Who got their Fujitsu Q550 today? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Techgeek32, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

One really positive comment on the Q550....
    You can pull the Q550 out of the dock anytime without any problems. I've been using it for over a week now, with dual screens, several programs running, not in sleep mode, and just disconnect it from the dock - no issues at all. Write some notes with the pen, put it back in the dock - no problems. Pulling it in and out of the dock at will doesn't affect it at all.

This is a very good feature, as other tablets I had always had to be put into sleep mode, then removed from the dock, what a hassle that was. And, if you forgot to sleep, the tablet got all messed up and needed a reboot.

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

How is the performance and resolution of the second monitor? Do you run both screens at the same time in 'mirror' mode or 'extended?' Do you use a usb keyboard and mouse while docked?

Sorry about all the questions but nobody has posted how all this works yet.

3. dceggert

One member was told 6/21 by Fujitsu Canada that the shipments are arriving now and going out shortly.

4. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I keep getting in-stock notices from B&H photo.

FYI

5. dceggert

Yup, they were out yesterday and this afternoon (6/22) but they are showing 'in stock' this evening.

Compsource is showing an expected delivery tomorrow (6/23).

6. mittmark

Either mode works fine, usually I use extended with Chrome on one monitor and OneNote on the other. I use the USB ports for keyboard & mouse. There is no audio jack on the dock, so you have to plug in external speakers to the Q550. Also, I use the HDMI jack on the Q550 to drive the 2nd monitor. Let me think... can an IPad do any of that...NO.

Okay, I must admit, I'm a compulsive multi-tasker. I've also kept the Motion LE1700 docked in the middle of the Q550, 10" screen and the 19" extended monitor. The LE1700 basically is the "desktop" now and stays in it's own dock. The Q550 gets pulled and taken when I go to work. So, I run two separate computers at once, on 10" / 12" / 19" screens. So, the slow video on the Q550 really doesn't matter much, it's fine at the office where I don't watch much video. At home and docked, I can run anything including Netflix or music on the LE1700, while I internet search or OneNote on the Q550.

7. simpleatsh

simpleatsh Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Guys, greetings from China.

I have been considering importing the Q550(since it's not officially on sale in China yet, typical FUJITSU) but I am a bit concerned about the video performance, I will use it mainly for note taking and doodling, but it doesn't hurt to occasionally enjoy some video clips on this tablet, especially knowing that it has a gorgeous display.

I read it somewhere that GMA 600 is essentially the PowerVR 535 graphic core which should handle high bit-rate video at ease, but for whatever reason INTEL chose not to utilize the driver from ImaTec, which might explain the poor video performance.

I found it on a chinese website that the latest driver for this graphic core is 8.14.6.3056, which should improve performance. Just out of curiosity, has anybody tried this driver yet? I think it was released on May 16th.

Here's the link to the Chinese website:
    IntelÓ¢ÌضûIntel Atom GMA 600¼¯³ÉÏÔ¿¨Çý¶¯8.14.6.3056°æ ÏÔ¿¨Çý¶¯ Ó¢Ìضû Çý¶¯Ö®¼Ò

Just hit the big green down-pointing arrow, it should start the download.

Thanks a lot, and sorry if somebody already posted this somewhere.

8. dceggert

OMGosh, that it is too funny...all you need now, my friend, is another monitor for the Motion and you will be in multitasking heaven!

By the way, I also have two puters going most of the time. My TC1100 is a great couch control unit while the T580 does heavy lifting duties over on the desk. Here is the cool part though..I run Windows Live Mesh on both and keep the files synchronized between them. If I change something on the TC1100 it shows up on the T580. If I change something on the T580, vice versa. Pretty cool...no more file moving and losing....

9. mittmark

I've never used Live Mesh, but will try it now that you said it works well.

10. pgh1969pa

pgh1969pa Scribbler - Standard Member

My CL900 with the Gobi 3g WWAN just shipped today. I can't figure out why Fujitsu delayed shipping the Q550 with the same exact card until August and Motion is shipping them out now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.