Who got their Fujitsu Q550 today? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Techgeek32, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowcrash101

snowcrash101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is that really the case? Not being able to lock down alternative booting from a usb is a basic security flaw

2. pyrex

pyrex Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, here are my two cents on the machine after a couple days use and scouring every forum I could find.

First off, the screen is beautiful, I am always a fan of matte over glossy for professional usage. It is about the same brightness as the iPad, and outshines most of my LCD monitors.

It feels good to hold, tablet buttons are convenient, would rather have a volume rocker than a wireless on/off switch though. Battery is great (got the 4 cell) as is the fingerprint reader.

The touch screen is only good, tap-typing with the keyboard is quick with multi-touch. It does not always click exactly where you click, frequently choosing a spot at the periphery of your finger rather than the center. This can make browsing a PITA, the drag down gesture is a horrible way to scroll, a two finger scroll would make more sense. I frequently have to resort to using the sliders on the right hand side and on the bottom in order to scroll, which are hard to press on just right. The other gestures are absolutely horrible and barely work even after changing the settings, not really sure if all applications support it. Navigating this website was truly a pain when trying to press the small numbers to change to the next page of a thread.

Now that that's over with - the really bad news. Processor performance is inexcusably poor for a modern machine with a new chipset. It has trouble playing fully loaded 360p videos on youtube plugged in on high performance settings. Even my old Apple iBook g4 (~8 years old) doesn't choke on that low of a quality. I have not tested h.264, hopefully that is accelerated.

The ram is always at least 60% in use, I managed to finally make the CPU idle at 4%, but the second you open one internet explore/google chrome page (doesn't really matter which website) it will stay around 80%. It really is unacceptable that a $1000 computer (after tax and additional 1 year on the warranty) can hardly handle a single application running. Readyboost is not supported without major system changes, I did, however, increase my vram with an ultra SD card - definitely helped performance as it only had 2gb of VRAM and Windows 7 recommends 3gb. After playing with this machine, even changing to butt-ugly classic mode, I realize that a Windows 7 device running background tablet processes truly needs 4gb of DDR2 ram, maybe 2gb of DDR3 would cut it.

Oh yeah, it scored a 2.1 on the performance test in power save mode. Originally I wanted to put Adobe Lightroom on it, I have severe doubts now on its ability to handle 18megapixel RAW files. I also was going to try and install Starcraft II, and use the lowest settings (it can run on a netbook) just to see if it would work in a touch interface environment, probably not going to waste my time now.

The first day of use it had more fatal windows error than I care to recall. I used the original video driver before upgrading, I'm not really sure what they fixed as it didn't qualm any issues I was having. When changing orientation from portrait to landscape the left or right 1/3 of the screen still continually freeze up and becomes UNUSABLE. 75% of the time the solution to this is to change the orientation again. Auto orientation is not spectacular and I leave it off. At one point the top 1/5 of the screens pixels looked interpolated and duller than the bottom 4/5's, it did go away after a couple hours and relentless restarts. Like others have said, my front camera is also not mounted in the center.

THE MOST IMPORTANT complaint/grievance I have had, the one reason I started my trouble shooting search to begin with, which led me to register here to prospective buyers. The N-Trig stylus pen...

Well, how to say this, ah - it doesn't work. It doesn't matter if the tablet is in auto or dual mode, the stylus does not recognize 95% of the time. I have changed the included tip, tried finding documentation on how to use it, even brought new AAAA's (yes quadruple A, when did they come out?!) thinking the included battery was the issue. When it does work, briefly, generally 30 seconds at a time, it is a true dream to use, handwriting recognition can surprisingly turn my illegible scrawl into text, that is before you press you accidentally press the STYLUS pen button and it TURNS itself OFF. Not only that, to turn it back on every time I have to unscrew the cap (which likes to thread where it screws in BTW) take the battery out and put it back in. I'm not sure if it's shorting out, I've had limited success not screwing in the cap all the way... very limited. I also thought that perhaps it was the screen protector I ordered with the machine, peeled it off, still no-go. Pressure sensitivity is ok, tracking is fast and accurate, I never truly understood why they did away with the stylus as it is much better than a capacitive screen.

Anyway, to my final point. I am returning my q550 and already ordered an i7 Lenovo x220t. The Q550 has many good qualities, but at this point in time the processors and ram are not up to par for an enjoyable experience, nor is the software they provide, which oddly enough is not installed by default. Hopefully Windows 8 makes slate usage more friendly, 7 is definitely a huge step up from XP. I'm looking forward to seeing where Fujitsu take the stylistic next, windows slates are definitely not ready for prime time (sans perhaps that super pricey acer).

Personally I would wait for faster chips, more ram, esata/expresscard/usb3.0/thunderbolt, and a slightly higher resolution screen. 1440x900 would be very welcome as portrait mode frequently cuts off the side of most websites. Resolution is only now becoming a real selling factor for computers so I hope to see denser displays soon, they are definitely worth their weight. I'm personally not buying a new TV until 2k comes down in price as I refuse to watch 3D in 540p.

3. poof

poof Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you reinstall windows before testing it? Ive had powerful desktop systems choke on the bloat that comes preinstalled.

4. pyrex

pyrex Pen Pal - Newbie

Nothing is really installed on it besides Windows when you first start up besides the touch and pen input ability. You have to install almost everything after the first boot up. I don't currently feel the need to go through the hassle to install Windows on a optical-driveless device, especially after everything I already read.

5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Even though a devices like the Dell Duo, Acer W500, Archos 9 all benefited from a clean install? (W500, over 1 minute to boot etc)

:)

..But I know what you mean as it is a pain in the rear. Shame that the touch seems a bit odd as it's usually easy to scroll on these things :(

" I realize that a Windows 7 device running background tablet processes truly needs 4gb of DDR2 ram, maybe 2gb of DDR3 would cut it."

I don't really agree. 2gb can be perfectly fine. If I can make an Archos 9 work well then the Q550 can be made better. I have the W500 with it's lowly 2gb ram and that works well... 35 second boot. I must admit that the tablet processes can be a pain. I usually tweak the heck out of a machine to ensure 0% tme (if possible) then install the wacom/pen driver etc as the drivers do suck in a big way. Not sure about n-trig but when I had the Latitude XT & later on, XT2, I didn't really experience much pain. All in all Windows 7 can work very, very well with 2Gb ram but NOT if it's got 70+ or 50+ processes all running at once (Dell Duo was basically crippled straight out of the box).

Either way, it does sound like the Q550 is going to get a beating for having a whole load of the standard MS services running which is a damn shame. MS... please learn with Windows 8.

P.s. There's a rumour that Win8 might adopt the same install system as Server 08: Basic install with the option to install segments and facilities and all I can say is, "About time". (Although it will probably confuse a load of people)

6. poof

poof Pen Pal - Newbie

Well if the ram is always at 60% with nothing running then theres something wrong with the current installation, i have 2gb in my laptop with win7 and its sits at 25%. No tweaks, just default install. Why would anyone trust software from a hardware manufacturer.....

7. excalibur1814

Superfetch will be doing it's thing and caching away.. probably.

8. motionfan

motionfan Pen Pal - Newbie

I was really considering this device to replace my LE1700 until this post developed. Why is it so hard to build a Windows tablet with enough battery life/performance to move to a new generation of WinTel tablets?

This is really frustrating. The IPad is a toy, Android has no enterprise software available for my profession, and Windows tablets are either heavy, slow, or short on battery life. I feel even Motion messed up with the heavy J3500 instead of making a lighter version of the LE1700.

9. excalibur1814

It's not difficult, but, the oems are damn lazy and not awesome enough to take a 'chance' as that's what they'd be doing. Now, with the news of Windows 8, none of them will (probably) release anything of worth leaving a gap in the market until 2012.

Sad, shame and all a bit silly really.

Acer W500: If the screen were a wacom with stylus it would be fantastic
    Asus EP121: If the battery weren't so poor... Slice battery add-on would have been perfect
    Fujitsu Q550: Dedicated HD decoder would have been nice, as would a dual core cpu. Oh well

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Actually, I have a bit of a different perspective...

In the old traditional sense, the OEM's were at the mercy of what MS thought the OS should have in it and how it would work, and also at the mercy of what Intel decided to do for CPU's.

If the OEM's are unwilling to take a chance, what about Intel? Look at the OakTrail...it was supposed to be capable of 1080p video playback but for political reasons they did not use the drivers for the video chip. They blew that. Then, there was the delay in release from January to the end of March...for what reason? It is related to the dropping of the turbo boost? Intel also missed the mark on the TDP; it was supposed to be half of the Z540 but it turns out now that it is on par if not a bit more. Now we are getting comparisons of the OakTrail to the ARM chips that it was to 'blow away' and it sure looks like it is Intel as usual. Then there were the issues leading up to the recall of the early I3/I5/I7. New machines coming out with that chip were delayed as well. How many times does a manufacturer need to wait from the day a chip is supposed to get 'ok to sell' until it actually does? In a highly competitive market a 3 or 4 month delay is a killer.

So here in 2011 we see some new developments:
    1. MS is switching gears away from just Intel architecture with Win 8. Ouch, this is a big deal. ARM uses less power and is now on par with the speed of the 'new and radical' OakTrail.
    2. OEMs are not picking up OakTrail as fast as Intel would like and the rumor from the industry blogs is that the adoption of CedarTrail is slow as well. Have the OEMs lost interest in Intels promisses?
    3. Until MS decided to expand to other than Intel architecture chips the OEMs had no real choices other than Intel and AMD. Both keep makinig missteps and the OEMs keep getting the blame, the warranty, and the negative comments.

So in a nut shell, the root of the issue is really the decentralization of the PC business into competing or sometimes counteracting goals. In the PC business you have the OS maker going in one direction, the CPU maker going in another, and the hardware manufacturers (1,000s of the them) trying to integrate the system into the least expensive, best performing, and lowest warranty system they can and deliver it on time and on budget. If the OEMs seem lazy to adopt new tech it is likely because they have been burned so many times they want to see the stuff work before they adopt it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.