Why are you using Vista Ultimate?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jeffreycentex, Apr 6, 2008.

1. end

end Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I am just trying to figure out what people are using Ultimate for if they are not going to use MCE. It would just be a waste of space. The link below seems to go against what you're saying...

These services are not in Vista Business so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/...all-and-remove-windows-media-center-in-vista/

2. genericwhiteguy

genericwhiteguy Pen Pal - Newbie

The link below has a good chart describing all the different features in all five versions of vista (halfway down). I think the upshot is that if you really need all the features of both premium and business, you should get ultimate. If not, just get the version that has the features you need. Each version loads different services, but having used both I don't see any noticable difference in boot times or performance.

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_02.asp

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. end

end Pen Pal - Newbie

thats a good link, thanks.

4. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

i just use home prim
    dont have need of anything included in the others buniess or ultimate
    that there are not better 3th party options to get
    and 64bit version that ulti have is a bad move currently imho

5. jeffreycentex

jeffreycentex Pen Pal - Newbie

My reasons:

#1 - The ability to use Cached Credentials... MS removed this from the home SKUs and it is annoying to have your domain password/drive passwords in plain text or have to type them in every time you want to map a network drive.
    #2 - Bitlocker. Even though we don't have a TPM, you can still use Bitlocker.

Why don't I use Business/Enterprise? I don't have a license to them. I have quite a few Vista Ultimate from the beta, launch events (Vista & Server 2008 launches), etc. So I would have to pay for a license to use Business/Enterprise.

If I were to build one of these for office use, I would use Enterprise.