Why HP Envy 8 Note is receiving so little attention?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Yongtao, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Yongtao

Yongtao Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a big fan of 8 inch productivity tablet with active stylus input. My first ever tablet was TC1100, and along the way I have tried Thinkpad X41t, galaxy note 10.1 2014, Asus vivotab note 8 and Surface 3.

I do like a 8inch form factor that I could easily write on, so Asus vivotab note 8 was the one I used the most. However there're several things I don't like about it:

1. It feels a very cheap device to hold in hand. And it's simply too thick.
    2. The stylus input is not working around the edge, and close to back camera area.
    3. Screen resolution is too low.
    4. No cellular connection option.
    5. Bluetooth not working simultaneously with streaming over internet.

I have been waiting for a better device. I saw HP Envy 8 Note when browsing at Microsoft store product listing. It looks promising and fixed several things that I dislike about Vivotab Note 8. I didn't see much information about this device - No youtube reviews at all, no much discussions even in this forum. The One Month Review posted by Bishop here was the only useful piece of information I could find.

Then when I look into Asus vivotab note 8 discussion threads, there are so many of them...

Any insights why this product is receiving so little attention, even among the tablet PC users?

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

HP only offering it with 2GB/32GB eMMC is the primary deterrent that kept my interest subsided.

Had they offered it with a 4GB of Ram and either 64GB or 128GB eMMC Configurations, I would have very much considered it.

Their use of the x5 Atom instead of the slightly more powerful x7 Atom, and coupled with a mediocre battery life didn't help.

Also....more to my specific need cases, the use of Wacom Active ES instead of EMR used in the Asus Note gives me pause since I lose the Back-end Eraser, interchangable nibs, and the 2-programable side switch buttons I get when using my Axiotron Stylus with the Asus Note.

3. Lizard_labs

Lizard_labs Pen Pal - Newbie

Having a 4 AH (15.2 Watt Hour) battery is a serious detractor for me, from an otherwise well featured device. The 32/2 GB storage is another. It is more reasonably priced than the HP Pro Tablet 608 G1.

4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am waiting :
    4 gb
    pen with silo
    4:3 screen
    to replace my two avn8

You can solve you wifi and bluetooth is sure by using 5GHz wifi.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Also, it is not really available in large scale discount electronic stores, and if HP don't offer it on their web store in your country it becomes a major hassle to get one. Not to mention the lack of support, warranty and repair. Let's face it, 8"devices hasn't been the most stable.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

6. Yongtao

Yongtao Pen Pal - Newbie

It makes sense. I don't mind paying a bit more and get a properly featured device. I guess I'm only looking at the good side given the fact that I have multiple devices. I'm using Envy 8 Note exclusively as a note book, it might not even fully replace my Asus vivo tab note 8 (still on windows 8.1).

@darkmagistric: The AES did come with two side buttoms and the same wacom utility could be used to config it. I was surprised it was not EMR and only found this out after receiving the device.

@thierryb: agree with you. A ipad mini form factor screen and stylus implementation matching that of galaxy note 3/10.1 2014 would be great. Chinese manufacture Xiaomi made a xiaomi tablet two with good form factor and spec, unfortunately there's no active stylus support.

@Kumabjorn: I don't know what's wrong with HP. If it's not an important product why bother spending efforts designing one. I get to know this device exists by accident, and happen to have Microsoft store close by to try one out.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    WillAdams likes this.
  7. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Funny enough I just saw this today at an MS store for the first time. I was impressed with the build quality and feel of it, but not so impressed with the huge bezels, although in all fairness this is all 8" tablets out there. Anyway it was onsale for $299 and I was ready to pick one up when I saw it only had 32gb hard drive space. What a completely moronic move, it's just unfathomable how stupid that is. I opened up windows explorer and it had 13gb free!!!! 13gb out of 32. Even 64gb is too little these days, but for a budget tablet is acceptable. But how can anyone justify 32gb?!?!? Shame because it was a very nice tablet.

WillAdams and Kumabjorn like this.
  8. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

It's similar to the Dell Venue 8 Pro that I have. I stopped using that one, not because of the storage and memory, but because the stylus was unreliable (I frequently had to unscrew the cap to break the battery connection in order to get connectivity with the tablet). So, I don't mind the memory so much. I'm trying the E8N now. I really like the stylus. The performance should be better than the V8P, but I'd like more. The memory is a downer. The HP 608 G1 comes in a 2/32GB model, which is more expensive and doesn't have a cell modem. To get a good amount of memory, the 608 G1 is quite a bit more expensive. So, it's a tough choice for me.

9. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with you; a big part of this has been nobody can see or touch this thing in the real world. It might help if Microsoft put the device in its physical stores as well as the online catalog.

Given the trade-offs HP chose on memory and battery, I'm not sure anyone will go to this device as their one and only. It works for me as an intentionally part-time device.

Pen silo and device thinness can only co-exist in a AVN8 or Samsung S-Pen size solution which means a stick pen not a full sized pen.

What would be interesting is a Windows 10 tablet in the 8-10" screen size on the same frame as the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 or 9.7 (easily a 10 hour battery life). One can hope.

hiramkey and WillAdams like this.
  10. Yongtao

Yongtao Pen Pal - Newbie

Also 608G1 is not coming with stylus. E8N design is more like a surface mini to me....

I still have no idea whether the E8N cell modem working with other carriers outside of US though.....

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015