Why HP Envy 8 Note is receiving so little attention?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Yongtao, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

I won't speak to the aesthetics, other than to ask where did HP find a focus group to say they wanted an 8 inch screen, but a full sized keyboard to carry in one package. Geez.

Amen on the pen.

2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You will find my experience in the AVN8 threads.
    But yes, I use a usb2hdmi device.
    And AVN8 is enough for 99 % of my needs. In fact 100%, because I finally do not need the 1% remaining.
    what I would like:
    4gb memory would be better.
    128 gb disk also.
    A better processor but only if not compromising battery life
    A better pen on edges, but only if not compromising : silo, no battery, accuracy, fluidity
    a fast charging usb port
    a second usb port or a hdmi port
    a light compromise on price, I remind you that the AVN8 was at 300. I could accept 450 if I have all my needs.

The technology is here, we are waiting someone will do it.

3. Bishop

With the Surface 3 4GB/128G now at $499, and the new Dell Venue 8 Pro 5855 4GB/64GB coming in around your $450 point, and HP Envy 8 Note 2GB/32GB at $300-350, there is an interesting price bracket.

4. Yongtao

Yongtao Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the response. Since I'm using a 64G AVN8 too, and I noticed there're so many discussions about it. I also ran into the screen cable failure and had to tear it apart and get it fixed.

Indeed if you're oK with the size surface 3 is meeting all the aspects (need to add the dock for fast charging).

5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Neither one or the other has a pen, with no battery and with a silo.
    And the surface is not 8 inch.
    I could even pay 600 $

6. hdfan23

hdfan23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Picked one up at buydig, open box and 25% off for $244. Decent performance, nice display, pen is responsive, bout same level as Dell Venue 8 pen, the silver and black version. A bit of bloatware that needs to be removed. Built in note app not that impressive, better off using OneNote. Worth the discounted cost but not full price.

7. Bishop

Curious: Which Dell Venue 8 Pro pen do you mean?

8. Yongtao

Yongtao Pen Pal - Newbie

I never tried Dell Venue 8, but E8N pen works better for me than AVN8 for sure....

9. hdfan23

hdfan23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Also as far as why the Envy 8 is not getting much press, seems like none of the HP tablets ever get much press and are typically under the radar. HP doesn't seem to do a good job of promoting their stuff, they just release a product and kind of hope it gets the word out by itself. The Envy 8 is still listed as coming soon on their website. And 3rd party accessories are always tough to find, for instance a decent case for the Envy Note 8. Found one on Amazon, works ok but it's not one specifically made for the Envy 8, such as no cutout for the camera and it's a bit bulky, it's more of a universal 8" case that works just ok for the Envy 8. Dell on the other hand as soon as they release a device gets plenty press and lots of 3rd party support. You can always get a low cost case and plenty options that work just fine. Only reason I picked one up because it's a good deal for $244 and was for my Dad who likes Windows products and just needs an effective note taking tool, and nothing too fancy so this meets those requirements.

10. hdfan23

hdfan23 Pen Pal - Newbie

One thing that's a little annoying with this device is it's boot up time is pretty slow. It'll hang at a blank screen although the backlight lights up, before the HP logo appears. I have a Surface 3 which I feel also has a somewhat slow boot but it boots up at least 20 seconds before the Envy. Hopefully some BIOS upgrade addresses this.