Why HP Envy 8 Note is receiving so little attention?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Yongtao, Dec 25, 2015.

1. hdfan23

hdfan23 Pen Pal - Newbie

This is the black and silver version which they finally got right. I think it's at least the 3rd version, maybe they changed the color so there's no confusion. The first couple versions were horrible, inaccurate, poor battery life, pretty much usesless. I put this latest one up there with the top styluses although not as good as the latest Surface one but reasonable good. http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Active-S...01829&sr=1-1&keywords=dell+venue+8+pro+stylus

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

In my experience, many of these fourth revision pens still have issues with leaky ink, battery life, and pressure sensitivity. I saw a video online claiming that Dell finally fixed the Synaptics pen that I had to wrestle with on my retired Venue 8 Pro. Thinking that Dell finally got their act together, I bought a Venue 11 Pro 7140 to use these so-called fixed pens on. I was in for a rude awakening, as I had the exact same issues with these as the old black ones, so beware. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. When the latest silver and black model of pen did work, it still was immediately and noticeably inferior in hover accuracy and overall smoothness to the Wacom EMR and N-trig pens I have used. Avoid Synaptics like the plague.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  3. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe some guys will think it is okay with those problem and think avoiding Synaptics like plague is a joke. I may add Atmel to that as well.

Driver support for those guys are pretty much pale compared to n-trig and wacom. Wacom have been the standard for creative industries so their driver support is top notch which is one of the reasons using their technology in the first place. So far if you're into a superb digital pen experience, top three are ntrig, wacom, and apple. Although they are still not life like pen/pencil experience but apart from those tech, you pretty much get unique, in a bad way, stuffs.

TLDR; Safe your money if you're looking for tablet with pen support by using market tested tech

4. Yongtao

Yongtao Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm also using both Surface 3 and Envy 8 Note, most of the time i just standby the device and it hibernates after 30min, I feel the boot up time comparable to Surface 3, fast in general. The black screen before HP logo was like around 3 seconds.

But I did experience several times that the Envy 8 Note was not responding to power button (a cold boot right after shutting down the device), and it could hang like 10s in the blank screen. Is it happening to you every time?

5. Yongtao

Yongtao Pen Pal - Newbie

Makes sense, good that i switched to no bumper/cover mode for most of my devices already :) $244 is indeed very good deal though...

6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

What? How? I am selling off my Venue 11 Pro and Winbook TW 802 and then I will be looking for a secondary/back-up device. At that low of a price, I would very likely consider buying the HP.

7. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

I suspect that's why the new Dell Venue Pro 8's are Wacom digitizers.

8. hdfan23

hdfan23 Pen Pal - Newbie

This was over the holidays, open box + 25% at buydig.com. They have it regularly priced at $329 no tax, free shipping. I think the price I paid was right, not worth over $300. Still need to iron out slow boot and 32GB not great.

9. hdfan23

hdfan23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep pretty much, Surface 3 boots ok, Dell VP8 boots in seconds. Wished all devices booted as fast as my Dell.

10. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

The price is too high. Nobody is going to pay €400 for a tablet like that.