Why doesn't this RAM work in my TM2?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Person264, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Person264

Person264 Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought a 2x4GB set of PC3-10600 1333MHz RAM for my TM2, thinking it should work because the RAM currently in my laptop is PC3-10600 1333MHz. When I installed the sticks and booted up, windows would not boot and would freeze a couple of seconds into loading, and memtest crashed too. It isn't the sticks, because I tested them in a different laptop and they worked fine.

Is there a special requirement for ram in a tm2? Second gen 2190-sa with Pentium u5400 and switchable graphics

2. Zenquin

Zenquin Pen Pal - Newbie

You are certain it worked fine in another laptop? Test both sets of RAM in bot laptops. Also, try cleaning out the computer with some compressed air or a duster like this. I have had problems before with dust getting into the RAM slots. Also, closely examine the "pins" on your RAM, those connections can get worn away leading to intermittent functionality.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Person264

Person264 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup, it worked fine in my friends laptop. It turns out that the ram was in fact incompatible with my laptop, after speaking to the manufacturers (Patriot) and I was able to get a replacement set of compatible ram. I'll try and find out the model numbers of the ram that worked.

EDIT: incompatible RAM PSD38G1333SK

compatible RAM PSD34G13332S

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  4. Jenny_

Jenny_ Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm wondering about RAM myself. I recently ordered RAM directly from HP so I could upgrade. I had 6GB in there, and didn't have any trouble with the first 4GB upgrade HP had sent me. That one was made in Korea. This recent one was made in China. It won't work. Updated BIOS and everything.

I tried it on another one of my tm2 notebooks and it won't work in that one either, but my previously ordered Korean 4GB one works without problem.

Both of these parts were ordered directly from HP and are supposed to be official parts for this specific machine. Not sure why the Chinese one won't work.... but wondering if it was faulty to start with.

Gonna call HP back and get it covered under warranty and hope they send me a replacement that works.

5. Araelll

Araelll Pen Pal - Newbie

I had problem when upgrading to a 8gb ddr3 ram set with high density - exacly the same problem... "installed the sticks and booted up, windows would not boot and would freeze a couple of seconds into loading, and memtest crashed too"... no problem when I changed to low density ddr3 ram

Maybe High density ram is not compatible with TM2

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/us...-watch-for-high-and-low-density-requirements/

http://www.ebay.com/gds/High-or-Low-density-Does-it-matter-/10000000002086216/g.html