Who got their Fujitsu Q550 today? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Techgeek32, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Some very quick notes and observations, based on one day of familiarization:

<> The Q550 is clearly embodies some trade-offs. Processor power versus battery life, processor power setting versus heat, battery size versus weight, and so on. It looks to me like the Fujitsu designers have opted for longer operating life at the cost of some computing power and speed. It remains to be seen to what extent the hardware design can be tweaked with software settings, though...

<> The Windows Experience Index on my machine was 2.0. The processor was the low score! This was while my power management setting was still "Power Saving." I've since switched to "Balanced" (thanks, Bishop), but I haven't had a chance to rerun the WEI to see if it turns out any differently (I'll be surprised if it does).

<> Fujitsu has one of the most tedious initialization cycles that I've ever seen. I thought that bringing the T580 up from new start-up took a long time, but the Q550 was somehow a bit worse. It took at least 3 hours while Windows started, Fujitsu initialization routines ran, Windows updated (including, as Bishop observed, Service Pack 1...!!!) and a new Fujitsu video driver was installed. By the time all that was finished, it was well past bed time! To add insult to injury, at least one of the windows updates hung up in mid-installation, and it took almost a half hour to get back on track again.

<> Is the inking better or worse than the Slate 500? Is the touch worse? I'm not sure, yet. Regarding touch, I did notice a few instances where touch did not seem as responsive as I would have expected it to be. I opened Journal briefly to test inking. I used the N-trig hexagonal pen and the HTC Flyer pen. Inking did seem pretty good, but I also noticed that it was extremely easy to raise the pen high enough that the digitizer would lose fixation and revert to touch. I finally switched from Dual to Auto and calibrated both the pen and touch, but at that point I ran out of time.

<> The screen is bright and clear. I had no immediate reaction to the matte screen finish in terms of compromising image quality, I did observe that the matte finish nicely reduces front-face reflections, as one would expect.

<> The Q550 got warm during last night's marathon session, but it did not get what I would call hot (i.e., surface temps not greater than about 115 degrees F). I did not try any videos. The hardware is clustered on the left side of the slate (held in landscape) so for those of us who are right-handed, we would naturally hold the slate with our left hands. This makes the heat pretty obvious, because it is immediately under our hands! This may fuel the impression that the Q550 runs "hot."

<> The Q550 feels solid and I find its overall dimensions to be pleasing. In particular, it feels thin and the rubber-coated back makes it that much easier to hold. I did not notice any "looseness" with regard to the battery, but I also didn't check for that specifically.

<> WiFi performance did not seem unusually slow nor unusually fast during all the software downloads. However, more to come on this.

<> Once it finally stabilized, the desktop was nicely uncluttered (with a very generic Windows wallpaper). In addition to the usual Fujitsu apps, like an electronic user guide, the Q550 comes with Adobe Reader 9, IE8, a utility app for the front and rear cameras, a junior version of Microsoft Office, and a folder that appears to have about 8-10 other uninstalled applications, such as a fingerprint reader app, a security app and a few others that I've had no time at all to explore or understand.

Is the Q550 a keeper? Guardedly, I think so, but time will tell. The overall size suits me better than the Slate 500, and the delta weight is not noticeable. I am not bothered by the heat. We'll see how the pen and touch work out in time.

2. motionfan

motionfan Pen Pal - Newbie

I am curious how the handwriting recognition works vs. the LE1700. I moved from a LE1600 to a LE1700 because, during handwriting recognition, the 1600 couldn't keep up with inking. The lag made it hard to write much more than a few words at a time. What does the Q550 do?

Also, to clarify, I think the Motion LE1700 is 3.2 # with standard battery, 4.1 # with extended battery. The J3500 is, per report on tabletpcbuzz.com, 4.5 # or so.

3. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

No offense meant, but... Judging performance based on how Youtube is acting is not a good way to measure anything. Most days Youtube chokes so badly on my Samsung QX410 (i5-460m dual core+hyperthreading and 8GB ram, connected to a cable modem that normally runs about 10mbps) that I can't take it and tune away. Yet when I'm editing 1920x1080 source material in the same codec it purrs right along, and playing that same content is no work at all.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Good to hear that the N-Trig inking can approach that of a Wacom pen. I don't do a lot of note-taking on my unit, but I think that is so because the inking is annoying. I use the pen quite a bit to highlight cases while I'm reading them in PDF Annotator and I mark up documents quite a bit.

Seems like N-Trig got the pen right on the Fuji, but the touch is screwed up. Hopefully, they'll get it balanced at some point. The power issue is more disconcerting. The slate is boarderline as it is in CPU/GPU performance.

Intel seems to be having problems across their entire mobile platform these days. Sandybridge has been having a lot of growing pains. Maybe they're pushing too many "new" units onto the market without proper bios and driver support. I'm sure Fuji will get the performance where it needs to be. I'm less convinced that N-Trig will improve its drivers. There has been next to no support for the Slate 500. I'm a bit dissapointed at that. If this pen were improved, I would probably keep my slate for another year past its anniversary date and buy an extended carepack warranty. If not, the better inking will keep me focused on the 2012 tablet refreshes to see if AMD can get its fusion APUs to work better on tablets.

Nice to see some competition in the market. We should be hearing about the Motion tablet soon.

Bronsky:cool:

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Steve,
    I take that to mean that the CPU contributed 2.0 to the WEI? I just checked and on a 'balanced' profile my Win 7 TC1100 with 1.2 GHz Centrino scores a 2.2 WEI for the CPU. This is just a frame of reference that I have no idea what it means; it sounds close but who knows what is really behind that number. I am waiting to see the Passmark CPU Benchmark number and how the CPU ranks in the overall list. Then we can see how it is performing relative to the other CPU's...

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I take that to mean that the CPU contributed 2.0 to the WEI?..>>

Hi, Dan: As you know, the WEI score is determined by the lowest rated component. Normally, it's mostly always Gaming Graphics. This is the first time that I can remember the CPU being the pacing component.

Microsoft advises that the WEI rating is NOT an absolute performance benchmark but rather a "relative rating" of capability. (Also, the Pirate's Code is really only intended to be taken as guidelines...)

7. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

I think my u810 had nearly that high a WEI and it was also for the lower speed processor. But that was on one of the Beta versions, I never put a real version of Win7 on that machine.

8. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Questions:
    a) How much bloatware is installed? (Answered, thank you guys)
    b) After 5 minutes idle, how many services are running and how much memory is it using?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Could any of you owners of the Slate 500 and Q550 run the WPrime 32 benchmark and report the results?

Edit: I just found Slate 500 benchmarks.... Thanks Bronsky!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

For the record, I have the extended battery and it weighs 4 lbs 6oz. I see no lag whatsoever using inking on the Q550. The pen slides very well over the glass with a click only if you bang the pen down on the glass. inking seems the same as the LE 1700. The pressure sensitivity works better on the Q550.

I love both the LE 1700 and my retired TC1000. But I lost "touch" with the LE 1700 because I just couldn't carry it around everywhere. I almost went for the Flyer (pocket size) I but I'm glad I waited out for the Q550 with all its windows capabilities.. I'm back in "touch" with my new tablet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.