Who makes the best n-trig pen?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by krakken232, Sep 17, 2014.

1. krakken232

krakken232 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all! First post, I've been banging my head against the wall trying to decide which tablet/laptop to buy, and probably lurked on this forum for hours over the last couple weeks, but I decided to go with the VAIO Flip 15 because it's a powerful rig and I got a great deal on it.

However, the unit I got was not shipped with a pen - so I'm looking to get a compatible n-trig pen for it without spending upwards of $100 for the direct Sony replacement. I can't find much information about the actual n-trig pens, but I've come to discover through research that n-trig pens work with any n-trig device. I'm wondering who here uses n-trig based products for artwork and what the experiences have been like thus far in regards to the actual pen.

I can get the HTC Scribe pen for around ten bucks, and it's highly reviewed on Amazon by VAIO Flip users - but who knows what their actual use cases are. I'm leaning toward getting a couple of these because of the low price point but I'm also considering a Surface Pro 3 pen. I know Fujitsu also makes n-trig pens but I'm unsure of model numbers, etc... The only complaint levied against the HTC Scribe pen I've found is that it's a little short and stubby for artwork, which might be a problem for my gigantic man-hands.

Any thoughts?

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would get the Surface 3 pen (or wait to see what the new Toshiba pen will cost). I like the balance and feel of the pen and its has the best writing tip of any N-Trig device. The older versions like the HTC version have the original design which is loud, glitchy and will wear the contacts making the mechanism unreliable after a year or so of use. The S3 pen is a vast improvement over the earlier design.

BTW, I don't know of any N-Trig pens that don't work on current versions of the technology but, to be safe, I would see if anyone had reported using the Surface 3 pen or, better yet, take your Sony to the local Best Buy and take the Surface 3 pen for a spin around the park.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

SP3 pen by a long shot if you cant get the flip pen easily

4. krakken232

krakken232 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, the Flip Pen seems to be a "hot commodity" these days with Sony dumping the VAIO brand - best deal I can find is $90, with some up over $120.

I will go ahead and get a Surface Pro 3 pen - not many deals to be found considering it's pretty new, looks like I can just pick one up at Best Buy for $50. Thanks a lot for the insight!

5. kvad

kvad Pen Pal - Newbie

Been using the Surface Pro 3 pen on a Vaio Flip 15A for the last couple of weeks. Posted some insights over here.

6. dblkk

dblkk Pen Pal - Newbie

The surface pen is the best ntrig. But the htc pen you stated above is a good pen as well. Not better than the surface pen, but at $15, i have one as a spare in case i loose or break my surface pen. Ive used it a few times, and its good. I wouldnt choose it over the surface, but if i had to i wouldnt have a problem using it

7. adawe

adawe Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't forget the acer aspire stylus that comes with r7 572 sometimes. The tip is all plastic so it does not bang loudly against the screen. But they are hard to find even on ebay.