Who has successfully installed win xp on the fujitsu t4220

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by aylmer, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aylmer

aylmer Pen Pal - Newbie

hi all,

appreciate your help if you can. my fujitsu came preinstalled with Win Vista business. I thought it would be a good move only to find that so many drivers are not supported on Vista yet.

So i have a legit version of windows xp pro install CDrom. I know the T4220 is SATA based so i downloaded the SATA drivers from Fujitsu webpages. I booted up as usual with the XP install disk and pressed F6 to load the SATA drivers. But after selecting ICH8 SATA files, windows detects the drive and proceeds on for a little bit asking where you want to install windows etc but gets stuck after at the copy files stage. It keeps asking me for Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver file from an A drive and aborts the installation. The previous A drive is still there! I searched all over the web but it all still points me back to either a 5mb file (unable to fit a floppy!) or the driver files that i already got from fujitsu.

Has anybody got any alternative of installing Windows XP on the machine? I am open to suggestions. Though my best preference is to have a dual boot between XP and Vista. I have found this great vistabootpro freeware and have even done the HDD partitioning. But i still can't get XP installed. :(

Can anybody help?

Thanks

2. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

I am in the same boat as you but I am waiting to get my copy of xp until this weekend with a student discount.

My plan: Use my 8GB USB Flash drive and configure it as a bootable device. Then install Windows XP and Ubuntu on there and use it when I need to.

3. chaos120

chaos120 Pen Pal - Newbie

thaluckyspoon,
    How do you configure your USB drive into a bootable device?

4. aylmer

aylmer Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

check out
    http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

Luckyspoon, i have tried this option but i have also not got it to work. I think the 5mb is not a correct file either as its 5mb and an .exe file. Hmmm. :(

5. aylmer

aylmer Pen Pal - Newbie

I am not getting much headway honestly.... searched for hours... :(

i am tempted on going this route now...

http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

let me know if you get anywhere or got better findings. appreciate it.

:)

6. gil-galad

gil-galad Pen Pal - Newbie

aymler,

I hope you are aware that Windows XP Professional doesn't have tablet pc features (like handwriting input). You have to use Windows XP Tablet PC Edition (a superset of Professional) on the T4220, which, AFAIK, is only available to OEMs and MSDN Subscribers.

As for installing Windows XP on an external drive, I have had great succes with USBoot (http://www.usboot.org/tiki-index.php).

7. odinalpha

odinalpha M200, T4220

Quick comment, and sorry I can't help with your install.

However, if I am not mistaken, even if you are able to install XP, you will not have tablet PC functionality - since that requires a Tablet PC edition. Here is a long article on how to pull it off.

The simple route is probably going to be to request a new XP Tablet install disk from Fujitsu.

Alternatively, you can do what I do, and that is run Vista, but with a virtual machine installation of XP Pro (using VMWare) for anything that requires XP. (Such as corporate VPN software, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. odinalpha

odinalpha M200, T4220

... beaten by a few minutes. :)

9. khunter

khunter Pen Pal - Newbie

The problem may be your USB floppy drive. Certain models do not work because they are not defined on the XP boot disk. I had the problem with a Sony, but a Dell (made by TEAC) worked fine. You can find a little more info at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/916196/. Unfortunately, this wasn't the last of my problems, but I am making progress. You can buy XP Tablet PC Edition at newegg.com. Good luck.

10. tabletdoc

tabletdoc Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to successfully install XP in a dual boot on driveD with Vista Business on drive C- but try as I may, there was no way to get the OEM TPC2005 disc 2 to install. The key to getting XP on at all was to use nLite to add the SATA drivers only, then installing into D after vista had been installed to C with dual partitions, then repairing the vista boot sectors and setting up dual boot with Easy BCD as detailed here http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

It is important to note if your tablet came with XP TPC originally I would expect a dual boot with XP TPC/VB would work, but for those who purchased with Vista business installed, I'm not sure that XP TPC can install unless someone has the right developer tools. Of course, I'm no expert and would be happy to be proven wrong about this.

Fujitsu Cust Service (which is terrific by the way) suggested the dual boot scheme and helped a little in explaining it though it needed quite a bit of tweaking and massaging to work. They were not inclined to sell XP TPC install discs for machines originally shipped with Vista, they said that even if they did (and weren't going to) they would cost $600- not sure if this is just one agent's opinion -

If anyone else has luck doing this, please share with the forum as clearly it is an important issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.