Who wants the ability to use the entire or partial touch screen as a giant touchpad?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by siddhartth, Oct 8, 2016.

?

do you wantwant the ability to toggle between Touchscreen and touchpad mode on your tabletPC?

1. yes i want to be able to use my touchscreen as a touchpad if i can toggle between them

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Why?

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. yes, but only a part of touchscreen with a resizable touchpad, not full touchscreen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Many of us feel the area of our touchpads lacking to perform gestures. And to be honest many of us are trying to transition to a pure tablet PC life without a mouse or a keyboard. And many of us are just too stingy to buy keyboards/trackpad type covers which have now become (surprisingly) a separate expensive purchase on most of the premium tabletPCs. But come free on cheaper laptops. The dell venue 8 pro (synaptic pen) now is cheaper than it's keyboard in India.

Most of us know that the touchscreens of our mobile phones can be used as trackpads for connected PCs. So i am wondering how many of us would like that ability to be natively supported in windows10?

Don't worry touchscreens can support all gestures of a trackpad. And do both right (2 finger tap) and left click (1 finger tap).

You don't have to answer, just give your vote. It's more like a yes/no thing. I just want to knowhow many people find this type of function.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You might want to keep your neanderthal opinions to yourself and out of our polls if you want anyone to participate in them or take you seriously. I don't particularly care how you feel about gay marriage and don't think it belongs as an option in a poll.

Mikerman likes this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I made the poll less offensive and more egalitarian....please watch how you post things.

Thanks...

4. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can be done currently with freeware TouchMousePointer from Lovesummertrue Software (also part of paid software utility suite Tablet Pro available at the Microsoft Store), with its fullscreen mouse mode.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Dwig and siddhartth like this.
  5. siddhartth

I am in support of Gay marriage, which technically doesn't need my support as it is technically legal in many countries. I was being sarcastic. Sorry.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  6. siddhartth

sorry for the inconvenience. I am as egalitarian as it gets. Bare text was too opaque for the sarcasm that i intended to show through.

And i really don't need the third "why" option. I just wanted it to be a poll. I just wanted to know what the majority thinks, to see if it's a feasible option for Microsoft. Why option, would lead to unnecessary justifications, which don't matter in the process of making a feature native in the OS, it's the number of users who want this feature, matters.

7. siddhartth

@Bronsky
    I was mocking the traditionalist point of view, by pretending to be a narrow minded contrarian to a widely recognized legitimate public sentiment which is now also a legally protected right. It sounded funnier in my not so bright head. I thought everybody with a technological scientific inclination agrees that oppression of gay rights, slavery and segregation is a bad thing. and so everybody will get the sarcasm. When i said that touchscreen and touchpads shouldn't mix, i assumed undertones of conservative anxieties and fear of racial miscegenation and gay rights will be clear enough.

Like how larger society and lawmakers have delayed gay rights. Similarly, technological orthodoxy of Apple has deprived iPad users of Pencil for so many years, but finally conceding that stylus was mightier than touch in some use cases, which many users knew was right all along. Similar is Microsoft's denial of pen enabled phone. Creating an analogy with this, i was trying to draw light-hearted parallel suggesting that in Post-iPad era, the "touchscreen" supremacist orthodoxy has taken roots, that considers Relative tracking of mice and trackpads inferior to Absolute tracking of conventional touchscreens, which is fine for people who want to use NotebookPCs i.e, Surface with type cover, but a bit limiting to the people who want to use their surface as a standalone tabletPC.

But clearly i am not as funny or clear in language as i think i am.

My apologies for any misunderstanding
    I highly respect you as a positive contributor.

Coming back to the topic, i think for people who have lost their pen or broken it, do need an input alternative that is more precise than what a finger allows, with relative tracking of a touchpad, they will be able to do, continuous-drag text selection without a pen, without having to use a mouse or touchpad on typecover. As many people use tablets as stand alone tabletpcs. A taskbar icon that when tapped, enables a translucent expandable, trackpad with right and left clicks and gestures. It can be a good accessibility/ease of access feature. Much like onscreen keyboard, baked natively in the OS. @WillAdams explained me it's not very intuitive to use a full screen as a touchpad. And i can see how. But how about resizable floating touchpad.

Larger implication is-
    Samsung and BlackBerry give an option to use this relative touch tracking on top of their android keyboard itself. Which is only limited to text fields (as keyboard comes up only when one taps in the text field) and also introduces typing mistakes. And If Google and Apple want, they can make click and drag continuous text selection, possible in mobileOS too, it's a no brainer as the touchscreen hardware already supports relative tracking also. It's an OS limitation. Like how we change from keyboard to handwriting input, a trackpad can also be included there.

8. siddhartth

The paid version costs $10, i guess the free version is probably adware. Have you tried it? Is it safe?
    I knew about it but was afraid to download it.
    It will be great if the feature was part of ease of access. External software work only when windows boots up Completely, till desktop comes on screen. But during restarting and updating might cause driver errors that might not let you reach the desktop. Ease of access/accessibility features can be used before unlocking the screen or logging in.

9. mistake the mizan

mistake the mizan Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a solid "why"...I had to look up the TouchMousePointer tool to understand exactly what this functionality might look like, and still am unclear on the benefit...

10. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have used TouchMousePointer for over 2 years now, in fact using it at this moment. It is entirely safe and reliable, and should be included standard with all tablets. It is that functional and good. It plays well with Windows and fully integrates with it, seeming like standard-issued Windows OEM software.

I've been using the freeware version of the software, which still is available at the developer's website. And no, it is NOT adware--not a hint of an ad in sight, and it operates as if part of Windows.

The only real issue I've seen is lack of good instructions for its use (and there are language issues in the rudimentary online examples of use). But it can be figured out by use and examples.

You should be checking it out--absolutely no reason or excuse not to.

(By the way, the paid version provides extra features, such as a see-through keyboard capability, well worth the payment for that alone. But the freeware version will provide the full functionality of the main features.)

Dwig and siddhartth like this.