Why is the TF810 being ignored by everyone?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by goodintentions, Mar 6, 2013.

1. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, for those of you who are asking, we'll have a video review first, followed by a full written review on MTR (I'm almost caught up on our backlog of written reviews- yay!). We'll probably shoot the video review today, which means it will be up on our site tomorrow. I have both the tablet and the keyboard dock in for review.

My HP Envy x2 has been growling at the Asus TF810 for days ;) And for those who are wondering, I've had the Atmel pen for the Envy x2 on order with HP business for nearly a month and it keeps getting delayed. Talk about vaporware!

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I had the surface for a month and loved it. It's not just the I5 power, but the USB 3.0, the mSata SSD and HD4000 graphics. Because of HP's lack of W8 support for our stand-alone and network printers, however, I could not replace my Thinkpad X301 with the Surface. If I could have, I would have run the Surface through a larger monitor and full keyboard while at work and used it au natural with the touch keyboard while out of the office.

Given that the Surface can't replace my main notebook ATM (at least until HP releases drivers for our printers), I thought I would see if a Clover Trail Atom would suffice for my purposes. For me, however, an 11.6" unit is too big. I prefer a 10" tablet. The TP2T and Dell Lat10 look interesting. I'm considering trying one of them out for 30 days, before heading down to the MS Store to replace my Surface. Maybe after 30 days with the Atom, I'll be able to agree with you about the power or give you a more educated list of the programs that need more power than the lowely Clover Trail can muster.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My only gripe with Atom is the performance. And I would never even pair Atom with "low battery life"

I played around with the Smart PC at Best Buy, but I have yet to purchase a clover-trail slate yet.

I use Photoshop nearly exclusively on my S7S, and its Core i5 runs photoshop very well. Only drawback is the battery life of 2-3 hours. I'd really just love a Slate Tablet that can run photoshop CS5 at full performance/brightness for 4-5 hours. And even though 5 hours is the expected battery life of most of these i5 slates...running Photoshop at full screen brightness and constant pen use.....its really gonna be 2-3 hours.

Shogmaster put up a video a bit back showing Photoshop running on the ATIV Smart PC....and the performance for drawing/art looked abysmal. Yeah it can run photoshop, but it won't run it well enough to use.

And while the 15+ hours of battery life is nice...I can't see myself every actually using that, with the exception of a flight to Australia or Singapore....or an extended power outage.....really having the device last 4-6 hours for a Figure Drawing/life drawing class is all I really need. And given how great the battery life already is on a atom platform....I just find it odd that they chose to put a battery in the keyboard for an atom slate. A keyboard battery would make alot more sense on Ivy Trail slates like the Smart PC Pro. But bumping a 9-hour battery life to 15 just seems needlessly excessive.

If you don't mind though...I am very curious to see how Corel Painter and Paint Tool Sai run on the TF810. Every-time I requested someone to try those programs on the clovertrail platform its almost always ignored, and while there are plenty of videos of those programs running on the Smart PC Pro...I can't find anyone running them on a clovertrail slate. How well those 2 programs run on clovertrail will really make or break my purchasing decision.

4. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

darkmagistric, the lack of pressure sensitivity (due to WinTab) in Corel Painter kills the fun for me on Clovertrail Atoms.

5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Bronsky,
    Your critique is exactly why Bay Trail is going to be so exciting. It looks to be a true tetonic shift for Atom cpus, rather than the more typical incremental improvements of the last few iCore gens, and I think the performance difference will be vast compared to Clover Trail (probably like the shift from single to dual core laptops). How's the litany of upgrades go?

-out of order execution
    -quad core versus duo (although, is this for tablets too? I think it is, because they say it should benchmark about twice as fast as the current gen)
    -msata compatability
    -4+ gb of ram possible
    -HD4000 graphics (or so I've read)
    -8-10 hours of battery life for a 1.25-1.5 lb, .3" thick device

That's a tremendous list of improvements, and if they get even half of it right iCore's will become (IMO) the realm of only those Pro's who really need a "performance" machine. Considering what your needs are, I think the performance of an older Core2duo would fit your needs, if only it were in a small slate. Given that, and what Bay Trail is intended to deliver, I think your performance needs are going to get met soon enough.

Darkmagistric,
    Given your past posts, I'm positive that Atom's probably will never meet your power needs. !! LOL!!

However, I think 15 hours is spectacular for a mobile sketch artist, because what 15 hours really means is you could use it at Full Performance for probably 8 total. Do 4-5 hours, dock it, recharge it on the go, use it again for 4-5 hours.

What we're all waiting for is a Wacom driver. Once that comes along (and it's in the beta stages, and has been for over a month), then I think this really will be a fantastic mobile sketching machine, because programs like Sai and PS will be available. Still, SBP, Artrage, and Mangastudio 5 all work out of the box with pressure sensitivity. I know you don't use those programs personally, but that's a pretty good range of options for others. Since the original question was "Why wasn't this selling better in general?" I think that relates.

6. Steve B

As for the video Shog did, I felt that it was very informative but clearly waited to demonstrate the lacking qualities of an Atom or the Note 10.1". I mean, of course those two are not going to perform as well as an iCore. The real question to me is not the negative of "they can't smoothly do this or that with a 500 pixel brush on a 5000 x 5000 canvas with 20 layers", but rather "what can they do smoothly and effectively?". I want to know what usage patterns they achieve successfully.

I think that video would have been more helpful if he had shown us at what level the 500T performed up to his expectations. Thus, IMO, smaller brushes and a smaller canvas would have probably led to a better rate of success. The Atoms are clearly not a "no compromises" type of cpu, so the real question is "What kind of compromise is necessary to get these to perform well?"

Re: driver availability--
    I agree that this is also probably a reason it's not selling. The whole release of ALL the Atom and iCore slates has basically felt pretty underbaked.

7. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

I think everyone agrees that the Asus Vivo Tab TF810C is the best or on par with the bunch of Atom convertibles. Looks, build quality, screen brightness, battery life. Speakers perhaps are not the best, but actually very satisfactory for me, really!

What is not in doubt, is that this should not be compared to iCore tablets. The reason they have made iCore is for the extra power sacrificing battery life. You need that thing for intensive work. Yes the Vivo Tab can run most things, but certainly there is lag sometimes and the iCore will run it faster. It's a compromise.

Size, Weight, Batter life!

I'd like to present my user case and with these uses in mind, this is the best device on the market!

1) Media - I like my tv shows at least at 720p. This thing has no issue playing a 1080p ripped blu-ray while I'm flicking between my email and internet browser.
    2) I like my real office applications - got MS Office 2013 on this, works like a charm and with the keyboard dock I can really get to work. (I would say the mouse pad is crap, though I've never liked them)
    3) Battery life, lasts me 2 maybe 3 days on standby and general evening use no issues.
    4) Adobe Dreamweaver - I have a couple of websites which I need to monitor and edit the off html/php file - does't break a sweat
    5) Adobe Photoshop Elements - again for the website, basic photo editing like resizing, touch ups, creating some simple graphics. No slow down here.
    6) Adobe Acrobat - for my business I am in the process of creating forms which I can get the client to complete in pdf or complete infront of them with my tablet and pen. How cool will that look!
    7) OneNote - so long paper notebooks. I will get past the learning curve and be taking notes like a champ in no time!
    8) Music, stored, streamed and played with no issues. The speakers are loud enough for me, but no base. That reminds me to try out some headphones!
    9) Remote Desktop - so sweet! Full screen, connects quickly and full control. I'm loving it!
    10) Apps - having a few issues with Windows 8 apps, but got TV catchhup, demand 5, 4oD, iPlayer coming soon and TuneIn Radio

What more do I need?

A few limitations, but those are down to Windows 8 - e.g syncing google calendar and no pop 3 email in Email app.

8. Steve B

For some of us, we use tablet pc's for mobile digital art. This is where the limitations of the Atom processor become clearer, as you have to begin to modify your normal (desktop) workflow and redefine "what's possible" when working on a mobile Atom device such as this. I also think the driver issues are a very legit gripe.

Still, I think this thing is dreamy. If I had the dough, I'd probably get one.

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

wait a sec..are you trying to say that all the Clovertrail Atoms won't accept Wacoms Wintab Driver?

I was under the impression that only the Thinkpad Tablet 2 suffered this.

10. Steve B

My understanding is that the 500T/700T are the only two new Win8 devices that have functioning pressure sensitivity in PS, Painter, and Sai. Nothing else does, although I've heard some people have t902's working in Win8 with pressure sensitivity, just that it's a bit buggy. It works fine in Win7 though. Sadly, my understanding is that there are no functioning drivers in Win7 for these Atom devices, so you can't downgrade anyways.

But in a nutshell- NO, none of them work in PS in Win8, iCore or Atoms.