Who got their Fujitsu Q550 today? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Techgeek32, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I compared them side by side. You can do your own comparison as well. If it was faster I would definitely say so. I have no reason to disparage the Fujitsu and sugar coat the Slate. I know the specs show something different, but real world the HP was quicker. It could be the SSD or the software integration. I am scratching my head too. I know some others have experienced the slow performance as well. Even though I had to return my unit I won't recorder until someone proves yhat mine was a fluke.

2. Techgeek32

Finally someone else that can back me up. It is slow. It will be home for artists or just inkers, but I have to review videos every once in a while and this won't cut it. I sldo opened programs side by side with the slate and the timing was either the same or the Slate was faster. I will reiterate that the inkling is superb, but the touch sensitivity is much better on yhe Slate.

3. Techgeek32

I didn't do any tweaks at all. Not much software other than the Fujitsu touch enhancements. I removed pretty much everything and still poor performance. CPU and memory usage was about the same on both. My testing showed that there wasn't one process that the Q550 completed faster than the HP Slate. That is why I am keeping my Slate and not rendering the Q550.

4. Techgeek32

Heat both on AC and off of it. Not 100% of hhe time, but there were about 5 times in one day it was too hot to hold on to. I was only inkling in Journal with no other program running.

Slow as in installing or downloading software. Couldn't watch a smooth YouTube video above 360p. Could not stream HBO or any tv programs. It couldn't play the Thor trailer at all, but the Slate could play the 1080p version fine. Web browsing was slow as molasses. I am sure there are some updates that Fujitsu will provide, but the can't improve the speed enough for me to get another one.

I calibrated the screen several times and no touch improvement. I believe the matte screen is the culprit.

The screen was glued to one side, but nothing else seemed to ne affected. The only ptonlem was that the camera was covered. WiFi card is some off brand I have never heard of. The WiFi on my Slate is the best I have seen on a tablet so far, except the HTC Flyer.

5. Techgeek32

I didn't think it was dual-core. That would explain the performance. The battery life should be better, but I could easily get 5 hours on my Slayer which was plenty for me. I also tried my HTC Flyer stylus on the Slate and it is a little quieter. Plus you have the added eraser button that works too. The nun doesn't have as much play as the HP stylus. The Flyer styled worked on the Fujitsu as well.

6. Techgeek32

I was always running at high performance. If I have to tweak it this much if is not worth my time. My Slate runs faster without tweaks.

7. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Scribbler - Standard Member

could the high video performance on the hp slate be due to the super amazing broadcom crystal hd video accelerator?

alright, to be honest, I work for broadcom so I'm just trying to make it sound good. but seriously, it is a good chip that can drastically improve video performance. does the q550 have anything like this or is it just relying on the standard video chip?

8. Techgeek32

I didn't have time to do a fresh install but my Slate is running faster without a fresh install, so I don't see the Fujitsu improving enough to replace my Slate, even with tweaks.

9. Techgeek32

it does come with a restore disc, but not worth the time to do that as those tweaks will not improve the performance beyond my Slate. If I only needed it for Office and inkling I would keep it, but that is not the case.

10. Techgeek32

I am keeping my HP Slate and picking up the Sprint Flyer on the 24th and returned my BB Flyer today because It has 32GB of storage and included pen with 4g capability. The BB Flyer has 16GB, $80 extra for the pen and is $100 more. I run a small business and am going to college. If you just need note taking ability and love Android the Flyer is perfect, but I do a lot of annotating of PDF's and the Flyer has it but there is only one inking option and the line is too thick. The screen shot inkling is great and the battery life is 8-12 hours depending on settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.