Why does vista take sooooo long to boot?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Cadaeic, Aug 7, 2008.

1. seeking2

seeking2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have both 32 bit and 64 bit....64 bit on my 2500.....both take a very long time to boot.....does anyone have any tips to speed up booting time. (if this was asked before, I am sorry)

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

clean install, more memory, remove all the start up programs you don't use.....
    and faster hard drive or ssd.

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

There's a Vista optimization thread on our sister site, www.notebookreview.com. Following most of those tips allows me to boot in about half a minute and get over 9 hours of battery life. I used to get over 12 hours of battery life, but my batteries are starting to show their age. If that's not enough for you, upgrade to a 7200 rpm drive or SSD.

4. number2jcb

number2jcb Pen Pal - Newbie

Define long. Clock from start to finish. Have you changed any bios settings? Are you counting loading after login, or just to get to the login screen?

5. BerkleyJ

BerkleyJ Pen Pal - Newbie

It's actually not Vista it's the stupid startup programs. Vista actually boots and shutdowns faster than XP for the most part. When you have to load all the pen input Stuff along with HP's quickplay crap.

6. jomodad

jomodad Pen Pal - Newbie

I just multitask. I turn on my PC then I go take a leak or get some coffee. It don't matter how long it takes to boot. I am way to lazy to take the time to reinstall all my software and then updates and drivers then reconfigure everything all from scratch to save 10 or 20 seconds on bootup. Maybe someday 20 seconds will mean something that important to me. I understand it is the principle and a conversation on how or why it should take the time and if there are ways to shave it down. But in the same conversation is why?

7. cloudnine

cloudnine Scribbler - Standard Member

You're not just shaving seconds off your boot time, you're optimizing the system to run as efficient as possible. Benefits include reduced heat, faster system response, increase in battery life, more secure (less system vulnerabilities and privacy issues), and a generally better notebook experience.

8. Cadaeic

Cadaeic Scribbler - Standard Member

Better question: Why does Vista take so damn long to shutdown?

9. s0ldier93

s0ldier93 Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you done the adjustment that uses both processors on boot up instead of just one

10. cloudnine

cloudnine Scribbler - Standard Member

By default, there is a 20 second delay in shutdown to allow programs time to close. You can shorten this by going into regedit and adjusting the values to a shorter time. The path is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/ SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control

Set the "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" from 20000 (20 seconds) to something lower. Optimized systems can get by with 5000 (5 seconds). Otherwise set it to 10000 (10 seconds) to be safe that programs have properly shutdown.