Why are you using Vista Ultimate?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jeffreycentex, Apr 6, 2008.

1. end

end Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wondering because so many tx2000 owners seem to be using it... Was it for Dream scene or whatever? bitlocker? Media center functions?

2. ScotchtapeLoser

ScotchtapeLoser Scribbler - Standard Member

There were two features I wanted with Vista and the Ultimate is the only one with both.

1. Windows Media Center
    2. Complete Image Backup

Home premium has the media center; business/enterprise has the image backup; Ultimate has both.

I use the complete image backup to image my computer weekly and save to a shared folder on my home network. If the machine dies, its a quick rebuild to restore all of my files, settings and programs.

3. end

end Pen Pal - Newbie

would i be right in thinking that ultimate takes slightly longer to load because of media center functions?

4. genericwhiteguy

genericwhiteguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Longer than what?

Premium also includes media center
    Business does not

Media center is a program that runs within windows, so it shouldn't affect startup times unless you have the system start it automatically.

5. end

end Pen Pal - Newbie

longer than vista business...

Right, it runs within windows, but from my experience with xp mce it probably starts a few services for media center during startup. Services to automatically find or answer to media extenders or living room alliance products.

6. genericwhiteguy

Well, my Vista PC's boot faster than XP. I can't imagine that any MC services add anything significant to the startup time.

7. ScotchtapeLoser

ScotchtapeLoser Scribbler - Standard Member

The services that find and answer media extenders is the same service that searches your network for other computers so it does not add to the boot time.

business/enterprise have a few extra services that home premium do not, i.e. the backup, shadow copy, etc...

If you're using ultimate and you do not use the MCE, the the startup service ehome.exe doesnt run.

8. KhaOZ

KhaOZ Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't even know how to use MCE. Fresh install of vista on this thing, I go to click "Windows Media Center" in the start menu, and nothing happens. It shows up on my recently used programs, but nothing happened.

9. KhaOZ

KhaOZ Scribbler - Standard Member

Or not. After letting the laptop sit for about 5 minutes, WMC just pops up out of nowhere. Seriously, 5 minutes. Is it always this slow to run, or just the first time?

EDIT: yep, looks like this is how it always runs. Closed it, restarted it, and nothing is happening again. I'm guessing, in 5-10 minutes from now, WMC is going to just pop up.

10. genericwhiteguy

Something's wrong with your install if that happens every time. Mine pops up right away. Have you been through the setup process? I don't remember if there was a delay the first time I started it.