Why do lenovo tablets look so old?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by PineCallado, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PineCallado

PineCallado Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this sounds like a stupid question and I'm very sorry if i'm breaking any rules but I'm just curious, why do most, if not all lenovo tablets look like they was made in the 90s? They all look I don't know how to say this, "clunky" and "bricky". I'm sure many people don't care if their computers look like this if lenovo still sells their tablets well but it just got me really curious :)

I'm also guessing their build quality must be really good if the machines are so bulky!!! It wont break so easily :)

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

3. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

While these are comercials they do demonstrate the point. Thinkpads are made to withstand actually being used in real life. Drop em, bang em, YOU can replace the case if it actually cracks (unlikely unless you drop it on a corner), scratches can be buffed out, the color goes through the material. No permanent dents. Many parts are user maintainable and user upgradable, so if you switch mobile carriers, there's a card you buy and swap inside (or add if you have the units with all the antenna already installed). Want to swap/upgrade your HD? One screw. Thinkpads are also nondescript which means that you'll not be targeted by thieves who want that flashy white or metal Mac or strangely glowing Alienware unit. I remember when I outfitted a friend's daughter with a new (just released) Thinkpad that was internally top end, maxed out computer costing several thousands. When she took it to the college IT people to get configured for the school's network, they said, 'ohm you got your dad's old laptop' because they simply didn't know better. Thinkpads last. Ask how many people have them for 4,5 or 6 years - Even longer. I have a 12yr old thinkpad (reserved for special uses such as scanning photographs). I don't use it daily because the processor's slow, not because of anything else.

Why Lenovo ThinkPad is the Best - YouTube

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 laptop gets dropped from ceiling - YouTube

4. darthhen

darthhen Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,

I noticed you said "Lenovo tablets" in your openning post, so I'm assuming you're not referring to the Lenovo ThinkPad design. It goes back to IBM ThinkPad, the way I like to think of it. :)

So for the Lenovo tablets, I agree that the tablets that they have out does look kinda old-ish. But I think their design philosophy is to stay with the ThinkPad-ish design principles.

5. kanehi

kanehi Scribbler - Standard Member

I rather like the design of the Lenovo x220 tablet. It's a classic design that will last. With various laptops looking the same I'm glad Lenovo stayed with their proven design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.