Who's upgrading their Surface to Win10 and when?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, Jun 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

I updated...without looking back :p
    I am even writing this within the new Edge browser

I should add the update was painless and took under 45 minutes for the SP3 i5 version

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

How did you "retry" - I'm not showing it in my available updates in Windows Update - I do see a setup file in the hidden directory, but my gut tells me leave it alone until MS manages to straighten this out. It's just the update history that reports the failed attempts to update...

SO BIZARRE - it has apparently tried to update (again) in the background and failed - clicking details reports this:

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Installation date: ‎7/‎29/‎2015 11:28 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80240020

Update type: Important

Install the next version of Windows.

More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=507415

Help and Support:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=507417

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I hit check for updates again (I might have had to do this a couple times), and the Defender update re-appeared. Then I tried installing it again. It wasn't until I got the Defender update installed that it finally showed me Win 10 was ready to install.

This may well have been a coincidence though =P

4. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I've got the same errors in my update history, but when I click the damn 'Don't forget about Windows 10!' icon that WILL NOT hide from my system tray, it says I can go ahead at any time. Maybe try that?

For the record, I'm hesitating on the swtich-over because I LOVE the Touch Me Gesture Studio app in Win 8, and apparently it's one of the casualties of Win 10 right now. But I might not be able to resist the whole day, especially since universities in August are basically mausoleums with Starbucks.

5. dstrauss

Microsoft May be Getting a Lot of Egg on Its Face:

Every time I ask Windows Update to check for updates, it reports no update available, BUT then shows a failed Windows 10 upgrade attempt in the update history. Now have 10 failed upgrade attempts.

NO WINDOWS 10 FOR YOU!
    [​IMG]

PS - updated my signature accordingly...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  6. dstrauss

UPDATE:

Found this on Windows 10 Forums:

What this error means is, your Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Now, how do you fix that?
    1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
    2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
    3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

Did as suggested, it cleaned up my "hidden" folder and now got the Microsoft message box that the system is ready to upgrade - rescheduled for later this week just to see what else goes wrong. Will upgrade the mighty midget (Asus VivoTab Note 8) first as a guinea pig.

PS - Windows 10 Home on the Asus only shows 4.2gb download as opposed to Win10 Pro on the SPro 3 (5.9gb).

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Strauss, I tried that last night on my mothers W7 notebook, but apparently it still failed. I am going to wait until the weekend to upgrade to W10 on my S3. But, I will try to see if I can get it done on her computer again tonight. I am also going to wait a month or so for the work machine, mostly due the possibly there maybe incompatibilities with certain things.

8. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, I'm so disappointed with the new OneDrive... they have ruined it in my opinion. It's best feature to me was the placeholder for files that were "on-line only" as it totally integrated into Windows Explorer and made it a useful drive. They have removed this, thus gutting how I use it. Terrible choice.

This alone is sending me back to 8.1, reverting now. Very disappointed. Those that heavily use OneDrive, beware.

And for those that haven't gotten the "secret invite" and still want to try 10, just install it directly:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Some things that don't work: The Purple Button on the Surface Pen, It fails to recognize this to open the OneNote app.

I had to re-install drawboard before it would even load.

Anyone experiencing other problems so far?

10. dstrauss

Now have it installed on Asus mighty midget, but haven't had time to check it out - will hold back on SPro 3 until tonight at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.