Why does my tablet make a loud screeching buzzer noise?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by abstruseoni, Jan 11, 2010.

1. abstruseoni

abstruseoni Pen Pal - Newbie

Occasionally when i pick up my tablet it makes a really loud screeching buzzing noise. like a computer error noise, but very long with random length and it's not consistent.

it doesn't seem to be relevant to anything i have running, and it doesn't seem to effect my programs.. if anything, i'd think that my sound card or something internally is bending or pressing against another chip when i pick it up in certain ways. it's a toshiba tecra m7. has anyone ever experienced anything like this? and how might i fix it?

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's probably the fan. What can happen is dust can build up on the blades causing it to be off balance. Try opening the case, remove the fan, and clean it off. Blowing it out will not solve the problem and sometimes the fan itself needs to be replaced. The M7 fan shouldn't be too difficult to get to... THIS thread has a link to the manual and should get you well on your way to fixing it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. abstruseoni

i'm not sure if you understand. this isn't a constant loud fan sound...it's a LOUD screeching speaker noise, kinda like when your video card comes slighty out of slot and makes a beep while booting, only this noise is much louder and loooooonger....and it sounds inconsistent instead of a solid note....sorta like a buzzing noise, but incredibly loud and scary, lol.

it ONLY ever happens when i pick it up in a way that it "doesn't like".....and i don't really do anything out of the ordinary. it's just happened randomly a few times, but it's starting to worry me.

4. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I still think that it might be your fan as I have experienced what sounds like the same thing in the past and it was solved when I replaced the fan. I could be wrong though and perhaps another member has a better idea.

5. abstruseoni

interesting. i wouldn't think the two would relate at all. i'll give it a shot though

6. AndouHayate

AndouHayate Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having the same problem with mine. It seemed to happen at first when the computer would overheat, which was a hardware issue, and mostly when I tried watching youtube videos. The sound would seem to glitch, the video would freeze, and the noise would go on really long until I held the power switch to turn it off. I sent it in to be fixed because it finally crashed and couldn't start up again, and it hasn't overheated/crashed/frozen yet. But, I have gotten the buzzy noise again randomly, but really short bursts and only a couple of times. Like abstruseoni said, it comes from the speakers and is really scary lol. And LOUD. Its very weird. Also, for me, it doesn't seem related to the fan, but I'm interested if that works. My PC is new, so I doubt mine is caused by the fan.

7. balistic

balistic wacom jock

I'm guessing that the original poster is experiencing interference from a mobile phone.

Certain types of mobile phones can cause warbly/screechy noises in nearby speakers. If the volume on the computer is turned all the way up, the interference can be quite loud.

I would try to get at least 30 meters from the nearest mobile phone and see if you can still get the computer to make the noise.

8. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Could it just be microphone feedback? My older Toshiba M200 will do that during boot-up if I've left the volume wheel turned all the way up.

Where are the microphone inputs when you are picking it up wrong?

9. anngaa

anngaa Pen Pal - Newbie

i also have that problem but i have a andriod tablet i was once recording videos and once on fb and it started doing that it scared me and it got a little hot witch isnt bothering me but i just asumed it has a bug so im just going to extange it alot of people seem to have tablet problems maby its not nothen to worry about?