Why I'm ultimately disappointed in my AVN8 and why it isn't Asus fault

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Kumabjorn, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

A while ago I bought a Surface Pro 2. Very nice machine, versatile, build quality, responsive etc. But it was just too heavy to use for any longer stretch of time as a tablet. Then Asus released their penabled Vivo Tab Note 8 and I jumped at the opportunity. I've had it for a few weeks now and unfortunately I come away disappointed, but I've also come to realize that this isn't Asus' fault, if anyone is to blame it is me, and perhaps Adobe. Allow me to explain.

There is one reason more than any else I went after these devices. I write a lot and that entails a fair amount of research before putting fingers to keyboard. So I scan books and annotate them in Adobe Reader. For a long time I did this on Android versions, either in Galaxy Note 8 or Note 10.1, very functional and straight forward. Then I discovered that the Windows version of Reader XI had a feature called "add note to selected text" this puts a hidden note, with hardly a noticeable icon in addition to highlighting the selected text. When you hover the mouse (or pen) over it the note displays automatically. Now this is what I wanted access to in a portable package. Hence the Surface Pro 2 and the Vivo Tab Note 8.

Unfortunately I didn't take the time to research the whole thing promptly before making my purchases. Turns out that the Desktop version of Adobe Reader XI doesn't play nice with stylus input and control. Selections "slide away", trying to select text turns into right clicks (and yes, I have experimented with settings in Control Panel), pen annotations are ugly and the text turns blotty (it should look like it does in OneNote). Now, the reason the devices aren't going back is that they are still useful, portable and simply fun to use, but the one productivity field I had high expectations for was never fulfilled. And don't get me started on the Modern version of Adobe Reader, this isn't even in Beta yet. So here is hoping that Reader XII will play more nicely with my pens.

2. Waru

Waru 「ホログラム&#

I think this issue is more concerned with the software side of things, no?

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

4. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I use PDF Annotator and BlueBeam Revu for marking up pdf files.
    I am sure you have used these programs. The Wacom pen works nicely.

OneNote seemed to generate HUGE pdf files.
    Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Agree, Acrobat Reader is a hog and not very good.

5. Kumabjorn

Absolutely, hence the title. I love the device, I'm just disappointed that it doesn't work better with Adobe Reader XI.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  6. Kumabjorn

7. ananimus

ananimus Pen Pal - Newbie

The built in Metro app Reader lets you make hidden notes or scribble. And other stuff. After you highlight some text then tap there's an Add Note option.

Actually, I'm pretty impressed with MS Reader, though haven't checked file bloat yet.

8. Kumabjorn

Can't select with the pen without first deciding action. Highlight is restricted to yellow.

9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I can say that the drawboard app has significantly improved over the past few months.

10. Kumabjorn

Yes, it has, and I'm sure it will reach it's potential in due time but it isn't there yet.