Who's upgrading their Surface to Win10 and when?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by b52hbuff, Jun 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I want the old Gladiator guy back you imposter!

be77solo likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm trying, but the avatar won't switch - give another try tomorrow.

Hey - I think I go it...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    soh5 likes this.
  3. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

@meso - likewise, I primarily use my SP3 in desktop mode, but even there I use the touch screen fairly often. I do use some MUI apps once in awhile, but I wouldn't really consider myself a tablet user as in detached keyboard et al. Nevertheless, I truly love the SP3. Here's hoping Windows 10 will be a good experience for most, particularly a few months down the road when things are more polished.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

For me, my S3 is for note taking and reading/annotating papers in my primary tablet use. In this role I'm basically just using OneNote, IE, Windows Explorer, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word. It is inconvenient to resize the windows for my liking using touch/pen, but, I'm not satisfied with Snap generally either. I tend to prefer irregularly resized windows that suite what I'm doing rather than the rigid (but easier to use) Modern UI snap. For example, I like to have windows arranged vertically while in portrait. Often I have one OneNote window using ~25% of the vertical real estate at the top and at the bottom another window using the remaining space on which I am taking notes on. I think what I'll end up liking about W10 in my tablet use case is multiple desktops, so that I can switch between screens of arranged windows. I'll have to disable tablet mode of course, since multiple desktops have been disabled in tablet mode.

It is also my laptop (which obviously is Desktop focused), but this isn't the most frequent use case. I'm a desktop (tower) user.

I've never been in the "app" tablet user club. I almost always prefer the experience of the web site version of an "app" rather than the app. The app is usually more touch friendly to be sure, but I almost always care more about the loss of features or information in an app more than the loss in touch friendliness at the website (I'd rather put up with UI chunkiness vs. stripped down content/features). I find, after the initial learning curve, I can learn the quirks and operate the non-touched optimized sites/applications efficiently enough for my liking.The thing that has me most hesitant to go to W10 is the loss of Modern IE.

This is all just theory though... I've been using W10 on my desktop machines, but I haven't had it installed on a tablet since very early on with my AVN8. I'm still very much on the fence about what I'll do. I'm thinking of imaging my eMMC then making the plunge, so that I can restore things how they were if I don't like it.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm hoping we can have one focused thread where TCPR members describe their experiences with the Windows 10 UI, after say a week of solid use. I'm very curious how people end up feeling after adjusting to some of the changes.

soh5 likes this.
  6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

@JoeS i am all ears, let's hear more about that thread.

JoeS likes this.
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

A related question, will Office be upgrade with W10, or will it stay the version we are on currently?

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I understand that the "Metro" or tablet version of Office will ship with Windows 10 (if your eligible - I guess that means "free" if under 10" but Office 365 account if >10"), but that desktop Office 2016 is in the autumn fog at this point...

9. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

It looks like the touch-centered versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint will be releasing the same day as Windows 10 but those will require Office 365. Same if you want the new version of Office (2016, it's already out on Mac), you have to be subscribed to Office 365. Otherwise you will be "stuck" with whatever version of Office you initially purchased.

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

So, if I have the free one year trial of 365 I got with my S3 that means the remainder of the time life on my trial will be on the newer office, just to be clear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.