Why is the TF810 being ignored by everyone?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by goodintentions, Mar 6, 2013.

1. goodintentions

goodintentions Pen Pal - Newbie

It just seems to me like the press and everyone else is ignoring this tablet. Don't know why. Been using it for weeks and to me it's the perfect work and fun tablet/laptop hybrid.

I can very comfortably type reports on this thing. I can open up pdf documents for quick references. I'm an engineer, so I've tested several resource intensive programs like autocad, microstation, and photoshop on this thing and everything runs very smoothly. I've even opened all of them at the same time and they all run, amazingly enough.

The best thing about the tf810 is I can go through the whole day without having to worry about finding an outlet to plug this thing in.

But it seems to me that everyone is ignoring this very fine machine. Even asus tech support didn't know the tf810 existed when I called them a few weeks ago. They kept trying to tell me what I had was the tf600 vivotab rt.

Like I said, I'm an engineer, so this machine is perfect for what I do. I'm convinced that given a chance other professionals will get to like this machine as much as I have. But you can't even find the tf810 in Microsoft stores anymore.

Any idea why people are ignoring the tf810?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Not sure, specs look great, light, thin. Minor drawbacks, no silo on slate, and a bit more expensive than the competitors (still?). And there's that scary thread where people say their units die, but I don't think that is causing the lack of attention. I guess Samsung was 'first', so they automatically got more interest because of that initially.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The lack of a USB Port on the 810 kind of kills it for me. Even though the keyboard has one..I'd rather have one on the slate.

Also the high $800 price for basically an atom tablet is perhaps its biggest deterrent. For just a little more you could spring for a Surface Pro or Smart PC Pro.

All of these Clovertrail slates would probably sell alot better if they were $500 or less.

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, for 800$, you also get potentially 16 hours battery life and a 600 nit screen, along with your Wacom pen, good build quality, and full Windows 8 functionality. That's nothing to sneeze at.

5. Lord Augastus

Lord Augastus Pen Pal - Newbie

As a student, engineering: I am getting a lot in regards to the tablet and what it is. Lack of advertising and any sort of formal re,ease kills its popularity. Essentially vs an Ipad its $600 which is $400 difference. With that you get full windows, more then enough battery, a digitizer, and a good quality screen with expandable memory. Thats including extra battery in dock. Essentially on portrait mode you get a close enough screen size to ipad with a full keyboard at the bottom. For 1000 yes it is expensive but compared to what you get vs what is offered out there in the market. It is the right price.

6. wubbzy

wubbzy Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the main factor is that the media tends to focus on the more mainstream consumer devices, and the market is relatively small for devices such as the TF810, which is more of a specialty item for those of us who like to actually use our devices to get something done. I'm just thankful that Asus is making devices like this when the volume is probably relatively low compared to their other tablets. Like the EP121, it looks like the people who would use this device tend to be mostly students, artists, lawyers, and onenote fans.

7. Alduin The World-Eater

Alduin The World-Eater Pen Pal - Newbie

I honestly have no clue either.

I fully blame Asus. They never really announced or offically launched the thing, and after months, it's still nearly impossible to get. The Vivo Tab Smart has a lot of reviews and you can actually buy it. You can't even get an official statement if it's already discontinued or not.

It totally looks like Asus not being able to have enough units manufactured and instead, they (and the Media) focus on other products.

8. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a theory

1) They manufactured loads of TF810Cs (As there must be a minimum number for it to be worthwhile putting into production. Globally from reading threads we have not seen anywhere near that number
    2) They also manufactured loads of TF600s - Windows RT has turned out to be a dog compared to what MS predicted it would be. You just have to see Surface RT sales and complaints. Asus needs to get rid of RT stock and knows people won't buy it if the T810 is widely available. I think they did the same thing last year with Transformer.
    3) MS leaning on Asus to hold back on full Win 8 tablets and market the RT
    4) Intel atom problems with drivers. I for one have had minmum issues. Works like a dream, I'm so glad I went for this and not the samsung ATiv Smart PC Pro as it does everything. You have to wait a little at times, but with all that battery life who cares!

Take your pick

I'm not an engineer, architect, artist or lawyer and had never used one-note before.

I am starting a web design company, and have a couple of websites myself and I feel this device is the perfect thing to take in tablet form to client meetings to show my package prices, sample images and sites. Even get them to sign the contract on screen!

I have also started using OneNote and I like it, although it will take some getting used to.

9. goodintentions

goodintentions Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you actually used one of these things? I've been able to run autocad, microstation, PhotoShop, and ms excel at the same time.

Atom slates have a bad rep because people like yourself tend to think of atom slates as those low red, low powered, low battery life, overworked, cheap plastic netbooks.

Trust me, I had my reservations too.

But for an hd screen, brush aluminum, 15+ hr battery life, high powered tablet laptop hybrid, it is well worth 850 for the combo.

The programs I mentioned above are resource hogs, and I was able to run them together. Says a lot about how this machine can perform.

The most optimistic number for i5 and i7 slates is 5 hr battery life. One of my colleagues is an old architect who just bought a super expensive i7 machine. It's funny to watch him constantly looking for an outlet throughout the day.

10. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with these reasons.

While I'm writing this I'm thinking that something similar happened with the ep121 and the Samsung Slate 7, they were both fantastic slates, or perhaps thats what's the problem, that Asus and other vendors don't consider them, or are afraid to consider them as, tablets; that is, the majority of the people that knows little about computers has the iPads in mind when they think about tablets; what I mean is that perhaps manufacturers of tabletpcs like the tf810c prefer to keep them out of the media and publicy better the devices that they find people will find easier to use, like the RT devices, because if the general public start buying tablets like ours that have made a little bit of compromise between ease of use and productivity, they will still find the iPads are easier to use for the most basic things.

I'm just guessing, maybe I'm completely wrong in this, it's just an hypothesis, and sorry for my english :p