.

I actually think it's a totally legit question to ask, and a perfectly reasonable thing to want to do on your tablet pc. The real issue to me is that a lot of stuff really isn't pen or touch focused. Still, you can get a long way.

Now, an Atom processor might not be able to handle the work load computationally-- that's a legit critique-- but I don't find any issue with the screen size. I also have to say that, as an independent business owner, I simply don't have the funds to buy a 1000$ portable machine and then spend 1000$ on my desktop. I simply don't have the money. Might be nice though...... ;)

My point is simply that people sometimes need to get their devices to function in all sorts of interesting, unanticipated, and yet functional ways. Sometimes that's based on the constraints of time and money.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  8. goodintentions

Then you would love the upcoming transformer book series. They have an i5 and an i7 model.

9. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

I am a little late too this thread, but in answer to the OPs question about lack of attention, I can give my opinion. I was very interested in the TF810C because of the specs and because of my very good experience with a TF101. But, I didn't buy one. I remain very concerned about why Asus hasn't officially released this item and why it doesn't appear as an Asus product on their web site and why there is virtually no support. And the fact that there is a long thread about how to use drivers from HP and Lenovo to solve problems is another major concern. Last, I had a two week trial of an HP Envy X2 with the Clover Trail processor. I found it to be slow on common things such as web browsing and Email. So, I had made a decision to wait for either the Bay Trail which is supposed to have twice the performance of the Clover Trail or maybe an i3 Haswell which is supposed to have longer battery life. Then I started looking at Fujitsu's Q702 when the Win7 version was offered on NewEgg at a steep discount. The more I looked, the more I liked. I ended up getting an i3-3217u Win 7 version with KB/Dock which I upgraded to Win 8 Pro-64 bit. The 79 Wh combined battery capacity is giving me 7-8 hours of life, more than enough for my use pattern. And I don't have to wait a year for Bay Trail or Haswell.

Regards, Jim

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

As before, as I said in previous post-- it wasn't your assessment of the Atom's processing power I took issue with. It was your comment that no one in their right mind would want to work on a 12" screen all the time.