Who got their Fujitsu Q550 today? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Techgeek32, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

The Flyer is definitely not for experienced tablet pc users for sure, but I lovemind for what I use it for. I have an HP Slate as well for more robust inkling and annotating. Aside from the larger screen and better inkling experience the added cost was not enough to trade my Slate for hhe Fujitsu. If the performance was heads anf tails better than my Slate I would have definitely kept the Fujitsu.

2. Techgeek32

It is without a doubt. It feels very similar to the Wacom on the EP121. If the performance was better I would have ditched my Slate, but it wasn't so I will hang onto my Slate until something better shows up. I have been using my HTC Flyer stylus on the HP Slate and it is a better inkling experience I think. My opinion is if you mostly ink and dont need any media usage or web browsing yhe Fujitsu is worth making hhe switch. If you use your Slate for more than just inking, save your money for something else or wait for Fujitsu to fix the bugs (if they can) and get it then.

3. Techgeek32

I believe that it is a standard chip. The Fujitsu is clearly targeted at the enterprise user and not anyone using it for media purposes. That is why I am keeping my Slate until something better. If someone could fit a core I5 in a 10" Windows tablet I will be first in line.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting about the "improved N-trig pen expereince"

But how exactlly is is better?

Is the Pen redesigned? From all the promo material, the Q550's pen just looks like a recolored Slate 500 pen. I as well purchased the HTC Flyer Pen to use on my Slate 500...and although slightly better, its far from what I'd consider a huge improvement.

Does the pen's hovering still lag? The N-trig digitial pencil by standby isn't as pixel accurate when hovering compared to a wacom pen. If your hovering it and move the tip around in tiny circles, you'll see its not as accurate. There is a way to trick the Slate into going into high/res tracking but its not really that useful in longterm. Has n-trig fixed this for the Q550?

And the million dollar question, How does Photoshop Perform with the Wintab Driver?

Photoshop CS4 and CS5 are a nightmare to use on the Slate 500 with the n-trig wintab driver. CS3 is slightly still usable, but for any art related task photoshop is the worst program one can use on the Slate.

Thats why I thought it very odd the Fujitsu showed the Q550 running photoshop on promotional photos, since its been made clear that N-trig and Photoshop is not a good combination. Can anyone test CS5 to confirm if its still frequently missing brush strokes and vectoring like crazy?

And how easily does it register pressure? Even with using programs like Sketchbook Pro which run much better on the Slate500...I still found it unfavorable for art use since the way the N-trig pen's design makes it hard to control the pressure.

5. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

How does the Q550 compare to the Slate 500 on the WPrime benchmark?

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ohhh eck! It doesn't look like the Q550 is a winner which is a damn shame as i had high hopes, what with the removable battery and extended options; how on earth could they get it wrong?

Maybe the SSD drive is very, very slow as that alone can save a machine with a naff cpu (Heck, it saved the Archos 9 for me)

P.s. I currently have the Acer W500 with the C-50 cpu and after tweaks the thing flies like a flying onion so 'surely', the Q550 can be made to go that bit faster? (Why oh why do they stick single core processors in anything these days)
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-C-50-Notebook-Processor.40960.0.html

7. Techgeek32

I am not an artist so I can't answer your question directly. All I can say is that I found the Fujitsu to be as smooth, quiet and accurate as the ASUS EP121 that I had. I would not go as far as saying it is quicker to identify the pen. I don't work that way or worry about that. As for running any kind of photoshop, I don't see how. Mine was barely able to run a 360p youtube video, plus the matte screen really does not produce the best color or shade reproduction. It does have a bright screen (at least twice as bright as the Slate and EP121) at 400 NITS, but I was expecting it to be brighter in prerson. I don't really like matte screens anyway, so those out there that do will love it.
    I brlieve that the extra matte layer on the screen helps to improve the inking, but I would not run anything other than Office or simples programs on this. It is designed for a niche market and will fit there nicely. Like I said in an earlier post. If you are prefer a windows tablet and the EP121 is too big, get the Fujitsu. The performance is comparable to the HP Slate, but the screen size is perfect and the inking feel is similar to Wacom. Don't expect to stream Hulu or Netflix on this device, it was designed for business. No volume controls on the device, have to use software, but the one speaker is very low in volume anyway. the N-Trig pen is the same as on the HP Slate. It even has the same top cap that broke on everyone, but the nib is a little different. The reason for yhe quiter inking appears to be the matte screen. It feels unlike the glass display on the Slate, no clacking or slipping while inking. I feel that the touch is less sensative due to the screen as well. The Fujitsu is the best 10inch or under Windows tablet available right now. Keep your iPad or Android tablet to handle your media.

8. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

Lets all not get too carried away with the slowness issue on the Q550. I knew it was single core with the trade off being low power consumption. Its not an EP121 with an I5, which is a powerful tablet but it's large to carry, and 2 hr battery (not replaceable ). Its not an LE1700, which I use as a desktop, but weighs 4.5 lbs I so I can't carry it everywhere. I don't think it going to run Photoshop like A desktop machine. Its not an IPad which gets its speed and coolness by running one small app at a time one very low memory and processor . Its a small, lightweight , carry everywhere , pen based, multi-tasking windows tablet that can run most windows based software quite well with great battery life. The inking experience is excellent, but Windows touch experience is not there yet , which is not Fujitsu's fault. My work productivity has just took a big leap

9. Techgeek32

I was thinking about the W500 too. You can't really ink on it though because it does not have a digitizer, right? I still think that 10" is the sweet spot for a Windows tablet. Maybe the Motion CL 900 will be tweaked to run faster than the Fujitsu, they do have the same processor though. If there was a Core I5 or I7 in a 10" tablet with 4GB of Ram that would be perfect.

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know. I'm purely basing the performance based on other tablets such as the Slate 500 and W500.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.