Who got their Fujitsu Q550 today? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Techgeek32, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowcrash101

snowcrash101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you elaborate what the difference is between Auto and Dual? Thanks

2. Tablet360

Tablet360 Pen Pal - Newbie

Not to hijack this thread, but I was in the same boat as you and purchased the HTC Flyer as an "electronic notepad" device and have been disappointed to say the least.

The pen-on-glass writing experience is hard for me to control (too slick). I've tried to improve it with a Zagg screen protector, but that made it too rough.

The worst part is that the notepad software (that links with Evernote) is not ready for prime time. You cannot erase your ink easily, there is no copy/paste functionality that I can find, nor can you 'grab' some of the text and make it bigger/smaller, etc. It is simply writing on the screen and no more; just like paper, but without the tactile feedback. Also, the screen update becomes very slow if you have more that 4 or 5 pages of text.

If you have used OneNote in the past, this will be a tremendous step back for you.

The HTC Flyer is fantastic for portability, email, and web-browsing. I love to carry it in my inside business jacket pocket and have it with me all the time, but the inability to take notes, the lack of sophisticated software (e.g. Office & OneNote), and perhaps my inexperience with Android and familiarity with Windows means I am sending the Flyer back to BestBuy and looking at either the Q550 or the HP Slate 500.

3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

THE N-Trig digitizer recognizes four modes:

Pen only (no touches register except those by the pen)
    Touch only (no pen touches register)
    Auto (when the pen comes in range, touch is disabled until a non-pen
    double tap occurs to re-enable touch)
    Dual (pen and touch both recognized).

N-Trig's palm rejection is not great in dual mode. This is a continuing point of frustration with users. AUTO or Pen only improves the inking experience.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So new owners ... is the verdict that N-Trig inking is actually better on the 550 than the Slate 500? If so, could you elaborate (those of you who have or had Slates)? I'm all ears.

Bronsky:cool:

5. Bishop

Bronsky:

So far, the answer is inking is better on the Q550 than the 500. Caveat: I won't get to install Office and put OneNote through the paces until later tonight.

6. Taser

Taser Pen Pal - Newbie

I have another question for those who have the Q550 and/or HP Slate. How does each atom processor handle OneNote when there is a large and/or image heavy file? I understand that the atom is fine enough to handle inking, although I am wondering how navigation throughout the file handles when you might have a very large file (such as a set of university lecture notes). I would be very thankful if anyone could comment!

7. Rigel

Rigel Scribbler - Standard Member

I am starting to think that you have had a bad unit, which is unfortunate. I have read a couple other reviews on the Q550, and none seem to be mentioning the extreme heat problem you are describing. I also wonder if the heat issues and poor touch experience are related because I have not heard any other complaints about the touch experience.

I am interested in knowing more about the slow WIFI speeds if anyone else is experiencing difficulties.

Some benchmarks on the SSD, and if anyone has had a look at the guts yet to see what is upgradeable or not. It would be nice to put a bit bigger of a SSD in it.

Also I would be interested to know what the battery life is like inking in one note. I heard that it can be pretty rough on draining the battery.

8. Bishop

Fair question. I didn't run into any of the problems TechGeek32 described.

WiFi ran just as well for me (or slightly better) than the HP all day today. I was using a Verizon 4G card with both the Slate 500 and Q550 on at the same time.

After I changed the power settings to Balanced, Q550 ran snappier. Q550 loaded Word 2010 in less than 3 seconds compared to 4+ to load it on the Slate 500. I haven't had time to run a long video, and tomorrow will be my first day with OneNote for the day. I'll report back.

9. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not having any issues with the pen/stylus and the inking experience using the Q550. It's the same or better than I've experienced with the Wacom Motion LE1700. I really like the pen tip that "gives" very slightly which produces the pressure sensitivity. It works very well in my opinion and produces a nice thick / thin line, whenever you slightly press. The screen is smooth, not noisy, and the pen flows along the surface like silk.

Touch is another issue. I'm trying to chang the settings, switch to auto mode, chang to balanced power mode, etc. as was mentioned in other posts. This may improve things. Until then, these are my observations - the touch works great to select / launch items. It's the flicks, pinch to zoom, and lagging response that are the issues. For example, in Google maps, you should be able to zoom in on maps, twist and drag the map around. It's just not that easy. It works, but it's clumsy and not as smooth as you would like. Perhaps when Win 8 comes out this will all change.

Bottom line is I'm definitely keeping it, and it does note taking extrememly well - that's what I really want in meetings. Touch is fun, but the pen produces work. Oh by the way, the swipe onscreen keyboard is another great feature worthy of note.

10. no i's on me

no i's on me Pen Pal - Newbie

Does this refer to a sliding letter keyboard à la android? If so that's a great feature, didn't realize the q550 implemented that.

...anxiously awaiting receipt of my order...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.