Why 8"?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mesosphere, Jan 31, 2014.

?

What was the primary driver in your purchase of an 8" tablet.

1. The lower price point of 8" devices compared to larger ones.

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. The compact size of the 8" devices.

34 vote(s)
    42.0%
  3. Both of the above factors carried roughly equal weight.

36 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. Other. (Please post and share what this reason was)

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I don't sit down (or rather I take it out before sitting). As I said, it is of situational use. It is just one more thing that adds to its portability advantage over 10" devices. I don't carry it in there all day like a phone.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  2. thorissr

thorissr Pen Pal - Newbie

I like others purchased the pro 8 as a companion/consumption device to my Surface Pro 2. Lately I hardly ever touch my Pro 2 unless I have to do some heavy lifting or just because I know I have been neglecting it :)

Finally we have a device on the market that can actually replace iPad/Androids and at the same time be productive on the go. When I say productive I'm talking about real work in programs required and/or accepted by the vast majority of businesses, without the need to buy workarounds (apps). Don't get me wrong, ipads/androids have their place and I can safely say in my corporate environment well over 90% in that environment owns some sort of apple/android device. However when its time to do real work that same 90% turns into 100% windows users.

That's where the DVP8 comes into play. For management meetings, conferences calls etc.. I can now lighten my load by just bringing a pro 8 and stylus, and I'm good to go. Lunch breaks or what not..pro 8 is still my goto device.

Just my personal experiences.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

3. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting--I would have thought that the Surface Pro 2 would be the portable "compromise device" smaller than a full laptop. I guess that people really are drawn to an 8" size (and Mr. Jobs was wrong there).

4. Lonsarg

Lonsarg Pen Pal - Newbie

Thing is Surface Pro IS a perfect portable compromise device. But if you do NOT want a compromise, than you go for 8" + big LCD monitor or laptop i think.

I think people are buying 10" because 7" was just too small for them, for some 8" is still too small. I gues tablet sizes will stabilize around 8.5" - 9", than no more reason for 10" tablets.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm a bit late to this poll. My vote just put "size" out in front of both "size and price". I would pay up to a couple of hundred more for a better built device.

I clearly don't use the M80TA as a laptop replacement. I lean heavily on my X301 Thinkpad for most document production. But, I rarely take the Thinkpad out of the office anymore, as I have found that I can do almost anything with the tablet, pen and a portable keyboard. In the office, it has completely replaced my legal pad. All of my notes are in OneNote and easily accessed. My To Do list is always with me. I have also transferred all time keeping and project tracking to Drawboard and PDF forms.

The Quad Atom is powerful enough to run Adobe Acrobat Pro 11 very well and is my preference for any technical mark-up of an exhibit for presentation. That keeps me in the hunt for an 8" tablet running full W8.1. I haven't had the time to play with Miracast but I'm hoping to use this tablet as a whiteboard with a large screen display in a conference room. It sounds like the technology is not up to speed yet. I also have to DL Tether-X and get my tablet tethered, although, to be honest, I just use the Lumia for most things while on the road.

I use the Eraser S-Pen mainly now. It's the perfect size to ride along on the top of the M80TA's case. The Surface pen stays in the briefcase mostly. I almost never use the silo pen but it is great when I need it to just slip it out and take a quick note.

Other than the legendary hardware failures this tablet is becoming famous for, the design is the sweet spot of fanless/companion devices. Unless MS goes baytrail on its mini, which is not likely IMO, I'm resigned to soldier on with the M80TA but am looking forward to the evolution of this design into better built, more durable devices with more I/O ports built in.

thierryb and Mesosphere like this.
  6. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought the DV8P for $230, couldn't resist at that price. I ended up getting a keyboard, active stylus, case and 64G micro SD card, all ended up adding another $100+ to the price tag in the end though. I thought it would also be a great travel computer, very light weight and much more powerful than my old gen 1 Atom netbook (Samsung NC10). However, using it on the plane during my last 12 hour flight to China I found the screen was just too uncomfortably small. I tried playing some games on it, but at the distance from where I was sitting to the little fold down table on the plane it was too hard to see small UI elements/text. I also watched a movie on it and found the audio level far too low using earbuds compared to the ambient jet noise.

I think the 8" size is a bit of a tough sell for a full Win8 machine, but I honestly haven't used it at all in "Metro" mode, I'm a long time Windows user and mostly bought it so I could have full x86 PC capability in the small package, rather than use it in a more limited fashion like my Android tablet/phone.

7. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I never understood the appeal of a 8" tablet personally. It's not pocketable, yeah I saw the pics of someone front pocketing it but honestly are you never going to sit down? You are going to have to take it out to carry it eventually. If I have to carry something it will be in a nice slim man bag so I have both hands free, and if I'm carrying a tablet around I might as well make it fully functional and have 10" or more of screen. That extra 2-3" doesn't sound like much, but IMO it makes a HUGE difference in the functionality of the tablet. Seems like I would trade off 2-3" of very usable screen real estate for the questionable ability to literally stuff this down a pocket only when I'm standing, which isn't a good trade off for me. Also a man bag lets me carry accessories, a small wireless mouse, a stylus, etc etc.

I had the DV8p, very nice tablet but I found I couldn't do much with it out of Metro mode. Which is ok, it was fun for consumption type activities but not as functional in terms of desktop type stuff.

8. benny90

benny90 Scribbler - Standard Member

8" size is the perfect in my opinion, especially, and as long as it's in a 16:10 format. 7" is too small, its crazy what that extra 1" does for productivity. 10" is too large for a truly portable device. Compared to my Surface, this thing is a million times easier to tote around. And yes, the Dell fits fine in my pockets, probably not for the skinny jeans ppl though. Overall loving my mini computer that does everything I ever need it to do.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

That pic was me, and I don't sit down with it in there . It is just one of the many places I can (and regularly do) put it (temporarily) while I'm walking from one place to another. If my hands are full or I just don't want to carry it I can put it there. It can fit in the outside pocket of my convertible ultrabook sleeve side pocket. I can put it in my jacket pocket. I also started wearing cargo pants, so I have an additional place to put it (which allows me to sit down).

Also it is significantly lighter (~ half of 10" atom tablet), and it has an even smaller moment of inertia (~ a third). The smaller moment means that if you hold it by a side/corner it will feel lighter on the wrist. I find when I leave my desk I'm much more likely to bring my 8" tablet with me vs. my (now retired) 10" tablets. The 8" tablets are much more comfortable to carry in my hand and I have several more places I can carry it if I need/want my hands free.

Portability is only part of it though. I much prefer to use an 8" tablet for the many tasks that don't require a large screen. When both my 8" tablet and 10" tablet are both sitting within arms reach I will almost never reach for the 10" device. The 8" device is significantly more comfortable to hold. The 10" tablet needs to sit in my lap for extended periods. The 8" tablet can be held in one hand resting on my chest/stomach indefinitely or in many other positions including extended in the air like a cell phone (this is an area where the much smaller moment comes in) for a rather long time without fatigue. The fact that I tend to hold it much closer to my eyes than a 10" tablet more than alleviates the smaller screen size for many tasks. Comfort is subjective though of course, so YMMV.

Of course there are several tasks for which a larger screen than 8" is desirable, but, for me, in those cases 10" isn't big enough either. So my solution is for the 8" device to be a companion to a convertible ultrabook (13.3", 3.4 lb Fujitsu T904). For quick notes, web browsing, reading/annotiating papers (inserted into onenote), light document editing etc. I tend to use my 8" tablet. For heaving document editing, heavy note taking (like a long derivation), coding, etc. I use my 13" tablet.

I realize you use a Galaxy N3 as a phablet for probably much the same role I use my 8" windows tablet, but I don't think that works for me. I need it to be running windows.

1) It is more cohesive when both of my devices are running the same OS.
    2) Full onenote and its cloud synchronization are very important to me.
    3) Being able to do light document editing with full office (which wont mangle the formatting) is very important.
    4) A GN3 has half the screen area of an 8" tablet. I like 8" because it is the maximum size that I can pocket, and no fatigue.
    5) I've always hated using my phone for anything. Phone screens are just too small for me. Granted 5.7" is bigger than I'm used to, but I still don't think I'd be happy with it.
    6) I don't always bring my ultrabook with me (the same was true for my 10" tablets), so in a pinch I need my companion to fill in for it (need x86).
    7) As you have pointed out, full IE browser > mobile browsers.

Much of this may be heavily dependent on my own personal preferences, use case, (and strength =P), so it may not apply to everyone, but, for me, I'm pretty confident that these 8" windows tablets have legitimate appeal to me. If someone offers a 5.7" windows (x86, maybe RT) phablet though I'll probably give it a try. I don't know if I would prefer it, but I was skeptical of 8" going in too.

RA_from_BH likes this.
  10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I hear ya, it's definitely personal preference, and I suppose wrist strength. :eek:-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.