Who got their Fujitsu Q550 today? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Techgeek32, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The Z670 is single core. Intel® Atom? Processor Z670 (512K Cache, 1.50 GHz)with SPEC Code(s)SLC2P Base clock is slower than the Slate's Atom but it is supposto have the ability to turbo to 1.8 ghz. Sounds like the turbo is not right yet. The new atom does not support Virtualization? What is that about? The Z540 did.

Congrats to those getting their Fuji slates. The news on the N-Trig digitizer is encouraging. Maybe there will be a new pen or update for us slate owners later in the year.

Bronsky:cool:

2. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

That's also what I was thinking... Get rid of Aero and switch to a performance based theme, maybe even turn the disk encryption off and see if it gets faster. Also check power settings while running on battery, it may have reduced the speed significantly to make the battery last a good long time. I would suggest trying it plugged in, but a tablet that requires being plugged in all the time is just stupid.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yea, I also highly suspect that if you did a fresh install of Windows (possible to do using the Win 7 key your computer came with, you just need to download the iso... here is the large thread on NBR about how to do it LEGAL Windows 7 Download Links (Just like Vista before!!!) ), do that, and tweak some settings and profiles... then it should run cooler, faster, and should have even longer battery life

When I first got my 2730p it came with the standard install of Windows Vista off the HP recovery discs... it ran like crap: it was hot running, kinda sluggish, and had terrible battery life, after doing a fresh install of Vista and some tweaks it was running much much better. You would be surprised what doing a fresh install and some tweaks can accomplish

4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's a shame that Fujitsu didn't release the Q550 with a few of these tweaks in place as places such as Endadget, PC Pro etc, etc will probably give the thing a bad review.

Will they ever learn?

5. Greg_E

Where did the idea of the dual core processor come from? I just went over all the Fujitsu pages I could find and never saw that mentioned.

Assuming it came with a restore disk, it would be fairly safe to try a clean install. If it didn't come with the disks then I would suggest making a clone of your drive before fooling with it too much. Try Clonezilla, should work fine for a complete disk image.

6. pgray007

pgray007 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm struggling to decide between a Flyer and Q550 primarily as an "electronic notepad" device. Please tell us what you end up keeping and why.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Where did the idea of the dual core processor come from...>>

...The Q550 (an Atom Z670, I believe) is not dual core; it is a single core with two threads (hyperthreading). Some CPU monitor gadgets display this as if the processor had two cores, leading to confusion...

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

The early on 'experts' were reporting on the new (then) news of the OakTrail back in early 2010 or late 2009 that it was going to be a dual core CPU. See this thread where I was trying to figure out the reality:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/motion-computing/37820-cl900-oak-trail-cpu.html

9. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Overall very positive.

The slate balances well in hand portrait and landscape. I am NOT experiencing problems with the touch. I did change the digitizer from DUAL to AUTO, which helped.

Out of the box, I had no phantom click problems and went throught initial setup with touch and pen. The phantom clicks were so bad when I unboxed the HP 500 i had to scrounge around for a USB keyboard.

10. Greg_E

I would be very interested in performance with h.264 encoded video files, I will gladly upload some samples if someone wants to check. Of primary concern are the files for some training I am doing, these are 800x600 h.264 with AAC mono audio. Next would be files from a couple of cameras that record to h.264 with stereo AAC audio.

The training videos I can upload are available free from the site where I bought the other content, so copyright isn't really an issue. The stuff from the camera is mine so again no copyright issues. The camera stuff I could make public if there is interest, the learning content only by private message since I should not distribute these conversions to the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.